Newbie from Taupo/Wellington

BOI/Northern region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
icedriller
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Predator 440

Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Hello Northland crew! I'm coming up for a holiday at a mates place in Whangarei over New Years and I'm looking for some local knowledge on where to go for a paddle and get a feed.
Be good to meet some local kayak fishing nuts, and find some new spots and go for a fish. My friend up here has a yak ( not fishing rigged) so I want to try and get him interested in the sport too.
Anyway hook me fullas
Viking Profish 440, with some fancy bits on it...

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 am

My advice to you over newyears would be avoid the Main channels of the Harbor, bream bay or any of the other beaches were skiing and or needless hooning takes place :D

Info for that time of year is best suggested by avoid all others and you will catch fish, The noise levels are huge and the fish get shy, places like Langs beach, Teal, Helena etc are all worth a look and make sure you are well marked, kids tend not to look where they are towing mates round on sea biscuits :D around about the 8th the madness slows down a bit and the fishing starts to pick back up.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:51 am

As MM says, try and find a spot that's as far away as possible from any boat launching facility...
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:09 am

Give me a shout closer to the time and I'll see what I am doing and perhaps take you to a little old spot or two.
Cheers
Karl
Last edited by Yakfisherkarl on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

MadMike

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:37 am

Ah ha, been on the rums when you wrote that aye Karl :P
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

MadMike

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 am

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:As MM says, try and find a spot that's as far away as possible from any boat launching facility...
The bay of washing machine is nuts as well aye in a Kayak I would imagine?

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 am

MadMike wrote:Ah ha, been on the rums when you wrote that aye Karl :P
Good spotting MM :lol:..

Yakfisherkarl
Kayak Model: Profish
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 2691

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:26 pm

YakFisho Snapps wrote:
MadMike wrote:Ah ha, been on the rums when you wrote that aye Karl :P
Good spotting MM :lol:..
What's wrong with you fullas, nowt wrong with my posting and I downt DOOO RURRRM. :drunk: :drunk:

That' s what happens when you do one handed stuff, you only get half the job done :rofl: :rofl:
Cheers
Karl

Karl Pereira
President and Vice Treasurer
Northland Kayak Fishing Club Inc
http://www.northlandyakfishers.org.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook page - Nkfc NZ
Email northlandyakfishers@gmail.com

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:18 pm

MadMike wrote:
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:As MM says, try and find a spot that's as far away as possible from any boat launching facility...
The bay of washing machine is nuts as well aye in a Kayak I would imagine?
Yep, like crossing the Southern Motorway at times. Even the charters get on the VHF from time to time complaining about boaties breaching the 5kt etc laws...

I generally leave them to it, except Boxing Day which is my traditional "sit at the boat ramp and watch the Keystone Cops antics" morning out ]:) It's important to be out of earshot so the contestants can't hear you laughing for best effect.

Tips for yakkers heading out in the usual tourist Hot Spots:
A dawn launch usually sees me back on the beach before most of them have turned up to the ramps.

Don't fish in channels, major routes from A to B or around blind headlands (Seen boats screaming around points, sometimes as close as 5m off the rocks - A yakker wouldn't stand a chance!)

Be proactive, and paddle defensively - assume they haven't seen you. Wave the paddle (blowing a whistle won't help, but might make you feel a bit better)
If it comes to combat stations, Get on VHF Ch16 and broadcast something like " Blue runabout passing Black Rocks you are on collision course with red kayak".
Then point the yak towards the boat in the last moments to present a smaller target and allow you to glance off the side, roll away from the boat to get your noggin away from the twirly things.

Any shenanigans (Like playing chicken), get a boat name, description and preferably photos and file a report with MSA - Some of the roosters out there need a slap around the chops, albeit with a wet bus ticket.

HLD
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

PJay
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 x 2

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:22 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote: A dawn launch usually sees me back on the beach before most of them have turned up to the ramps.
In my experience, the best tip of all.

I fish one of the busiest boating areas, if not the busiest, in the Bay of Islands, but the ignorant and stupid seem to be too busy sleeping off their chemical thought enhancers to be out early.

Back in by 8am on the kayak most times Christmas to end January. I do regularly nearly get run over in my 12ft dinghy, though, fishing through to later in the morning....

The other advice about staying away from boat ramps etc has an added bit for kayaks that's worth keeping in mind - we can launch and retrieve literally miles away from the nearest boat ramp, and fish gnarly territory boats cannot get into. Best fishing, no clowns, no worries.

• Information