Matata Info

BOP region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Accident Prone
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:12 pm

Hi all,

Me and a mate looking to head out off Matata sometime soon (possibly Sunday morning).

Having never fished there before i was hoping for a bit of advice...

What is your ideal wind direction and swell height for this area?. Bearing in mind that we are both very new to kayaking.

I was planning on launching at the small carpark just up the road from Murphy's and heading out in search of sign around the 20m mark.

Do you guys that know this area do better anchored up with bait/berley or just drift with plastics/slow jigs etc?

Thanks in advance,
Josh

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:52 pm

Accident Prone wrote:Hi all,

Me and a mate looking to head out off Matata sometime soon (possibly Sunday morning).

Having never fished there before i was hoping for a bit of advice...

What is your ideal wind direction and swell height for this area?. Bearing in mind that we are both very new to kayaking.

I was planning on launching at the small carpark just up the road from Murphy's and heading out in search of sign around the 20m mark.

Do you guys that know this area do better anchored up with bait/berley or just drift with plastics/slow jigs etc?

Thanks in advance,
Josh
As I'm now pretty much fully converted to plastic and micro jigs I say that's what works but the guys using baits are also catching good fish. Fishing is generally pretty good along that coast just be sure to watch out for that shore dump if the swell is up. For Myself I don't usually risk it when the wave height is any more the 0.7m but you should be able to get in and out safely if your any good at timing the sets. When the wind is blowing from the south it should be pretty calm in close. We've found abit structure off pikowai camp ground which is out around the 17m mark. Only trouble is gate is locked and doesn't open till 7am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accident Prone

Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:36 am

Thanks for that Jordan!. Will go have a look at Pikowai today so I know where I'm going on the day.

Ruff as Gutts
Kayak Model: Swing

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi bud! Sunday is the better day for it. Matata has a nasty shore dump so nothing over .5 of a meter. Both bait and softies work, id just stick to what you know. There are fish out there its just a matter of finding them. If your soft baiting id start in 16mtrs and move out farther after a 30mins or so. Definitely post up pics of your catch!! Have fun!

Accident Prone

Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Cheers Ruff! Yeah Im keeping an eye on that weather window for Sunday morning.

I much prefer lure fishing of all types over bait fishing so will take a few options out.

If it starts looking ugly i might just launch a Whakatane and fish off Kohi Pt. Never fished there other than for gathering livies before heading to White.

Cheers,
Josh

piwikiwi
Kayak Model: PF400

Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:58 pm

Sunday is looking pretty good tiny surf and light wind at this stage. Rogers Rd just down the road is popular loads of foul from about 800m out bait and softies work well.

riverboater
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 400 2+1

Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:28 pm

Good luck, kohi has been fishing ok the last few weeks, got 20+ gurnard off thornton on Wednesday but only 2 snaps, raus have been ok for snapper this week but mostly pannies, As said above matata under. 5 meter swell and southerly wind is fine. Plastics or bait both work well there. Bait at kohi point or it will be a slow day.

Accident Prone

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks very much for info fellas, much appreciated! Will report back if we get out.

• Information