Ohope advice

BOP region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi,

We're heading to Ohope for a family holiday next week, I'm after advice on some places to fish up there? Not after anyone's secret spot, just general advice for the area if possible (NB: I'm used to fishing with bait/berley in Wellington...)? Is there somewhere that had a beach with a cafe/ice-cream shop/wife-creche where there was the possibility of some good fishing and crayfish/paua or scallops too that'd be awesome.

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Ocean Kayak Cabo

riverboater
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: 440 400 2+1

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:00 am

There's not much in the way of shops in ohope itself but 5min over the hill whk has enough to keep the wife busy for a few hours. Swell is looking good next week so getting out should be fine from the beach. If its a bit big for comfort launch at whk heads and its sheltered through the rocks. You will struggle to find a legal paua here, occasional crays between ohope and whk but the holes are silty so you only get one shot at grabbing them before you can't see. Fishing is good @20m off kohi pt (the point outside whk river bar)the last couple of weeks and there's been a few legal kings around too.
Good luck

Beast
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Cabo

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:52 pm

riverboater wrote:There's not much in the way of shops in ohope itself but 5min over the hill whk has enough to keep the wife busy for a few hours. Swell is looking good next week so getting out should be fine from the beach. If its a bit big for comfort launch at whk heads and its sheltered through the rocks. You will struggle to find a legal paua here, occasional crays between ohope and whk but the holes are silty so you only get one shot at grabbing them before you can't see. Fishing is good @20m off kohi pt (the point outside whk river bar)the last couple of weeks and there's been a few legal kings around too.
Good luck
Thanks Riverboater! I'll let you know how we get on :-)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ocean Kayak Cabo

• Information