Canterbury Yak Scene

Canterbury region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
datawiz
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi I am new to town and want to know if there is a Kayak club/group that gets together frequently?

I am based in Woolston and would love to know where are good places to fish?

Would love to meet other like minded people for company and safety out on the water.
:beer: :clap: ;)
Tight lines and not snags

grimace42
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Fish n Barge
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7181

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 am

There are a few of us around (mind you I haven't been active these last few years), there's a facebook group "Canterbury Kayak Fishers Group" or something and a more frequented forum section at fishing.net.nz.

It's about time I got back on the water so if you're keen to head out then give me a yell.
Cobra Fish and Dive Sjørøver II
ZMU7181

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm just north of Chch but haven't been out for a paddle for a while.

For fishing locations there are options all over the peninsula but of varying quality. Motunau is a good spot but really have to pick your days and even then it is not for the faint of heart or ill prepared. Kaikoura is ok but getting harder to catch a feed and watch out for all the boats, particularly the whale watch ones that apparently own the seas and don't have to obey by simple rules like keeping well clear of kayaks and reducing speed :envy:
If the water warms up over summer there is the odd chance of a kingie round Taylors Mistake but never actually seen one caught.
For a longer trip you can't beat a trip to Marlborough for some snapper action.

Cheers
Dale

datawiz

Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:49 am

Cheers Grimace and dwmonty :y: Im a real novice and haven't actually been on a yak for about 12 years. unfit too doesn't help so I am working hard to get in to some sort of condition. I am going to take the yak up and down the Avon a few times just to get the hang of things again and then hoping to get into some easy trips for the first couple to see how I do. I am in Woolston but can travel anywhere and was lucky enough to get a roof rack with the Viking battleship I have bought. :rock: My mobile number is 0272221161 if your gong out and don't mind a handicap to start with and would love to catch up. Wish these winds would wind down as I am not keen on having to paddle back in against these yet though until I know what my capabilities are though. I could pay with :beer: afterwards ;) and a trip north isn't out of the question around Christmas-New Year period for a couple of days.

dwmonty

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:41 am

Until these norwesters ease off I think we will all be grounded. Hoping that next weekend is good as I have permission from the other half to head to Lake Coleridge for the high-country opening day competition. Just have to remember what a trout looks like and how to paddle a yak!

andym
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

Couple of us down south if your ever down this way. Blue cod only couple of hundred meters off shore at Shag Point.

datawiz

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks Andym, Im lucky that work takes me past there every couple of weeks and I had a chance to fly over there last weekend. I see there is plenty of foul close by that looks interesting and would be keen to have ago there. Would an evening fish on a weekday be out of the question?

datawiz

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 pm

dwmonty wrote:Until these norwesters ease off I think we will all be grounded. Hoping that next weekend is good as I have permission from the other half to head to Lake Coleridge for the high-country opening day competition. Just have to remember what a trout looks like and how to paddle a yak!
GL dwmonty, had a chance to have a paddle in the estuary this morning to get the hang of the yak, hoping to do a few more paddles in the next few weeks to get some stamina up.... I think trout may look like a ky only different colour :lol:

andym
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm

I get most fridays off, and every second thursday afternoon. Evenings maybe possible. Great thing down here is you dont have to go out far. Although i only go out to sea.
Andy

grimace42

Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:47 am

I'm contemplating a trip up to Lake Selfe for opening, weather permitting.
ZMU7181

dwmonty

Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 pm

grimace42 wrote:I'm contemplating a trip up to Lake Selfe for opening, weather permitting.
If you get up that way keep an eye out for a green Land Rover with an orange prowler on the roof. Or if on the water my call sign is ZMU3862. If weather is good I'll probably just launch from Ryton Bay but if not will probably look for somewhere more sheltered.
Cheers
Dale

grimace42

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:14 pm

Hit up Kaikoura with a guy from the "other" forum. He'd stayed up there last night and was on the water nice and early, itmust have been half 8 by the time I got up there and found him. Plenty of cod around but no gurnard on the drift. Better than my usual days fishing!
Attachments
IMG_0252.JPG
ZMU7181

datawiz

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:08 pm

grimace42 wrote:Hit up Kaikoura with a guy from the "other" forum. He'd stayed up there last night and was on the water nice and early, itmust have been half 8 by the time I got up there and found him. Plenty of cod around but no gurnard on the drift. Better than my usual days fishing!
Nice fishing :clap: I was reading about this a few minutes ago. Did you catch anything as well Grimace?

grimace42

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:26 pm

Those are mine :-). Wewent for the drfit after he maxed out on cod. Anyone got plans for show weekend? I'm planning on heading up to the Sounds but it looks like I'm Nigel-No-Mates at the moment, all my usual camping buddies have bailed on me.
ZMU7181

gollyfish
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: profisherman

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:37 am

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/ya ... rum23.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the other forum.

• Information