Spring

Canterbury region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Johno
Kayak Make: ocean
Kayak Model: scrambler XT

Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:51 pm

G'day all

Anybody else from Canterbury starting to get itchy feet for a paddle/fish? Absolutely stunning day here in Rangiora, and can't believe I'm cleaning the house ready for a party instead of yakking. Will rain next weekend of course.

The sea looks like it's finally starting to clean up a bit, but I've heard blue cod and crays fairly patchy; hopefully some kahawai and searun trout around the river mouths soon?

Has anyone local been out, or keen to venture out over coming weekends?

I'm thinking maybe a Sumner launch for a trip around Taylors Mistake area, or Motonau Island if conditions are ok.

Cheers. Johno

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Mate I hate to say it but Motunau was perfect today. So calm that I was barely drifting at times, no need to anchor. Caught 6 blue cod (one was undersize and two others that were legal but small went back) and one dogfish.
Must have been close to 80 trialers parked when I went out.
Went to the Ashley near the mouth last weekend but no trout.
Cheers
Dale

Johno

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:06 am

S......t, well done Dale-had heard was nice and clear up there, and probably just as good today. I usually use SP's up there to avoid mucking around with bait, which generally seems to result in bigger blueys, but the occasional loss to couta.

Oh well no doubt plenty of good fishy days to come over next 6 months.

Cheers. Johno

dwmonty

Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:23 pm

What style of SP's are you using and how are you fishing them?
Had thought about trolling one around while drifting but decided against it, which I was glad of when something rather large came up close to the kayak.
I reckon there would have been close to 80 trailers parked when I went out but from what I saw they didn't seem to be catching much, for once in my life I think I was one of the more successful anglers on the day.
Cheers
Dale

Johno

Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:44 pm

G'day Dale

To be honest I've used just about every size/shape/colour Sp up there, and all seem to work to some degree with blueys (being guts's). Usually just drift thru a favourite patch giving it a wind up now and then, then row back up current and do it again. Strangely have often had then follow slow windups right to the yak and then grab it.
Favourite would probably be small black jobbies, or pink, but I really don't think it matters too much if the water's clear enough. I've had some frustrating days when dirty, and lucky to get a bite.

I've seen other people up there in kayaks do ok towing a set of 3 of those little plastic squid imitation lures and a jig on the bottom, both for cod and kawahai-that's the plan for my next trip, but would need to get them down, and also keep out of the kelp forests.

Johno

Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:48 pm

G'day Cantabs (home of another trophy after the weekend-who needs a shield anyway).

Rushed trip to Motunau yesterday afternoon, and yes not the best place with a bit of wind getting up, making for a tough paddle back from the island, especially for no. 2 son in a little baby yak. Water clarity probably contributed to results. One decent Bluey on SP, but then it was dog fights time (PITA's). Good exercise tho, warming up for Summer.

I'm heading up next saturday and sunday if anyones interested (weather permitting, but looking at early start before the wind).

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:17 am

Hmm - Vicki and I will be in Hanmer after xmas with the kayaks. You reckon its worth a drive out to the coast?

dwmonty

Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Will watch the weather/swell forecast and see how I'm getting on with the projects round home. If I head up will keep an eye out for you.
Cheers
Dale

Johno

Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:42 am

Paul, yes definitely worth a trip if you're only just up the road at Hanmer.

Dale, yea hell of a swell and not pretty with Norwest and dirty water-Another weekend building brownie points for me.

Anybody in the South rushing out to buy the new Ultra? Looks good but a bit of a battleship to transport and sort out for a quick trip!?

Cheers. JC

dwmonty

Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Yeah was all set to go saturday but saw the forecast for 1.5m southerly swell with a northerly wind up to 20knots and decided that a sleep-in and work in the garage sounded a lot better idea.
Looking forward to going to the sounds in two weeks so will have to wait until then for a fish.
As for the Ultra, love the all the storage but I thought the P13 was long enough, that thing wouldn't fit in my garage!

Njord
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish440
VHF Call Sign: ZMZ2756

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:59 am

Thought I'd dust this thread off for a spring clean. I'm in Rangiora too and keehis summer to get out fishing Sumner, akaroa and up North! Already good to have company for safety and sometime to talk to about tips and technique
Njord
ZMZ2756
Profish440 Camo Black and Green

dwmonty

Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:33 pm

Not sure if there will be much fishing in my near future as we are trying to get EQC repairs done, move house and have a nother baby all between now and christmas. Busy times. But if I do get out I'll post here and see if anyone is keen.

• Information