Squid fishing tonight!??

Auckland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:16 pm

Anyone keen? I've never been, so keen to go with some other guys. Happy to do it off a wharf, rocks or from the yaks.

I know, late notice and all that, but I'm keen as!! High tide at around 8:30, so I'm thinking like 7 - 9 or something??

I have a few jigs if people need one - none have been wet yet :P

Sooooo. Lets do it!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

sk8e8

Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Forecast:
For the Manukau and Waitemata Harbours:
Thursday: Northwest 15 knots, easing to northeast 10 knots this evening. Sea slight. Mainly fine with increasing high cloud. Fair visibility in scattered rain developing about midnight.

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

oldwetfish
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: TI
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4324

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Mate, I am so up for that.

I have never tried squid fishing, but having read the article in the Fishing news, I would be happy to put pay to some of those squiddies to recover some of my bait, and maybe put some yummy quid into a Laksa.

PM Me for contact details and to arrange a suitable time / weather..

Jett
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:33 pm

Most prob heading out for a wee squid fish tomorrow after dinner, most prob be around mission bay / tamaki drive if its no good then will head out to devo wharf. Pm me if your keen to come.

Beware im no pro at it :worried:

oldwetfish

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:40 pm

What gear is needed to do a reasonably successful attack on them?

Yakhard
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: TBA

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Keen. Text me :D

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:43 pm

A squid jig, rod reel ect, and a bright light will help. That's it realy.
Caster bay has been holding squid lately. But may need to get into the yak to find them.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sk8e8

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:44 pm

I was thinking about Friday, but I'm babysitting, so not going to happen then.

oldwetfish (and others), you wanna yak it or just try off the rocks or something? Will post a def update when I get home. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to go. I think mission bay area will be a good start - looking at 7-7:30 ish currently. Lots of lights and stuff. Yak will prob be a fun option if its more than just me :D

RE: gear, I've never been. Squid jigs are prob a must, and there are a few other posts here that have some more hints.

If anyone has been out before, even if you're not able to tonight, feel free to post some hints :P I just got the new NZ Fishing News, so going to study up before going :y:

Extreme 605

kayak chris

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Basically Find squid, a bright light will help attract them as it attracts the bait fish, drop down a squid jig, when they strike they hit hard.
Don't strike your rod as it will just pull the jig away from them.
the trick is keep a steady constant pressure on them, any slack line and they will drop it.
Don't wind fast as again it will pull out.

And watch when you get them up, cause they squirt for miles and that ink can get messy :lol:

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sk8e8

Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Ok, permission from the wifey granted, so going to do it. Meeting at Mission Bay car park at 7 and will do the old carry across the sand.

Extreme 605

sk8e8

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Oh, and if you need to txt me, I'm on 021 377 682

WOOOO :D

Extreme 605

Yakhard
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: TBA

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:05 pm

Explaining this one to the gf was hard

"Im going fishing off the kayak at night using lights to attract squid to a lure covered in spikes that will hopefully snag there little legs. Then I will dodge their ink squirts and we might have some fresh calamari"

Haha

oldwetfish

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:10 pm

so when are you doing it??

feel free to bell me on 0800894125 (just press 1)

Matthew.

DJ
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.7

Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 pm

Hey , have fun guys , best of luck!! :y: :y:

kayak chris

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:02 pm

Umm assuming you are either still out there or didn't find the squid ;)
either way let us know how ya got on guys.

Kayaks-

Kingfish killer
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 pm

Damn i only just read this thread , i could of come out tonight to !
Ive been wanting to give this a crack as well .

sk8e8

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm

Well, firstly thanks to Yakhard and oldwetfish who came! Was the first night fish in AGES and I really enjoyed it.

Launched at Mission Bay at about 7, and paddled over to the northern part of the beach. Difted around for a bit without much luck. After playing around with my softbait rod, it grabbed the other to pull it in, and found a weight on the other end. Wound up and it was my first squid!!! WOOT! Yakhard has a pic of it :D

Glad I checked on here what to do from there :) - ink all over the place though hehe.

Well, from my end, thats all the action I got - will let oldwetfish tell his story.

Paddled back, and got in at about 9.

Once home, I tried to clean it up a bit - taking the backbone out and skinning it. I think I need some more practice lol, as it took me like 1/2 hr :P

Scored and cut into squares, I dusted with flour and shallow fried 1/2 of it, then dipped with sweet chilli. My my.. it tasted real good. The wife ate most of it, and I now have permission to go get squid any time :D
IMG_0438[1].JPG

Extreme 605

Steve_M
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4850

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 pm

Nice work! Like KK, wish I'd checked this thread earlier, would have been all over a squid mission tonight....
Viking Predator Profish
ZMT5850

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Fantastic guys!
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

oldwetfish

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:19 pm

Hey thanks, sk8e8 for getting us off our respective couches (and computer desks) to Mission Bay.

I can only continue where you left off, what an awesome night, we drifted around in about 12-15feet of water with a line out for Squids ad a line out for anything else that happened to be around..

After the excitement of watching sk8e8 get plastered by ink squirting everywhere, and a little bit of 'how shall we land the thing', merit points go to Yakhard for bringing the landing net, and viola, we had the frst squid on board.
Well done sk8e8.
And many thanks for the loan of the lure, maybe next time there might be a few more SQz.

But that wasnt the end of the evening, after getting sorted, we dropped our lines, and Bingo rewards in the form of a snapper, not a trophy, but something for the plate.. (BTW, at the time of writing this, I have eaten this particular one, and I must say 2 hours from sea to stomach - nothing nicer).

But this wasnt the end of things, I threw the line back down to the 14 foot bottom, and shortly afterward, the line went nuts, and started to strip off the reel at a great rate.
I added more drag, and bought the (whatever it was) under some form of control, and it just seemed to shoot out everywhere, the others were within eyeshot, and we all agreed - kawhai, but moments later as it came into view... Snapper..
Awesome.
Not the biggest but in 14 feet of water with a light shining, the snapper didnt want anything to do with it, and it seemed to just want to run.

needless to say, Hmmm, tasty morsel that.
good on you sk8e8 for organising what turned out to be the most memorable evenig for some time.
p.s. Home brew apple wine goes very well with fresh snapper.
Attachments
IMG_1435.JPG

• Information