Orere Point - Boxing day

Auckland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
enmei
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:45 pm

Anyone heading to Orere Point tomorrow on Boxing day?

I have never been out there before and hope to give a try, I am looking to hit it in the afternoon/evening. Is there any direction I should head to make the best of the area?
Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:15 pm

I had a shit house of a day. Ff didn't work, rod tip broke, vhf battery broke down, lines got tangled, hooked lots of foul, a boatie sped too close, constantly cussing myself for tangling my lines and realizing i connected the ff wrong when I got back to shore.

Might I add I didn't catch a fish and got an earful from Max (a local fisherman) on how the fishing was fantastic for him. And to top it off my missus and neighbours had giggle when I returned home with nothing.

It was one of those days ;(
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

enmei
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:28 pm

Sounds like it just wasn't the day to be out.

I also had no luck, caught nothing, one of my rods was playing up, the line just wasn't running when the drag was off. Something heavy was also dragging my line along the bottom a couple times, was told it might of been a ray. Not only that, the offshore wind made it a very tiring 1-2km paddle back ;( I was contemplating getting one of those Minn Kota motorized kayaks after that.

Another kayaker there that was out with his daughter the same time as me also had no luck.

And it crossed my mind just stopping at the Kaiaua mussel farm to fish there instead as I was driving up the coast past it. Next time I will just go there.
Profish Reload
Profish 440 evoIV

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Schecter wrote:I had a shit house of a day. Ff didn't work, rod tip broke, vhf battery broke down, lines got tangled, hooked lots of foul, a boatie sped too close, constantly cussing myself for tangling my lines and realizing i connected the ff wrong when I got back to shore.

Might I add I didn't catch a fish and got an earful from Max (a local fisherman) on how the fishing was fantastic for him. And to top it off my missus and neighbours had giggle when I returned home with nothing.

It was one of those days ;(
I went out from Narrow Neck on Tuesday morning. 5:30ish launch,no FF ,connector terminals corroded soooo bad! fished till 11:30ish.....we bought meat for dinner on the way home, enough said! :$

Glass is Class.. dedant

• Information