Night Squid Fishing in Auckland

Auckland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sun May 22, 2016 2:11 pm

B0ydie wrote:Id be interested in coming out with you FOM as i am working at paratai drive at the moment

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
I'm around there too! Paritai, Okahu and Tuahere , it's painful looking at the smooth, flat morning water conditions some days :envy:

Glass is Class.. dedant

B0ydie
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Sun May 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Yeah i know but fishing dont pay the mortgage so i just have to suck it up

Profish 400

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon May 23, 2016 7:46 am

Took my wife to a movie yesterday (Lots of points for Florence Foster Jenkins). Got home at 4:15 and left for Tamaki Drive at 4:45 (last minute decision, so no time to invite anyone along). I moved up and down the wharf and spoke to a few guys, but nobody had caught anything. Eventually the guy next to me caught a squid and a little while later I felt that very distinctive pulsating pulls on my line, but 4 pulses and it was off.
And that was it... Nothing more for me and I didn't see anyone else catch a squid except for that one guy in the 3 hours that I was there.
B0ydie wrote:Id be interested in coming out with you FOM as i am working at paratai drive at the moment
Sounds good, will keep you posted.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

BFIST

Mon May 23, 2016 7:56 am

I went down to the tamaki yacht club with a friend last night at 730 and we caught 4 in total. A couple of good sized ones.

I would stay away from the wharf, you need a sinker to fish it effectively which I don't think is as fun a way to fish for squid.

FatherOfMany

Mon May 23, 2016 8:19 am

BFIST wrote:I went down to the tamaki yacht club with a friend last night at 730 and we caught 4 in total. A couple of good sized ones.

I would stay away from the wharf, you need a sinker to fish it effectively which I don't think is as fun a way to fish for squid.
Grrr, I'm jealous! But good call, the guy who caught the one squid on the wharf next to me was using a sinker.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Mon May 23, 2016 3:26 pm

Whats the deal with needing a sinker? Is that a depth issue?
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

BFIST

Mon May 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Yeah its a depth and current thing. The tide just shoots out off that wharf and your lures just won't be in the zone without a sinker.

FatherOfMany

Sun May 29, 2016 7:31 am

Okay, the weather's looking pretty good for next weekend so let's see if we can get a squidding trip organized.

I'm going to go out for sure, where and when will depend on whether anyone's interested in joining me.

Night time options:
Currently low tide is in the middle of the night and the aim is to be fishing on slack tide, so I'd want to launch about 1 1/2 hours before low and fish until 1 1/2 hours after low. High tide is supposedly better, but we can't help for that now.

Friday night at Tamaki Drive
Low tide is at 11:15pm, so launch at 9:30pm and stay out until 00:30 or longer if there's some action and everyone agrees.

Saturday night at Tamaki Drive
Low tide is at 00:15am, so launch at 10:30pm and stay out until 01:30 or longer if there's some action and everyone agrees.

Early morning options

Friday morning at Murrays Bay
High tide is at 5:08am so launch at 4:00am, fish the shallows close to land until after sunrise and then move to slightly deeper waters till 10:00am. This one will only work if you can get off work on Friday, but my time is pretty flexible. If nobody takes up any of the other options, I'll probably do this by myself anyhow. So if you're not keen on the crazy-hour launch, you could join me at sunrise.

Sunday morning at Murrays Bay
High tide is at 7:03am so launch at 5:30am, fish the shallows close to land until after sunrise and then move to slightly deeper waters till 11:00am. Again, I'm happy to launch by myself here and I'll be close to the beach until at least 7:30, so you could join me later if you wish - if we've agreed to it.

Safety
Safety is your own responsibility, but let's be a little more careful at night. If we go out together, we stay together as a group and return as a group. If one person can't stay later than we originally agreed, then we all return. I talk as if there'll be a big group, but I'm expecting 2 or 3 people maybe.
I have a radio and a PLB and you should have your own radio! You should also have your own light. On-deck lighting is optional, but you need to be visible to boats.
We'd stay pretty close to land at all times when out at night.
Just about winter, so dress appropriate for night fishing!

If I haven't got a confirmation of anyone joining me by Thursday morning, then I'll plan my own trips for the weekend, which will probably be Friday morning to Murray's Bay and Sunday morning to Kawakawa bay.
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dedant

Sun May 29, 2016 8:08 am

I could be on for Friday night or Sun morning. I need to run it past my social planner / financial controller first. :)
Bloody house renos have taken over. :sweat:

Glass is Class.. dedant

B0ydie
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Sun May 29, 2016 8:46 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:Okay, the weather's looking pretty good for next weekend so let's see if we can get a squidding trip organized.

I'm going to go out for sure, where and when will depend on whether anyone's interested in joining me.

Night time options:
Currently low tide is in the middle of the night and the aim is to be fishing on slack tide, so I'd want to launch about 1 1/2 hours before low and fish until 1 1/2 hours after low. High tide is supposedly better, but we can't help for that now.

Friday night at Tamaki Drive
Low tide is at 11:15pm, so launch at 9:30pm and stay out until 00:30 or longer if there's some action and everyone agrees.

Saturday night at Tamaki Drive
Low tide is at 00:15am, so launch at 10:30pm and stay out until 01:30 or longer if there's some action and everyone agrees.

Early morning options

Friday morning at Murrays Bay
High tide is at 5:08am so launch at 4:00am, fish the shallows close to land until after sunrise and then move to slightly deeper waters till 10:00am. This one will only work if you can get off work on Friday, but my time is pretty flexible. If nobody takes up any of the other options, I'll probably do this by myself anyhow. So if you're not keen on the crazy-hour launch, you could join me at sunrise.

Sunday morning at Murrays Bay
High tide is at 7:03am so launch at 5:30am, fish the shallows close to land until after sunrise and then move to slightly deeper waters till 11:00am. Again, I'm happy to launch by myself here and I'll be close to the beach until at least 7:30, so you could join me later if you wish - if we've agreed to it.

Safety
Safety is your own responsibility, but let's be a little more careful at night. If we go out together, we stay together as a group and return as a group. If one person can't stay later than we originally agreed, then we all return. I talk as if there'll be a big group, but I'm expecting 2 or 3 people maybe.
I have a radio and a PLB and you should have your own radio! You should also have your own light. On-deck lighting is optional, but you need to be visible to boats.
We'd stay pretty close to land at all times when out at night.
Just about winter, so dress appropriate for night fishing!

If I haven't got a confirmation of anyone joining me by Thursday morning, then I'll plan my own trips for the weekend, which will probably be Friday morning to Murray's Bay and Sunday morning to Kawakawa bay.
Sorry mate heading up north this weekend

Profish 400

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Sun May 29, 2016 9:29 pm

I'll also be away if the weather is any good. Go well though mate :y:
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

eynon
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.7
VHF Call Sign: ZMU8769

Mon May 30, 2016 3:56 am

Flying out to gold coast on Saturday ;( , let us know how u get on.
ZMU8769 - OK Prowler 4.7

FatherOfMany

Mon May 30, 2016 9:13 am

Could anyone show me on a map where a good place is to launch with a kayak and where to fish off Tamaki drive?

It looks to me like we could just park there next to the Tamaki Yacht Club, launch from their ramp and fish that area to the right?
TamakiYachtClub.png
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon May 30, 2016 4:09 pm

FatherOfMany wrote:Could anyone show me on a map where a good place is to launch with a kayak and where to fish off Tamaki drive?

It looks to me like we could just park there next to the Tamaki Yacht Club, launch from their ramp and fish that area to the right?
The attachment TamakiYachtClub.png is no longer available
There is a ramp just there that you can probably launch from (I only say probably as there might not be much water at low tide). I have caught a few squid from shore in the area circled. The area you circled is probably just as good though...
Attachments
Kayak ramp.PNG
Kayak ramp.PNG (859.63 KiB) Viewed 1787 times
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

BFIST

Mon May 30, 2016 7:38 pm

I've only fished there around high tide but found that circled area better on the outgoing.

I usually do better on the other side of the yacht club on the incoming.

If you are taking your yak I'd try and find some weed beds out of casting range and anchor up and work those.

BFIST

Mon May 30, 2016 7:39 pm

You can see a few in that photo back towards the port.

BFIST

Mon May 30, 2016 7:39 pm

Or further out off the point at the yacht club.

FatherOfMany

Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:38 am

Well it seems like a few people are away this weekend and I've had no takers yet, so I'll do my own thing and see if I can finally catch some squid this weekend. AntN, still open to you changing your mind if any of your plans don't work out.

It was 5°C according to my car this morning, so I think after this weekend I'll leave the night fishing until spring. Squid should be bigger by then and we won't freeze our butts off in the middle of the night.

Did have some more toys arrive yesterday... The Black Magic Squid pack and a UV torch.
20160601_125200.jpg
20160601_125200.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 1638 times
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

dedant

Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:50 am

Sunday morning looks like the best time for me. ( not hunting this weekend ;( )
Unless , that is, I make it out and over to Rangi on Saturday evening ;)

Glass is Class.. dedant

FatherOfMany

Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:28 am

AntN wrote:Sunday morning looks like the best time for me. ( not hunting this weekend ;( )
Unless , that is, I make it out and over to Rangi on Saturday evening ;)
Ah dude, I only saw this now. Today would have been a great day out there. Anyway, I suspect I should not "lead" any squid fishing trips until I've learned to catch them more successfully. Followed Jason's advice and tried Castor Bay on Friday morning... Got one squid up next to the kayak, but it got free there in front of my eyes!!
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13

Kayak Fishing Auckland

• Information