Wattle Downs Pahurehure Inlet

Auckland region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
LittleFella
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Hi, a noob here, just recently started getting in to kayak fishing with my Prowler13 and loving it.
I live out Wattle Downs way and would like go kayaking/fishing around Pahurehure inlet and surroundings Manukau harbour.
I am bit worried about the current and big tidal movements there though.
Can any one here give some advice on kayaking and fishing in Pahurehure inlet and surroundings. Even better is there any one I can go out kayaking with in Manukau harbour to gain some confidence.

I have only been out to calmer waters of Maraetai (tamaki strait) on the east coast few (10-12) times.
Any advice or invites to get this noob seasoned will be much appreciated .. :)

cheers

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm

Hey Little fella.

I use to fish in the Pahurehure inlet when I first started. Fishing near Shark island is where I catch my pannie snapper, although the area is a shark and skate habitat! :worried: The current is strong and the fishing window seems short because the incoming tide will push you to Conifer grove, and the outgoing will pull you out to Clarks beach - fishing around the slack tide is ideal. You'll also have to contend with the foul around the Weymouth inlet that'll snag your line, and the oyster bed below that can cut your line.

So overall not a lot of positives in the Pahurehure inlet/Manukau harbour for kayak fishing, but the harbour is abuzz with kahawai and mullet during the winter months.

There are a few of us that live in or near Wattle downs. Have fun and welcome to the addictive world of kayak fishing. :y:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

keentofish
Kayak Model: Reload, 2+1

Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey LittleFella just got a kayak two days ago so I'm a noob at kayak fishing too. I live in wattles also and went out for a couple of hours this morning just to practice and casting soft baits but no bites. Had a quick chat to a commercial flounder fisherman gutting his catch at Kauri pt at slack tide. He said the same thing about winter fishing with the kahawai. Looking forward to that. :)

Keen to get out for advice or just a bit of fun trying to catch fish!

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:30 pm

I wouldn't mind doing another little mission out from Weymouth in the coming Autumn -Winter months. I've seen some surf casters land some gnarly Kahawai and Mullet just off the inlet during the incoming tide.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:52 pm

I started fishing there too, as I also live in the area. Never caught much of size, and only bait fished. Fish the end of the incoming and get back before the outgoing picks up too much.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

LittleFella

Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:59 am

Hi Guys, sorry for a late reply, didn't realize I have had some bits in this post :). happy to report I have been out 5 times now and have had mixed results. In late late Jan, caught 2 snappers in mid 30's and a 45cm Kahawai with heaps of little fellas. Have to say though even the east coast around Maraetai was very quite and small back then. Then its been very active with little fellas until last week, when I landed a 44cm Snap with 3 other mid-high 30's. So 2/5 productive days. Looks like big ones are feeding and very active now.
Also hooked a juvenile hammer head and bronzy but they manage to spit the hook out them selves.
If any one is keen to paddle out (may be you KeenToFish) together at the inlet please let me know.

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:46 am

I'd be happy to go out for a paddle and a fish with ya at some point. I used to tie up to the channel markers straight out. Flick me a PM
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

keentofish
Kayak Model: Reload, 2+1

Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:11 pm

Hey guys. Just stumbled upon this topic again. Yes keen to try fishing out in my front yard some time as I always see boats anchoring in the channel. Good to hear you've had some success. Let me know when you're out next and where do you launch from? I've launch from the beach at the back of Kaanapali place reserve.

timbo

Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Another reasonably new kayaker from the Downs.
Been out fishing towards Karaka with success - best haul of 7 snapper ave size 32cm. Most have had crab in there stomachs when filleted so the mudflats provide a lot of food for them.
Usually fish over the turn of high tide before the currents get too strong. Havent yet ventured past Kauri Point but might do when more confident.

LittleFella

Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi Timbo, good to hear more success stories in WD.
if you keen to head out on the inlet together some time, please flick me a PM.

• Information