Anyone get out for a fish today??

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
fishabenny
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8726

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:14 pm

:D

ltdgto
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF400

Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:29 pm

yep at my local....fish&chips :devil:

Bamalang
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:22 pm

I did last night, Countdown has Hoki for $9.99/kg! Made a good dinner.

Snooz
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:43 pm

Did a quick trip out this morning, picked up a bunch of snapper and kingfish, but they were too big to fit in the yak so I released them all. :lol: Heading to the cake tin now for the AB's!

Can't beat Wellies on a good day!
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:15 pm

just saw some pics of your guys spring storm today :lol:..should be a good game in the cake tin tonight hold on tight :y:...

CoolBoy

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Might have some better luck this weekend :y: am aiming to spend sunday afternoon on the water. Hope not too many showers. Looks like anywhere southcoast/harbour side should be quite pleasant.

I'm looking to target some different species to the usual blue cod/terahiki. Would appreciate any suggestions that anyone has. First three on the list are kings, JD and trevally. Will hunt them before hitting some gurnard holes as the sun starts to disappear. Should be plenty of big grunters around this time of year :clap:

If anyone is keen to join me sunday let me know

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:51 pm

Too early for kings on the south coast Coolboy. The boaties get into the JD's round fitzroy bay ways and snooz picked up one at Point Gordan. Noone really targets them alot so wherever you fish just chuck a small livie (spottie, blue cod, mackeral) down on a ledger and you might get lucky. Work on Sunday so eyeing up the midweek, getting withdrawals :headbang:
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

CoolBoy

Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:57 am

Thanks for the tips Hunt&Gather. I'm betting there will be a few people out on the water today. Will let ya know how we get on.

doubletrouble
Kayak Make: Perception
Kayak Model: Swing 470

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:03 am

Spoke to Pete Lamb yest, he has been running lots of harbour trips over the last three weeks. He says the harbour is fairly quiet at the moment, so best to get out on the south coast. It will be dead flat this arvo, and thats where I'm heading. If you can put up with a bit of swell, west coast looks good too.
I'm likely to head to west ledge for gurnard/blue cod

Cassels
Kayak Model: Swing

Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 am

Has anyone launched out for a fish round Wainui Beach? I've been focusing on the surfcasting all winter, but I hear that the Snapper are migrating back down and thought I'd dust of my yak and gear in the next few weeks. I've been surfcasting very successfully at Wainui and figured a paddle out there could be rewarding.
Did a club and regular outings ever get off the ground?

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm

Dan F has done a couple of trips out that way... and it something ive been wanting to do for a while...

Club wise i tryed a few years ago to get a club going but the numbers werent there at the time... maybe now with the increased numbers ... i believe that a couple of others were looking at it
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Snooz
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Cassels wrote: I hear that the Snapper are migrating back down and thought I'd dust of my yak and gear in the next few weeks.
Snapper.....did someone say snapper!! Woohooo, hopefully!! :y:

kiwifred wrote:Dan F has done a couple of trips out that way... and it something ive been wanting to do for a while...

Club wise i tryed a few years ago to get a club going but the numbers werent there at the time... maybe now with the increased numbers ... i believe that a couple of others were looking at it
There's talk on the other forum about trying to establish a Wellington 'club'. I think Hunt&Gather was the instigator of the discussion. I'd be keen :D Judging by the numbers at the Stephen Tapp evening, it looks like there's plenty of us around. Perhaps now there's some new blood around (including myself) might be time to try a club thing again??
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

Hunt&gather

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:00 pm

Yes yes there is talk of a club. The select committee (Ltdgto, myself, & Bamalang) are having an 'on-the-water' meeting tomorrow once the southerly has exhausted itself. So watch this space :y:

Will be interesting to see how much the water temp dropped after these southerly blasts but snaps were getting caught not too far up the coast so shouldn't be too much of a wait :rock:
Viking Profish 400 Lite

CoolBoy

Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Good to hear you're still around Cassels. There was plenty of decent winter kayak fishing this year. Still, bring on the snapper!

I've been meaning to sign up to the 'other forum' also. I'll support a local club. There definitely are a few kayak fishers around here. Let me know if I can help out with anything, good luck with your 'meeting' :y:

doubletrouble

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I am also keen to meet up with local fishos. I'm not so keen on a formal club but would be supportive of regular informal meetings to discuss spots, techniques, gear, etc. (and have a drink too...) and to share tales.
I have been fishing Wgtn for 4 yrs and there are lots more yaks about now, so may be a good time to establish something as we head towards summer.
I am happy to host a 'meeting' at my house in Newtown if anyone is interested. Post a reply or PM
Peter

Hunt&gather

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I think the club idea we are aiming for would not be a traditional club. Just utilising the net to arrange get togethers, bragging comps, etc rather than a clubrooms style venture.
We'll toss some ideas around tomorrow and I'll start a new thread in the near future to gather some ideas and a meet up at your place sounds good DT to nut out a few things.
This will be my 3rd season in a kayak but I have fished and dived here for almost 30 years so know the local haunts pretty well. But thats the beauty of fishing as you will never know it all :beer:

Hopefully this southerly is short and sharp :@
Viking Profish 400 Lite

doubletrouble

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:45 pm

A new thread sounds good, but put posts on the last few threads too so that increases coverage.
You'll be fine for your 'on-the-water' meeting tomorrow although the sth swell (2m) might get ya. Makara or Pukerua look the spots. Post how you get on.
I was out yest at west ledge, fishing in the rain. Nice, and not cold. Was in a friends sit-in, so nice and cosy. Scored a dozen teris and blues.

Hunt&gather

Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:51 pm

Nice bag DT :y: . Nah we'll be out west and the swell should be minimal, more the biting southerly in your face funneling down the valleys but hopefully its backed off to 10 knots by mid morning. I was working yesterday so couldn't get out.

Will post a report for sure if I can remember how to paddle and fish. It's been a couple of weeks :headbang:
Viking Profish 400 Lite

Hunt&gather

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:25 pm

Was nice out west today. Southerly dropped off late morning and was pretty warm - had to strip off a bit of clothing. Did a bit of drifting out deep but big schools of couta were harrassing us. I ended up anchoring in a bit shallower up current from a nice reef and running some berley back into it. Ended up with a nice mixed bag amongst the plagues of ky & sharks. Brought home some turkeys, blue cod, and what looked like a couple of snapper :tmi: they may have been red cod as I forget what snapper look like :geek:

I had a play with my new video camera so will pice some footage together at some point :beer:
Viking Profish 400 Lite

ltdgto
Kayak Model: PF400

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:31 pm

Nah they're not snapper :devil:

yeah was an awesome day weather wise but losing and anchor and a couple of good fish have left me broke and annoyed :swear: now that the cobwebs have gone cant wait to get back out there.

• Information