Anybody

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Ukkiwi

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

out for a paddle in Wellington tomorrow?

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:46 pm

conditions must be much better than up here in north.........

doubletrouble
Kayak Make: Perception
Kayak Model: Swing 470

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 am

Yes, great weather yesterday. Sorry, I didnt check the forum on Friday before heading out. Did you get out and how did it go?
Went 1k south of Teraikahau Pt, just where the reef runs out and turns to sand. Fishing in 28m. Got 14 good size teris and 6 blue cod, the biggest 45cm. Non stop hookups, and several small spotty sharks and spiny dogs following the smaller blue cod to the surface. Light northerly, no swell - fantastic!
Peter

Ukkiwi

Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 pm

You had a better day than me. I managed to sneak out this morning off Raumati beach. Lots of dog fish and lots of swell. I only managed to stick it out for about an hour before the swell made the decision for me to come back in. Was quite a paddle getting back and landing in the surf got the blood pumping but managed to stay on top and fairly dry. I was planning on heading down to Wellington Saturday, after reading about your day I wish I had.
Give me a shout next time your heading out and I'll join you.

Snooz
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:05 pm

doubletrouble wrote:Got 14 good size teris and 6 blue cod, the biggest 45cm. Non stop hookups, and several small spotty sharks and spiny dogs following the smaller blue cod to the surface. Light northerly, no swell - fantastic!
Peter
Wow nice haul Peter. No more warehou yet? I think our next outing might be somewhere around there. Do you launch from the wee boat ramp on the western side of Lyall opposite Hungerford Road?
Ukkiwi wrote:You had a better day than me. I managed to sneak out this morning off Raumati beach. Lots of dog fish and lots of swell. I only managed to stick it out for about an hour before the swell made the decision for me to come back in. Was quite a paddle getting back and landing in the surf got the blood pumping but managed to stay on top and fairly dry. I was planning on heading down to Wellington Saturday, after reading about your day I wish I had.
Give me a shout next time your heading out and I'll join you.
I did a drive by on Otaki Beach on Sunday and the surf was pretty large, although the sea was dead flat out past the surf line. Saw a yaker packing up his kit there. Anyone on the forum?
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

doubletrouble

Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Hi Snooz
You can launch from the Lyall Bay ramp but its a much longer paddle. That ramp is a good launch in a slow swell if you want to fish the secondary reef which heads SE from there.
But if its really flat, drive to the point. There is a short carry to a put-in place which makes it a short 200m paddle east to the secondary reef. See green arrow, pic 1.
If you want to fish Teraikahau Pt itself, put-in at the beach which faces south. Again, a very short carry. It's a lovely place to go in. See green arrow Pic 2.
It's fish heaven next to that marine reserve...you do have to paddle through it slightly then head slightly east to get out of it. There are two large yellow triangles on shore which you line up vertically to indicate the boundary.
Have fun
Peter
Attachments
Arthurs Nose Reef.JPG
Launch spot for Arthur's Nose reef
Arthurs Nose Reef.JPG (72.32 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
Teraikahau Launch.JPG
Teraikahau Pt launch
Teraikahau Launch.JPG (75.63 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

xtreamz
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

Sorry didn't check this forum either. Nice haul Peter. We were nearby on Sat, 3 of us. Heaps of blue cods but all too small unfortunately.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PB Snapper: 17.6lb/76cm (14/05/2017) | PB Blue Cod 49cm (17/06/2017)| PB Kingfish 82cm (30/12/2017)| PB Tarakihi 53cm (04/09/2017)| PB Moki 54cm (17/06/2017)

Trident 4.3
Prowler 4.5 (2011-2015)

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:28 am

anyone got plans for the weekend?? specificaly sunday?
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

CoolBoy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm intending on heading out tomorrow (Saturday) morning, though may be tempted for Sunday morning also. I have yet to decide where I'll head. South coast should be flat enough(?). If I get a new fish finder installed I'll be likely to try some new spots but if not I'll stick to terrain that I know for now. Anyone keen to meet up?
Anthony

doubletrouble

Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:22 pm

Yeah, looking good for both days. Rising tide in the mornings, mod N and swell 1m or less. Looking out at the south coast now - perfect!
Not sure at this stage when I can go, but will be out some time.
Peter

Snooz

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Aww jealous! I've got nothing on at the weekend, and I'm dying to get out but my muscles/kayak carrier (aka my husband) is busy. Damn pathetic female ;(

I need to find a trolley and some sort of system to get the boat onto the roof rack then there'll be no stopping me!

Good luck everyone!
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Snooz wrote:Aww jealous! I've got nothing on at the weekend, and I'm dying to get out but my muscles/kayak carrier (aka my husband) is busy. Damn pathetic female ;(

I need to find a trolley and some sort of system to get the boat onto the roof rack then there'll be no stopping me!

Good luck everyone!
...you could always trade up :lol:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Snooz

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Hainesy wrote:...you could always trade up :lol:
Kayak or husband? Husband is perfect though - strong, good paddler and can catch a decent fish :inlove:
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking 2+1

CoolBoy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:37 pm

Bit of a change of plan here. I've been roped in to helping a friend move in the AM so may be out Saturday afternoon depending on how long it all takes. Sunday morning is definitely looking like a good option. I won't have a fish finder so will most likely drift/softbait around Lyall Bay (fingers crossed for some gurnard) till i find a bit of structure then perhaps anchor up. Should be calm enough to drift around quite happily.

Hunt&gather
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Headed out west today in Sublime conditions :angel: Fishing was a little tough, may have been the earthquake last night, but was a nice day. Heaps of horse KY about, and some blue cod. One was a thumper at 49 cm, took a pic next to one of the kahawai too so you get an idea of size - it fed 4 adults by itself :rock: Can't wait to get the chartplotter next week as we were finding some good sign but was too hard in the current to hold on the fish with just a fishfinder. My mate dropped a xos terikihi at the yak too - looked 50cm+. He almost cried ;(

Looking back at makara

Approaching Boom Rock - horrible conditions :D

And the big blue next to a large KY

So nice day. Hope you guys get amongst it tomorrow :y: kids birthday parties and work for me for the weekend.
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
The mothership - Surtees 5.5 Hardtop 115 Zuki 4 stroke

• Information