Makara/Harbour Shennanigans

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
CoolBoy

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:00 am

So my ride fell through so am going car shopping this morning. If anyone has room on the racks today let me know, looks like a beaut of a day for it!

Did anyone manage to get out last night? Looked magic...

doubletrouble
Kayak Make: Perception
Kayak Model: Swing 470

Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:08 am

Bad luck about your ride. I'm heading to Falcon sometime between 1 and 2 to fish the rising tide. Sorry do'nt have extra space on my roof. Good luck with your car hunting...
Tim and partner are at Puk Bay this morning so will get a report soon. There are kingies about i hear.

CoolBoy

Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:40 pm

Car hunting went well - I'll pick up my car on Wednesday, so THANK YOU to everyone that's given me a ride over the past couple of months!!! I very much appreciate the rides and the company. This should mean that I'll be out on the water much more..

Looks like we've had some beautiful conditions the past couple of days.. I'm sure there's some fishing stories so lets hear em? :)

doubletrouble

Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Great day for a fish today. Overcast and calm.
I was out Saturday arvo at Falcon, fishing in 15m. Slow going but eventually got a couple of bluecod, a nice kahawai and a 6kg elephant. He did a great job of linking all three lines plus berley line together. Too big to put in the hold so sat across my feet. Water temp almost 18, which is encouraging for the summer season.
Saw a couple of yaks further north near Pt Gordon. Was it anyone who contributes to this forum? Report please!
Attachments
6kg Elephant2 Falcon Shoal 10 Nov 11.JPG

fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:34 pm

Nice work Peter, the elephant really does look amazing. Strong contender for the compo, I may suggest (you'll have my vote)!
I was out with some mates at Makara on Friday, mainly spearfishing from the yak, but caught one Kahawai trolling too. Unfortunately I soaked my electric car key and had to leave my car at the lot to pick it up Saturday.
Still, was awesome out there shot two Terakihi and pulled two shrimp so was sorted for the weekend. Here's one of my tasty trophies :rock: :

K
Attachments
shrimp2.jpg
shrimp2.jpg (245.25 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

Cassels
Kayak Model: Swing

Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Some great fishing.
I'm keen to go for a fish after work tomorrow at Breaker Bay if anyone is up for it.
Andrew

CoolBoy

Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

That is one nice looking ele! I've tried to target them for years but never landed a single one.... I'd be keen to hear any suggestions you may have.

Nice Cray there too ;)

Yakhard
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: TBA

Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 am

Wow that elephant looks awesome mate!, def should enter in the comp. Looks almost prehistoric and a great photo too.

Cassels

Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:14 am

I went out last night at Breaker Bay.
We got out on the water and anchored half way between the beach and Barrets Reef with a berley 3m off the bottom.
My soft bait got nailed by a big Kahawai on my first drop and I got a good size gurnard on my flasher rig 4/0 20 minutes later.

At about 6 we spoted a work up by the reef and chased it around. There was workups in the channel between 6 and 8 and we ended up catching 6 good Kahawai (only kept 3). I was hoping some Kingis were down there.

Conditions were absolutely perfect, and I'll be snacking on smoked fish for the rest of the week.

I haven't checked the weather, but I'm hoping to go Snapper fishing on the Kapiti Coast this weekend.

doubletrouble

Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:16 am

Assuming this southerly drops a bit and the Hutt River hasnt spilled dirty water, we'll be out in the harbour this arvo. Falcon/Gordon if not windy, otherwise Shelly Bay. I may take a drive to the top of roseneath this morning and see what the water clarity is like. Will post what i find later. Metvuw has light/variable winds for the next seven days, and I am on holiday!
Peter

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:10 am

was out at the beach this morning.. (petone) water filthy and rough and windy... but on the + side i saw the biggest workup i have ever seen in the harbour.... must have been 300m across. moving quite fast towards the motorway
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

doubletrouble

Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Still very windy but am heading out to Shelly Bay anyway. Be there 4ish and hope wind has dropped more by then. Clarity ok south of Pt Halswell, dirty in the middle of the harbour. That workup sounds intriguing...

Cassels

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:52 am

My mate and I are going to target Snapper at Pukerua Bay on Thursday after work. We should be getting wet at about 5:45 if anyone wants to come out.
Andrew

CoolBoy

Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:31 pm

Hey guys, anyone seen the sea in the last day or two? I'm thinking about doing a bit of a sightseeing snorkel around the marine reserve but I'm wondering if there is going to be any visibility?

I've now got my roof racks sorted and will be keen for some pukerua and makara missions in the new year. Have packed kayak up to take away for some summer fishing in the coromandel so REALLY hanging out for some snapper/kingi action!

All the best for Christmas and New Years! hope there's plenty of fishing. Catch you all in the new year.
Anthony

Cassels

Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Heading to Pukerua Bay tomorrow (Wednesday) after work now instead of Thursday.
I'll report back how we get on.

doubletrouble

Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:34 pm

May join you depending on other factors. Tides look perfect for the west coast.

Report on my Sunday arvo trip to Shelly:
Bit cold, bit windy. Two teris and two med kahawai.
Tried three spots, caught all the keepers at the first. 17m at the bottom of the dropoff seems to be the best along that stretch of water.
P

Danfili
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:52 pm

CoolBoy wrote:Hey guys, anyone seen the sea in the last day or two? I'm thinking about doing a bit of a sightseeing snorkel around the marine reserve but I'm wondering if there is going to be any visibility?
Give the south coast a couple of days bro
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rosewood
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:03 pm

Just wondering if any of you guys are around welly over xmas/new years period and plan on fishing??
Im heading down from Aucks to see the family and comtemplating bringing the yak so woudn't mind tagging along on a few missions if possible..

Do you guys anchor up most of the time and bait and burley it up? I only have a drift chute and softbait gear...

rosewood..

Yakhard
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: TBA

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Hey mate. I will be around, i only have drift chute and softbait gear too. Good rewards to be had down here, just think of blue cod as our local snapper.

rosewood
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:29 pm

Good to hear Todd..might just have to bite the bullet and flag my plane ticket. forecast looks quite good down there for the next week. Where abouts have you been fishing and what type softies are doing the damage? (might have to stock up before I leave)

Ill be based in Miramar for a week and half from Friday..

• Information