Karori rip…

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
fatbob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PF 400

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:13 am

Hi there,

I was just wondering if and who tried a multiple day trip from Makara to Lyall bay? I've read some comments about the Karori rip just between Cape Terawhiti and Wellington head, though I was interested how this rip would affect the coast between Cape Terawhiti and Sinclair head just along the coast? Are there any reports out there and things to look out for (like prevailing wind directions and unforeseen sea-monsters) ? We're not planning to go far out into the straight just an easy cruise along the coast and the occasional break for fishing and/or a dive.
BTW: Mates welcome!

Chur, K

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:51 am

Don't do it ! You 'd be mad unless you timed the tides perfectly and perfect weather conditions !
That place is SCARY off Oteranga bay where the Cook st. power cable comes ashore ,just inside Terawhiti Rip ,We called it Hawaii Five o when we worked commercial diving on repairing the cable years ago. Nearly got caught by an eddy current from the rip that forms haystack waves off the point that cook st ferries would shy away from! and I was diving for crays right back on the reef inside the bay.
No shit mate I dived the bay entrance surveying the cable in 120' on brief slack water period and the currents then were still going in opposite directions between the surface & the bottom so that my umbilical was going both ways and on the bottom where I was looking for extra rocks to cling too saw that boulders the size of cars had been pushed along the sandy bottom leaving skid mark tracks-Fact.
Ohh and where have you been ,not local ? because they regularly have search and rescue missions along that stretch of coast looking for divers and surfies etc that get swept away and or lost.

fatbob

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 am

Paddlesnap, thanks for that… Glad I was asking and you could tell me what's really happening down there. Guess this trip has sorted itself out then – definitely won't do it. I do life in Wellington, but pretty new to kayaking… I never knew it was this spot where they had their rescue missions. Is it save just past Sinclair head thou? There seem to be loads of spearos going out past Devil's gate…

While we're at it, how long does it take from Makara to Boom rock?

Thanks again, K

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:11 am

No worries mate :whew:
Would like to seakayak down there sometime though and revisit.
BTW if you can get land access to Oteranga Bay ,it is one really amazing spot so long as conditions favourable .
The guy living out there at the cable terminus used to have a deal to let some Niuean spearos fish there for butters and they would get untold.He had a bulldozer to launch his own boat even though it was a closed fishing area as he had a fish shop in Wgtn. with Asians living there working it for him. turns out his partner worked in Govt. or some such! Not much has changed I guess.

yeahnah
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:33 pm

There is no driving access to the big O . You can get a quad or M/C around the coast but there is a section that eats 4wds and if the tide comes in your wagon is gone.

Nor can you get through terewhiti station any more .

Used to go in there lots fishing for three or four days at a time but since the wind farm went in there is no access. :swear:

fatbob

Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:55 pm

Aaawh bummer. How far south can you get then without running into trouble? I mean in a yak…

K

Dreadfish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler elite 4.5

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:52 pm

we did a trip south from Makara almost to the straight . BUT the weather was pretty much perfect and when we got down there the currents were pretty bad. takes about an hour to paddle to Boom rock and its pretty easy going. been there a few times now
Stealth Evolution 495
OK Prowler Elite 4.5
OK Scupper Pro

Methesda

Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:15 pm

Bob,

See if you can get hold of an online application for marine maps. Most of the modern ones contain either a coast guard, state, or community run layer with useful information. Well worth the money (not as expensive as it used to be).

For example, the Navionics iPad app, which I use (Oceania version) contains a detailed label over the point you're describing - essentially the information states that unless you can paddle at about the same speed as a small boat on cruise for prolonged periods, you're f****d:

Here's a screenshot with some self-zoom help.
Navionics App EG.png
Navionics App EG.png (632.95 KiB) Viewed 2246 times

• Information