Kapiti Get Together

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Methesda

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:49 am

Aye, Paul, i think it was you taking pictures of my 'Ride of the Valkyries; back in after you'd turtled. :lol:

Although I'm sure the picture will make the 2 metre surf look a lot smaller. Wide-angle lens and that, ay? ;)

Here are a couple I got:
Attachments
Getting feet wet (small).jpg
Clearly a huge swell!
Getting feet wet (small).jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 806 times

Methesda

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 am

And this... I think this was Stu?
Attachments
Fishing or possibly just dozing in the sun.jpg
Fishing or possibly just dozing in the sun.jpg (73.41 KiB) Viewed 806 times

Methesda

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 am

Also, wanna give a big thanks to everyone for looking out for me! and to Dan, for being a proper gent and lending a total stranger his dearly beloved yak.

Problem is now, I'm not going to finish saving my pennies for my own ride before the winter draws in, and now I have to live with having been bitten by the yak tic!

Hopefully, I'll make a few socials over winter, an get to know you folks a little better.

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:56 am

Methesda wrote:Also, wanna give a big thanks to everyone for looking out for me! and to Dan, for being a proper gent and lending a total stranger his dearly beloved yak.

Problem is now, I'm not going to finish saving my pennies for my own ride before the winter draws in, and now I have to live with having been bitten by the yak tic!

Hopefully, I'll make a few socials over winter, an get to know you folks a little better.
Good to hear that you have the bug......keep an eye out on this Forum as often some of the guys will post up 'yaks they want to sell and give members first option before they go on Trade Me !....I know that Technical has a nice P13 he want to move on...
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:48 am

Methesda wrote:And this... I think this was Stu?
Nope - that festering pile of satorial elegance is me....

Note that I had decided right from the start that the flag was not required that day as it was highly likely to get snapped off coming back in. That surprised me as I'd usually back myself in the scrambler xt to be OK in that kind of wave... We have been out in worse with no ill effect....

The usual ego stuff aside - I was hard pressed to figure out why I'd not made it back to the beach upright. I'd timed it perfect (as opposed to going out) and missed the really really big ones only to get canned by a silly little wave AT the beach. In fact I really never saw it coming, I thought I was home n hosed. I think it was a combination of factors - I was knackered (should have stopped for a breather and let a big set roll in instead of grabbing the opportunity), I'd been out too long (my insulin was running low and blood sugars were climbing leading to being knackered and feeling crampy) and most of all, I stuffed up and celebrated too early (I'd straightened out to run up to the beach instead of angling)

Methesda really showed us how its done, set a perfect angle, blanced nicely on top of the wave and steered with both sides never letting the kayak take control, Dan, the Fin n Dive was in the hands of a pro... In fact I was MIGHTLY impressed with its performance in the surf, I've never managed that much poise in the scrambler... WELL DONE.

Considering the number of can outs compared to non can outs one thing is obvious, as a group we could do with some practise in the surf. I'll see what can be done but its maybe something better to do before next season? (not that there is a season as such but you know what I mean?)

Any starters for a surf school session? I'm thinking BBQ on the beach and a few laughs?

Paul in NZ

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:50 am

Oh - an vanity aside I'd love a full size copy of that piccy ;-)

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:53 am

Always up for a surf school session Paul.
Sorry I didnt make it but had family staying AGAIN.....
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Methesda

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:56 am

Paul in NZ wrote:
Will do mate. PM me an email address, and I'll flick you the others too. I got a couple of you, but that was the best by far. Great little pic, apart from the bit where you aren't holding a fishing rod. :rofl:

Paul in NZ

Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:48 am

Methesda wrote:
Paul in NZ wrote:
Will do mate. PM me an email address, and I'll flick you the others too. I got a couple of you, but that was the best by far. Great little pic, apart from the bit where you aren't holding a fishing rod. :rofl:
Too busy dealing with a fish probably..... :rofl: the rods there, its just very low....

Paul in NZ

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Some pictures of the scene of the crime....

The waves look very little but trust me - some of em were of biblical proportions.... cough...

yes - that little wave unseated me (I was going the wrong way for the break)

Theres always ONE clever clogs... :envy:

sigh......

Arpy
Kayak Model: Prowler

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:14 pm

Great photos guys. Glad no one snapped my "turtle" on the way out! Really enjoyed the day out and great to have 7 yaks on the water together. The fishing started slowly but ended well with around 20 Snapper and a good number of nice sized Gurnard taken during the day. It was good to see everyone taking home a feed for the family. Great effort Martin on staying aboard Dan's F&D in that mean surf (not sure Dan would have :D ) I see we have a great group of yak fishos here on the Kapiti/Horo coast and hopefully we will enjoy many more outings like Saturday. Thanks Stu, Paul, Kev, Jason, Phil and Martin and our shoreline support team Vicki and Jamie :clap:
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Paul in NZ

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:24 pm

Arpy wrote:Great photos guys. Glad no one snapped my "turtle" on the way out! :
Who says there are no photos? :devil: Vicki might 'just' have one, we sure have a few of 'others' coming in :rofl:

man - going out there was more water coming into the frankenscrambler than the scuppers could deal with and we were dead in the water... glad i didn get another one right then... gleep...

Yup - a darn good day out....

psst - how did you go coming back in ?? :^)

Danfili
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:38 pm

Arpy wrote:Great effort Martin on staying aboard Dan's F&D in that mean surf (not sure Dan would have :D )
:lol: :lol: bro it gets very hot on the Kapiti Coast and i love swimming , it's all control when i dive off the yak for a quick dip after a days fishing to cool off ;)
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Arpy

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:25 am

Yeah Stu and I came in around 2. Stu went forwards and landed very quickly and without incident 8)
I came in backwards and apart from one mf wave parting me from my yak in a skywards direction (luckily I landed back in my seat) after a while (seemed like hours) I was alongside a waiting Stu celebrating a successful return to dry land :clap:
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Paul in NZ

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:42 am

Arpy wrote:Yeah Stu and I came in around 2. Stu went forwards and landed very quickly and without incident 8)
I came in backwards and apart from one mf wave parting me from my yak in a skywards direction (luckily I landed back in my seat) after a while (seemed like hours) I was alongside a waiting Stu celebrating a successful return to dry land :clap:
Seems between us we came in forwards, backwards, sideways and upside down. Kayak acrobatics really, dunno why those soft northern types dont try it (cough)

Arpy

Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:58 am

Haven't taken the yak out since May so hoping to get out for a paddle this weekend. Some fresh fish would go down a treat!

Have been talking with some of the local yak fishos and we think a get together next month would be a good idea.

Rather than going out for a fish, a social meet up somewhere (over lunch) with a large area would be preferred. We thought that bringing the yaks to display would give the many "newbies" the opportunity to ask questions and get ideas for their own setups, so they can get ready for the upcoming "season"

The Otaki surfclub has been suggested and is being investigated as to availability.

I'll post again with a date once a venue is confirmed. Please tell others who might be interested.

Ray.
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Paul in NZ

Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:53 am

Good idea Ray but we could easily get out for a fish in sheltered waters - bit chilly on the wrong day but not too bad...

Pukerau Bay?

Arpy

Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:33 am

Yeah, would really like to have a land session first to help the newbies get set up for summer.
Then lets look at a fishing trip like we did last year. Pukerua Bay might be best depending on weather. There seems to be a lot of people wanting to get into the sport but haven't met up with someone to learn off. I guess not everyone uses the internet.

Bring on Summer!
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

DJ-400
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4232

Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi Welly guys, I would be very keen for the meet up.
Viking Profish 400, chill pod, tackle pod, lowrance elite 7hdi/elite 5hdi, Railblaza *ZMW4232*

Cammie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Guys, the possibility of using the Otaki Beach Surf Club is coming along "swimmingly" - the club captain is keen and he even owns a yak and is therefore keen to learn about kayak fishing. Arpy and I are in touch by PM to work on a date, theme etc, with a Saturday in early October as the possible date - we would welcome your thoughts and any ideas.

In addition to just displaying the yaks, roof racks, etc etc and equipment and discussing ideas, and as a teaser / a "burley trail" perhaps, perhaps a Coast Guard person to talk radios; surf club could also show off their toys; maybe someone from the local Otaki Hunting and Fishing store even ... plus the chance to show off your gear, your own setups, what works, what doesn't, and just a really good get together at the start of the season.

Probably just a couple of hours, and see how it goes.

Who knows, the fish might even be coming back in by then, maybe ... :lol: :lol:

Lets have your ideas!!
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

• Information