Kapiti Get Together

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:28 am

Well long story short I had a heap of family staying this weekend and we decided to go to the beach yesterday.
I put out the seahorse and only got 1 kahawai that weighed in at 1.9kg. Lots of baits came back untouched, I also heard that from 4 boats launched off otaki yesterday no fish were caught.
Must be something to do with the tsunami.
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 am

GBC wrote:Must be something to do with the tsunami.
More like a combination of that, the waters colder (noticably) and it was a crap tide and even the paper reckoned fishing would be 'poor' this weekend...

Hard to tell from me though - I only get the depressed ones wanting to end it all....

Arpy
Kayak Model: Prowler

Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:46 pm

Yeah it was a slow day. We ended up paddling up to Pekapeka and ended up with 6 Gurnard between us but another yak brother- 1fish2fish (Tim) got 9 Snapper off Te Horo beach yesterday and the tractor man at Waikanae said a lot were being caught near Kapiti Island. Was good to get out on what was about as perfect a day we get on this coast (warm not hot, no wind and calm sea all day :clap: )
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Danfili
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6439

Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:40 am

Hey Boys :beer:

Myself and a couple of others will be fishing in your area tomorrow , nice lazy 8am meet up at Otaki Surf club.
hopefully get a feed of Carrots , Snaps and maybe some Tuna

so get your to do list done today should be a good one :o:
Kayak Fishing You Hooked Yet

Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
VHF ZMT6439
https://www.facebook.com/LLKFT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cammie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi guys

from one who couldn't get on to the water today :envy: :envy: how did the excursions at Peka Peka, Otaki go?

You are going to make me miserable, I know it! :(
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Danfili

Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 pm

Cammie wrote:Hi guys

from one who couldn't get on to the water today :envy: :envy: how did the excursions at Peka Peka, Otaki go?

You are going to make me miserable, I know it! :(
Hey Bro ,

Was a real "adventure" :rock: today , was so good to leave the speargun and gear at home and fish from the yak this time
( can only eat so much Moki , Butterfish and Crayfish).

Five of us rocked up to Otaki just after 8 am to be greeted buy a consistant swell & very light winds if any.
Everyone was keen to paddle out so the "go ahead" was made and everyone unloaded the yaks and got changed at the slowest pace i have ever seen :rofl: :rofl: (me include) sort of reminded me when i ask my daughter to clean her room , dragging her feet looking for other things to do to slow down the inevitable , didnt even get to play stone sissors rock to see who was going to be the test dummy as that dummy turned out to be me :?: .

I picked the rip to paddle out to get past the first lot of waves and just got over a steep set than rolled in laughed as i got over it to be greeted by it's bigger brother :n: that was about to break i got hit in the chest and did a backward roll over my seat into the rear well and into the drink :?: .
took me a few seconds to figure out what just happened saw more waves coming my way so i quickly jumped back on the yak and started paddling ( so glad i took the time out to practice getting back on the yak in surf ).

Stu and Mike made it through , but John and Dom the Pom were not so lucky.Apparently Dom paddled over a wave a little to late / slow only to get dumped and draged a little (caught in a leash) . Poor bugger swallowed a couple of mouthfulls of Otaki's finest salt water and break a rod not too sure how John ended up in the drink but he lost some gear.

The Three of us ended up paddling out to 12 meters was still a little lumpy but not as bad as closer in , fishing was hot mate Stu cleaned up on the Snaps , Mike caught his first fish ever and man was he stoked we were so happy for him then he caught a super fat carrot.

I ended up keeping 8 snaps and 1 ky , I found Ky on the Stray to be the way to go . Dom was a real sport every hour or so he would jump on the VHF to see if we were okay and give us an update on the condtions back on the beach.

When we were about to pull the pin Stu turned around to put his bag of fish in the rear well and turtled :rock: :rofl: :rofl: made me feel better about my incident earlier that morning (well it did as soon as he got back on his yak )

Me and Stu loaded up my Yak and put rods , fish , fish finders and tackle into the hatch as we were well aware that the odds were high for another Turtle :lol: (to think i was thinking about selling the FND after the TKFC), Finally got to the first lot of waves and man did they peak and then i saw a guy surfing , i turned around and paddled back to stu and said bro it's big and got a reply gee thanks Dan :lol:

Mike gunned full steam ahead and went for a swim in the shallows :rock: , me and Stu had the hell fun Surf back to the beach to be greated by more Kapiti Yakers Arpy and Jas standing in the water to help if needed , bloody legends even asked the surf club to keep and eye on us coming in on the breaking waves out deep.

was a primo day , great fish , great times , great company and EVERYONE did the turtle
The Fish
Attachments
IMG_6135.JPG
IMG_6137.JPG
Last edited by Danfili on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VHF ZMT6439

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 am

Sounds like a real adventure and some nice fish and a cold one to top off the day !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

GBC

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:44 am

Well done Dan and the boys.
I was at the top of Trig yesterday and could see the waves coming in at Hokio from there. That needed big kahunas in my book.
Well done

Cammie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4893

Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:44 pm

Dan, you guys really are legends!

The tale you tell makes me envious, relieved, jealous, thankful, excited, scared, jealous, over awed, and best of all - eager! :o :D

What a great trip yesterday and some lovely fish well caught, and I guess that the local Hunting and Fishing shops will be able to replace the items you need ...

I was in Otaki this morning at our almost completed home only 550 metres from the beach and the neighbour who is captain of the Otaki Boating Club was getting ready to head out - the sea was calm!, and according to the boaties the fishing has been good for some time. Great that the Yakkers got their share.

Thanks for sharing the stories

Cam
Cam Ronald
Prowler Elite 4.5
ZMW4893

Danfili

Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm

Cheers Cam

80 % of the reason why i enjoy Yak fishing so much is the Primo crew of blokes down here in Welly / Kapiti :y: :y: They are always keen to fish ,to go for a beer and have a laugh, share spots or info on the areas that are on fire .
Always keen to give tips and advice on your fishing or set up , not affraid to give you sh*t and even offer you fish if you had a quiet day.

I was actually thinking about yesterdays session and i couldn't figure out if i was so stoked because i pushed my own personal limits and then caught fish or because of what others did back on the beach while we fished or when we paddled back in , or watching someone get so excited to catch their very first fish on the yak :clap: .

what ever it was i still got the bug and i want to get back out 8)

VHF ZMT6439

GBC

Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:35 pm

See you in the Naki then Dan :y: :y: :beer:

Arpy

Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:49 am

Spent yesterday morning out off Otaki with bro in-law. No evil surf to battle through like Dan, Stu and Mike had last Sunday. What a classic day we had. Dolphins all around us including 3 heading straight for our yaks before they dived under us and the water was so calm, you could see them under the water. Awesome experience!! The fishing was spectacular too! 17 Snapper and 6 Gurnard (some released) plus lots of Kawahai to keep you wet! Great to see Jason with a yak full of fish after a pretty lean last few trips. :clap:
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Arpy

Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:48 pm

Otaki beach (accessway just north of surf clubrooms) 8.30am Saturday for those wanting to join us.
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Paul in NZ

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:55 am

Arpy wrote:Otaki beach (accessway just north of surf clubrooms) 8.30am Saturday for those wanting to join us.
I will definately be there - Vicki is having a tough week back at work and is looking forwards to a lazy sleep in but we shall see ;-) She is definately expecting a fish supper (no pressure)

Cheers

Methesda

Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:57 am

After the warm welcome and invite in the new members thread, I'm in, as long as I can sort out Danfili's generous offer of the use of his yak. It'll take a bit of organisation, but at the very least, I might pop along to meet any of you that are going.

Can I ask what you guys are wearing at the moment? I've got a two piece Spearo wetsuit, whose pant's (dungarees) should make a good start, but I wonder, is good to have a splash top this time of year?

Arpy, is it your trip? I'll PM you my :call: numbers

Paul in NZ

Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:48 am

Currently I'm at work so I'm wearing a fetching highwaisted pair of pantyhose, some french cut knickers and an alluring twinset... oh... you mean on the kayak... :$

Mate - this is a matter of personal preference and much debate. Some just wear boardies and a top. I'm a type 1 diabetic and as the years roll past I find I'm feeling the cold a little more in the autumn. I wear dungaree wettie with booties (if its windy I'll add a windproof layer), rash vest and a paddle top (Vicki and I scored one each on sale - woohoo). In the morning I may add a short sleeved thermal. I used to use a 20 year old nylon training top I got free when I purchased an overpriced pair of BBall boots (back in the day)...

Wettie on the bottom - something wind proof up top unless its really really warm ;-)

If you are late etc dont stress, just paddle out or if you want you can stop in at our place on the way north (I'm at Raumati South) and we can travel up together.

Danfili

Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:21 pm

Methesda wrote:After the warm welcome and invite in the new members thread, I'm in, as long as I can sort out Danfili's generous offer of the use of his yak. It'll take a bit of organisation, but at the very least, I might pop along to meet any of you that are going.

Can I ask what you guys are wearing at the moment? I've got a two piece Spearo wetsuit, whose pant's (dungarees) should make a good start, but I wonder, is good to have a splash top this time of year?

Arpy, is it your trip? I'll PM you my :call: numbers
all sorted bro just sent you a PM , so you can use the Yak , paddle and leash , seat , anchor and i better throw in the PFD for you too. have fun mate , Kapiti boys will look after you

VHF ZMT6439

Danfili

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:10 pm

A seagull told me there was a decent swell yesterday , some good fishing and surfing on the way back in , trip report boys 8)

VHF ZMT6439

Arpy

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:34 pm

I sat down this afternoon and wrote a long report, hit preview and with that it disappeared into cyberspace!\ :@ I HATE computers!! Too :headbang: to do it again at the mo bro!
Prowler13
PB Snapper 7.21kg

Paul in NZ

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 am

Danfili wrote:A seagull told me there was a decent swell yesterday , some good fishing and surfing on the way back in , trip report boys 8)
I guess the trip report of the KTC ( Kapiti Turtle Club ) must be told.... eventually, once the embarassment dies away of being shown up terribly ....... :wasntme: I'll even post some pictures tonight (if i get 5 mins)

• Information