Just moved to Welly - need your help to learn the local conditions

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
Pronto
Kayak Model: Frenzy

Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 pm

G'day,

I just moved to Wellington from Palmy and am keen to hit the water. I'd like to give Makara or Pukerua Bay a crack later in the week, but have no idea what conditions I should be looking out for.

Is anyone out there able to tell me for these areas:
What wind/swell direction/speed I should not go out in?
If there are any specific local hazards that I should keep an eye out for?
If there are any indicators of conditions changing for the worse that should make me head back to shore?
If there are any tricky currents in the area?

Thanks!

Trent

Blazer60
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 pm

This link to Swellmap can be a helpful guide and from this you can access Pukerua Bay and other areas: http://www.swellmap.co.nz/boating/new-zealand/makara

Current can move pretty quick around Makara so if you aren't a confident paddler you need to pick your times and conditions. Same at Pukerua, there can be a fair bit of current from time to time. I guess it's up to you and your skill level in terms of how far out you venture. Both are good areas to fish. Just keep a weather eye out and be aware of changes in the wind and how that impacts the sea state. If the wind is looking like in excess of 12 kts I don't bother, I like to enjoy myself and not have to battle the elements. Conditions looking pretty good later this week, Friday evening around Pukerua and Saturday looking OK as well. I'm sure there''ll be some yaks out and about either/both days. Evening seems to work well.

Might catch up with you sometime.
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

Pronto
Kayak Model: Frenzy

Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:56 am

Awesome, thanks Blazer. Is there a prevailing current direction, or is it tidal?

I'm pretty comfortable on the water (I kayaked Doubtful Sound and D'Urville Island last year, but my fishing yak is pretty small and slow so I'll be staying reasonably close in. I had planned to upgrade to something larger last year, but the missus pulled the funds at the last minute when my motorbike needed an expensive service. She is now telling me I have to choose between the bike or a new yak!

Blazer60
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5911 - Blazer60

Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:49 am

I dont go out too wide but I suspect, from what others have said, that there is a fairly decent current that prevails from the north. The stuff I have encountered is more tidal but when it happens it can be quite strong, the issue being that if you are fishing with bait you almost need a 'dozer cleat to get to the bottom. Suffice it to say, I've never really been put off by the currents or caught short. If you are looking to start in close, Pukerua Bay might be a good start point.
Blazer60
Viking Reload ZMW5911

• Information