pallister bay, corner creek campsite

Wellington region discussions, for local trips, meetings etc.
cbfb
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Latitude: -41.37365272, Longitude: 175.03884988

Bout 2.5 hrs from home

Started kayaking last year been laid off over winter

Was founding the surf around here a bit much to handle thought this might be easier ti get back into it

What are peoples thoughts

Heading out at weekend weather permitting if anyone's keen
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

NZ Weather Stations & Webcams

Rob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:03 pm

Hi cbfb,

The wave action at Ocean Beach isn't like the sandy West coast beaches (rolling in from far out) instead they are a short sharp dumping action. Ok on a nice day, but more than a meter or so swell and you are liable to be thrown back onto the beach. Strong undertows as well (Don't take kiddies swimming!) Calm days aren't very common.
I have only been out there on the kayak once, right off the beach it drops to about 5 meters and then gradually deepens after that. You can be in 8 meters 3 or 400 meters out. Gravel/Stones/Pebbles make up the sea floor, according to the Navionics website. http://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en

Surfcasting, you can get Kahawai, Red Cod, Skate, sharks. I have seen Moki, flounder, caught in a net, set just off the beach. Snapper wouldn't be as common as over your way.

Swellmap http://www.swellmap.com/forecast-maps doesn't look overly flash either.

Rob

cbfb

Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks Rob, you might have saved me a drive there. I thought from the geography it might be a nice gentle bay but it sounds like it can get a bit nasty.

Something like Pukerua Bay would be ideal, but I believe there is still a fishing ban on.

I've also looked at Porirua Harbour but not sure how much fish / sewage it holds.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Beast
Kayak Model: Cabo

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Hi cbfb,

Rob's right about the wave action down there, typically there is only one breaker to worry about but it's usually 6 foot high :) Having said that, I have fished around the coast from there near Ngawi/Cape Palliser and done reasonably well. I don't know what it's like in Palliser Bay itself though I suspect Rob is also right that it would be mostly sand but I see there are some rocks on the map near corner creek (and my mates have dived around somewhere near there for paua and crays) so there are probably also some reefs to find cod or tarakihi on too. Swell map can be a bit deceptive with regard to conditions out there, you really need to look at the reason for their ratings. I take particular note of the wind strength and direction (Palliser Bay is exposed to the south for instance) as that is the main influence on whether or not I'd go out there. The swell can be 2+m but as long as it's not breaking waves you'd have no trouble negotiating them - provided you find somewhere to launch that gets you past the first one that will be breaking! The second thing I check is the period as this gives me an idea of how many lumps I'll have to cope with out there, a large swell with a long period (i.e greater than 10 seconds) is usually no problem, provided there is not much wind. I think swell map takes the size of the swell into account as part of it's rankings which can throw you off. So having said that and checking with swell map for the weekend I'd say you had a small window, possibly on sunday arvo, right about when you were thinking of packing up to come home :)

http://www.swellmap.com/boating/new-zea ... lliser-bay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you wanted to go there, it's worth it for the scenery alone, take the snorkel and wetsuit with a hood (it's colder than the manawatu water...) and the kayak but also the surfcaster cos you might be sitting on the beach but at least if you are there you can take advantage of any window in the weather that does crop up. The Lake Ferry Hotel do some nice meals too...

Pukerua Bay has a ban on collecting shell fish and fishing is only allowed with hand held lines only within a designated area (pretty much between Paekakariki and Wairaka Rock (south of Pukerua Bay)). This time of year it's too cold for snapper but you still could catch kahawai, gurnard, trevally and tarakihi if you are lucky and can handle throwing back lots of sharks... Plimmerton offers limited shelter from the northerly and there are also some spots on the harbour you can hide from the wind in too.

Other places you could try are heading north to Taranaki (Kai iwi or Patea say?) as it's not that far from Palmy either.

Hope that helps,
Beast
Ocean Kayak Cabo

cbfb

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Beast wrote:Hi cbfb,

Rob's right about the wave action down there, typically there is only one breaker to worry about but it's usually 6 foot high :) Having said that, I have fished around the coast from there near Ngawi/Cape Palliser and done reasonably well. I don't know what it's like in Palliser Bay itself though I suspect Rob is also right that it would be mostly sand but I see there are some rocks on the map near corner creek (and my mates have dived around somewhere near there for paua and crays) so there are probably also some reefs to find cod or tarakihi on too. Swell map can be a bit deceptive with regard to conditions out there, you really need to look at the reason for their ratings. I take particular note of the wind strength and direction (Palliser Bay is exposed to the south for instance) as that is the main influence on whether or not I'd go out there. The swell can be 2+m but as long as it's not breaking waves you'd have no trouble negotiating them - provided you find somewhere to launch that gets you past the first one that will be breaking! The second thing I check is the period as this gives me an idea of how many lumps I'll have to cope with out there, a large swell with a long period (i.e greater than 10 seconds) is usually no problem, provided there is not much wind. I think swell map takes the size of the swell into account as part of it's rankings which can throw you off. So having said that and checking with swell map for the weekend I'd say you had a small window, possibly on sunday arvo, right about when you were thinking of packing up to come home :)

http://www.swellmap.com/boating/new-zea ... lliser-bay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you wanted to go there, it's worth it for the scenery alone, take the snorkel and wetsuit with a hood (it's colder than the manawatu water...) and the kayak but also the surfcaster cos you might be sitting on the beach but at least if you are there you can take advantage of any window in the weather that does crop up. The Lake Ferry Hotel do some nice meals too...

Pukerua Bay has a ban on collecting shell fish and fishing is only allowed with hand held lines only within a designated area (pretty much between Paekakariki and Wairaka Rock (south of Pukerua Bay)). This time of year it's too cold for snapper but you still could catch kahawai, gurnard, trevally and tarakihi if you are lucky and can handle throwing back lots of sharks... Plimmerton offers limited shelter from the northerly and there are also some spots on the harbour you can hide from the wind in too.

Other places you could try are heading north to Taranaki (Kai iwi or Patea say?) as it's not that far from Palmy either.

Hope that helps,
Beast
Thanks Beast, sounds like Palliser might be a bit ambitious maybe try it later on in the season when I've got a bit more experience.

Kai iwi and Patea are only an 1 - 1.5 hours from me so definitely possible for a day trip. Are they a bit gentler on beginners than the west coast beaches (e.g. Waiterere or Himitangi)?

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

Beast

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Patea has a river mouth and I know they launch boats there, I'm not sure about kai iwi either. I would say they are likely to be slightly better as there are more bays up that way that could offer you the possibility of sheltering behind a headland to avoid fierce surf. Certain parts of the south coast around ngawi can also offer the same depending on wind direction, compared to your monotonous straight beach at tango, etc. Don't need to paddle out as far in the naki either as it gets deeper slightly faster. My best advice would be to pick your days, wind less than 10 knots and probably easterly? If you are worried about tipping out, practice first with no fishing gear on, check out paddle guy's YouTube videos on getting back on if you're not sure. Tie everything on you want to keep and preferably lie your rods down for a surf entry. Much nicer than a snapped rod or worse the holder breaking inside your yak! Let me know if you are thinking of coming down this way and if I'm home I'll stick my head out the window and tell you if its worth the trip.
Ocean Kayak Cabo

Beast

Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:54 pm

There is a good webcam at waitarere too. Can't remember the site but ask Google, its much clearer than most of them
Ocean Kayak Cabo

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:39 pm

Or just ask this site there is a webcam thread here....
Himitangi also has a webcam now as well. Manawatu district council website or horizons from memory ...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

cbfb

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:42 pm

Beast wrote:Patea has a river mouth and I know they launch boats there, I'm not sure about kai iwi either. I would say they are likely to be slightly better as there are more bays up that way that could offer you the possibility of sheltering behind a headland to avoid fierce surf. Certain parts of the south coast around ngawi can also offer the same depending on wind direction, compared to your monotonous straight beach at tango, etc. Don't need to paddle out as far in the naki either as it gets deeper slightly faster. My best advice would be to pick your days, wind less than 10 knots and probably easterly? If you are worried about tipping out, practice first with no fishing gear on, check out paddle guy's YouTube videos on getting back on if you're not sure. Tie everything on you want to keep and preferably lie your rods down for a surf entry. Much nicer than a snapped rod or worse the holder breaking inside your yak! Let me know if you are thinking of coming down this way and if I'm home I'll stick my head out the window and tell you if its worth the trip.
Thanks, yes definitely true about depth hadn't considered that.

Will definitely do some research into taranaki, I haven't really been over there but know the wellington region quite well so hadn't considered the first option until you mentioned it.

Unfortunately quite experienced at getting wet thanks to the waiterere surf! Pretty crap to drive all the way there and get dumped out repeatedly, would rather drive a bit further for better coastline.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

cbfb

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Beast wrote:There is a good webcam at waitarere too. Can't remember the site but ask Google, its much clearer than most of them
Yes there is. Have to say the met service surf forecasts for that stretch of coast are a bit hit and miss. Have been surfcasting there for a while and it seems to depend a lot on luck.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

cbfb

Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:46 pm

GBC wrote:Or just ask this site there is a webcam thread here....
Himitangi also has a webcam now as well. Manawatu district council website or horizons from memory ...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
There is... If you click the link on my sig I have collected a few web cams and weather stations (private observation ones and public local forecasts) for my favourite fishing spots.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

• Information