snapper

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
EddieHarris
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:24 pm

hi I am a newbie to kayak fishing, was just wondering what the best ways to catch snapper are. thanks

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:10 am

Get out on the water. Seriously, there are more ways to catch snapper than I can type. Follow Rob Forts Reel Screaming Kayaks on You Tube, and jump in with a kayak fishing club, plenty of on water advice to be had.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Kingaling
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:14 am

Bait is obviously a tried and true/easy method. But soft baits are one of my favorite ways, very successful technique and much more exciting than bait to me. It's a more active style of fishing, and you really get to feel the fish hit your lure. You can change up your retrieve, depth, speed etc.

These are the sorts of rod and reel combos people usually use: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishing- ... eel-combos

With a 15-20 lb braid, and a 1-2m fluorocarbon leader tied on to the braid. And you can use a different weight of jig head depending on what depth/current you're fishing.
The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 am

EddieHarris wrote:
hi I am a newbie to kayak fishing, was just wondering what the best ways to catch snapper are. thanks
Whole books could be (and have been) written about this topic...

Let's start with the basics: where are you based and what have you tried so far?
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

EddieHarris

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Kingaling wrote:
Bait is obviously a tried and true/easy method. But soft baits are one of my favorite ways, very successful technique and much more exciting than bait to me. It's a more active style of fishing, and you really get to feel the fish hit your lure. You can change up your retrieve, depth, speed etc.

These are the sorts of rod and reel combos people usually use: https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/fishing- ... eel-combos

With a 15-20 lb braid, and a 1-2m fluorocarbon leader tied on to the braid. And you can use a different weight of jig head depending on what depth/current you're fishing.
When you are using softbait, can you drop it to the bottom and retrieve or do you cast it and retrieve?

Kingaling
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:22 pm

EddieHarris wrote:
Kingaling wrote:

When you are using softbait, can you drop it to the bottom and retrieve or do you cast it and retrieve?
You can do either.

Typically it involves casting, letting it sink and retrieving.

You can also drop it to the bottom and let it tick along the sand while drifting, I've caught snapper and sometimes gurnard this way.
The bigger the mission, the better the fishin'

EddieHarris

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Kingaling wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:22 pm
EddieHarris wrote:
Kingaling wrote:

You can do either.

Typically it involves casting, letting it sink and retrieving.

You can also drop it to the bottom and let it tick along the sand while drifting, I've caught snapper and sometimes gurnard this way.
Awesome! Thanks for your help :y:

EddieHarris

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:13 pm

Casualtyward wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 am
EddieHarris wrote:
Whole books could be (and have been) written about this topic...

Let's start with the basics: where are you based and what have you tried so far?
I’m based out by tangimoana but l sometimes travel down to cape palliser. I haven’t tried for snapper yet

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:02 am

Just to clarify for beginners. Soft baiting is to all intents and purposes, lure fishing, usually with a flexible soft bait fixed on a lead jig head hook. It might more properly be called soft plastic fishing, since most of the lures are made of synthetic materials. However, some brands e.g. Gulp! are supposedly made of edible, or at least biodegradable materials, so the term bait seems to have stuck. To complicated that further. Americans call some kinds of soft plastic lures, "baits" regardless of their constitution. Confused yet? In short, just think of them as lures.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information