Soft baiting while anchored

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Kayak Kev
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak/Torpedo 7
Kayak Model: Cruise 278

Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:43 am

Hi everyone newbie here - kitted out a basic 2.78 Torpedo Cruise and been out off Narrowneck a couple of times - learning what to do and what not to do. (ie don't open hatch and then forget to lock it again, then realise the Kayak is suddenly very heavy and full of water!
Anyway my query is around fixed anchoring and whether soft baiting still works?
Haven't been brave enough to actually use the anchor yet apart from using it folded up as a dead weight. Trolley system works ok. Reading a lot about drift chutes but surely in the current it wouldn't work to slow me down much? More effective against wind (which I'll be trying to avoid). Could be wrong.
Having lots of fun soft baiting but seem to move very quick from either left to right or right to left (depending if incoming or outgoing tide).
If I fix my anchor can I still soft bait or does the 'you have to be drifting for soft baiting to work' apply?
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Cheers, Kev

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:43 am

You can fish softies at anchor, especially in a burley trail, but one of the big advantages of this style of fishing is that you cover ground and hunt the fish down. At a guess, 99% of soft bait fishing is done on the drift.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Throwing a drogue out slows the drift in windy conditions, but if wind and tide are going the same way...
I often use a drogue when wind against tide, at times not moving 50m over an hour, other times going in a wide 200m circle as various current come and go.

As far as anchoring, well if you saw a column of fish on the sounder and headed updrift and dropped the pick, chances are a) deep currents could carry your baits in the opposite direction, or b) the fish have moved on by the time you get set up.
If I was going to static anchor, I'd set it up with a quick release and a float so if I hooked a good fish, I could drop the tether and do battle on the high seas, returning with my 34lb Snapper to recover the anchor after the
"Yahoo!"...and sit and cast around the yak using the clockface pattern (being able to flick a bait 30m behind you blind is a skill worth having), then move on.

If you're in light winds/currents, you don't say if you're fishing current-riddled harbours or 'neutral' water, then I'd suggest not anchoring at all (I couldn't tell you how many years it's been since I nailed myself to the seabed).

The secret to yakfishing is that you wind the boat to the fish, not the other way round - And everyone loves a good Nantucket sleigh ride behind a fish!
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Kayak Kev

Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback, yeah i'm thinking I'll have the anchor with me 'just in case' but it seems that the benefits of drifting and successful soft baiting outweighs the benefits (and potential problems) of anchoring to the bottom. Just bought a chute so will give that a crack next time. Anything to slow me down a bit (and less energy draining paddling) haha...Been about 500? metres out from Narrowneck but probably need to go out a bit further closer to the channel markers to find the better fish...

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Kayak Kev wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:30 pm
probably need to go out a bit further closer to the channel markers to find the better fish...
Deeper isn't necessarily better, I've sight cast to 6-8kg fish in 2-3m water on many occasions.
They're where you find them, and often the golden zone (just beyond surfcaster range) produces well without excessive paddling - Don't get sucked into "Horizon Fever" like the boaties, fish smart. ;)
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Kayak Kev

Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:44 pm

Yeah to be fair I was finding plenty of bites and near misses fairly close in as you say - so once I slow down my drift and perfect my technique I may not need to bust a gut going out too far. My Yak is slow, short and fat - seems quite stable though which is reassuring.

• Information