TAS Attack!

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
AndrewRawlingson

Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 am

Had a hankering to try some things not easily available in NZ.

Dr Evils for trolling which you know all about and some Gulp 6 inch worms.

Ordered from MOTackle in Aussie. They were a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately, their courier (Fastway) was not. 6 weeks delivery time!

I'll report back if there is anything to report

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat May 20, 2017 1:06 pm

Great lures. You'll be suprised at how deep they run. Keep an eye on your ff depth reading. ;)
The trebles are good and strong , before I changed mine out for singles I flattened the barbs for a bit of safety . Those trebles get snagged on everything.

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Sat May 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Cheers dedant. My plan is to get rid of the trebles. I was thinking about a single single on the back, would be virtually weedless. What do you think? Also, what brand/size of single works?

Chanos chanos
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: ProAngler 12'
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6144

Sat May 20, 2017 2:03 pm

[quote="AndrewRawlingson"]Had a hankering to try some things not easily available in NZ.

Dr Evils for trolling which you know all about and some Gulp 6 inch worms.

Ordered from MOTackle in Aussie. They were a pleasure to deal with. Unfortunately, their courier (Fastway) was not. 6 weeks delivery time!

I'll report back if there is anything to report

Howzit, I just ordered a Daiwa Sol 2500 from them to replace my 8 year old one and had the same drama with the same couriers, think we should let them know, lots of excuses and promises and similar delays. Also ordered same Dr evils and found that they drive a tad too deep for my liking and the "drag" on my rod was too heavy, a bit shallower diver next order
Cheers Adrian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ZMU 6144 "Woza Weekend"
Meadowbank, Auckland

Hobie Pro Angler 12'
Hobie Pro Angler 14'

AndrewRawlingson

Sat May 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Chanos chanos wrote:Howzit, I just ordered a Daiwa Sol 2500 from them to replace my 8 year old one and had the same drama with the same couriers, think we should let them know, lots of excuses and promises and similar delays. Also ordered same Dr evils and found that they drive a tad too deep for my liking and the "drag" on my rod was too heavy, a bit shallower diver next order
did talk to the guy via email, i got the impression that he'd heard it all before. re: dr evils - deep is good for me :)

dedant

Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Tomahawk is the shallower running later edition I think?
I havn't had the same results on snapper with mine but then I troll the dr evil a jot more!
Mustad and yozuri have good inline hooks . The lures run bib down so the belly hook doesn't hang down and may not balance without it. I don't remember what the size is I used

Glass is Class.. dedant

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun May 21, 2017 9:02 am

Yeah, I know a lot of people rave about those Dr Evils, but I've had very little success with them.
Mostly used in Kawakawa bay and Orere Point and at Orere it's an absolute seaweed magnet! In Kawakawa bay's <6m's I'm sure I can scribble my name on the sand with the lure.

Sure will give them a go next time I'm in Coromandel or somewhere deeper than my usual spots.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon May 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Regarding the hooks on the Dr Evil's: I've been running them for several years now and went from trebles to singles, and have gone back to trebles again.

I found the single hooks I was using affected the action of the lure, as did not having the belly hook. Having gone back to two trebles I also had a noticeable improvement in my strike:hookup ratio on snapper. As a result I'm happy to put up with the extra caution needed when handling lures and fish, and am now on the hunt for a good quality barbless tropical treble that isn't too heavy for the lure :y:
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

AndrewRawlingson

Mon May 22, 2017 5:47 pm

interesting info. thanks.

dedant

Mon May 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Limitless wrote:Regarding the hooks on the Dr Evil's: I've been running them for several years now and went from trebles to singles, and have gone back to trebles again.

I found the single hooks I was using affected the action of the lure, as did not having the belly hook. Having gone back to two trebles I also had a noticeable improvement in my strike:hookup ratio on snapper. As a result I'm happy to put up with the extra caution needed when handling lures and fish, and am now on the hunt for a good quality barbless tropical treble that isn't too heavy for the lure :y:
Ok! ; note to self; dig out trebles, check points and replace singles... :lol:

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Wed May 24, 2017 10:59 am

Stephen, what about two singles, have you tried that? I really want to give these lures a good go, but am quite adverse to treble hooks. Cheers.

dedant

Wed May 24, 2017 3:26 pm

I run two singles on most of mine.On my Dr Evils I tied flsher material on the trailing single hook to increase the drag effect of the hooks. They work so well out of the box I don't know why I chose to dick around with em . ADHD maybe? :lol:

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 pm

dedant wrote: ADHD maybe? :lol:
that's normal :rofl:

Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 pm

dedant wrote:I run two singles on most of mine.On my Dr Evils I tied flsher material on the trailing single hook to increase the drag effect of the hooks. They work so well out of the box I don't know why I chose to dick around with em . ADHD maybe? :lol:
just keep giving me your trebles Ant

dedant

Thu May 25, 2017 7:05 am

Peace wrote:
dedant wrote:I run two singles on most of mine.On my Dr Evils I tied flsher material on the trailing single hook to increase the drag effect of the hooks. They work so well out of the box I don't know why I chose to dick around with em . ADHD maybe? :lol:
just keep giving me your trebles Ant
Ah.... that's where they went! :D

Glass is Class.. dedant

AndrewRawlingson

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 pm

Quick update.The Dr Evils caught a lot of snapper on their first serious outing. No one is more surprised than me!

Something a bit different and a pretty cool thing to do.

Technique based on what the Viking Kayak team have written and what they do in Aussie. They are way ahead of us in this respect.

In short, Dr Evil lure (a barramundi lure), trolled slowly (idle on my ski = 4km/h) with light soft baiting gear.

The lure creates an awful lot of drag, but I think this is necessary to get it to dive down to the snapper. I don't know how you folk paddle with them on kayaks.

Another thought. Some of the fish took the treble hooks in to their mouth and they were tricky to unhook. No drama as they were legal and I wanted a few to take home, but snapper and trebles are a bad combination as their mouths are relatively small. A couple of the fish clearly wouldn't have survived unhooking.

Six fish caught in about 25 minutes. Another six fish caught over the morning. No fluke. As with all things fishing, I don't think it's a magic bullet, but another string to the bow.

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:04 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 pm

The lure creates an awful lot of drag, but I think this is necessary to get it to dive down to the snapper. I don't know how you folk paddle with them on kayaks.
I liken them to towing a plow - you can really feel the extra effort needed to keep the kayak moving. I've had a bit of success with them too, but I reserve them for when I'm feeling energetic.
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:17 am

True. My soft bait rod is virtually doubled over when trolling them. Mr Tapp seems to manage though!

dedant

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:39 am

I find the Stealth I;m paddling, whilst one of the "slower" models is well suited for trolling. Dr. Evil in picture. :)
Attachments
P1010331.JPG

Glass is Class.. dedant

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:07 am

Now I don't paddle, I'll have to take my select out and give them a tow. Never found the energy levels high enough when I had the yak.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information