Straylining (How do you personally do it?)

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Epicskwid
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: ProFish 400 Lite

Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:47 pm

As a boy who's grown up fishing ledger rigs to tarakihi and gurnard in Hawke's bay, i've done barely any stray-lining before, only recently getting more consistent at catching snapper, through the use of a kayak.

So my question is how do you personally set up a rig ?
Line weight / Hook size / any other tips
I have seen some people use floats to keep the bait just off the bottom.

Looking for this information as i am trying to target large snapper rather than the 30 - 40cm ones i've been getting.

Cheers :y:
Viking ProFish 400 Lite
Catch 290 [Retired]

Kayak PB's
2.2kg Blue Cod- Golden Bay
1.2kg Gurnard - Okiwi Bay
1.7kg Snapper - Clifton
1.3kg John Dory - New Plymouth Port
3.2kg Kahawai - Hawkes Bay Port
2.1kg Trevally - Taylors Bay Mahia
35cm Tarakihi - Whangawehi Mahia

vr4king

Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

I'll show you my setup this weekend mate

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:57 pm

Anchor up with burley in a bit of current.

I use a long leader and a mono running rig with a 5/0 J-type hook and the minimum required weight to get the bait most of the way down. If the bait does hit the bottom I retrieve a few winds - I want it up in the current.

After anchoring I wait 15 minutes or so and start a cube trail (slivers of barracuda are good for this).

I then chuck the hook out baited with a smallish anchovy or a McPilly (pilly inside a squid tube).

I have a bait-runner reel. I set the front drag so I can pull line off with moderate effort then deploy the bait (I feed it out by hand, I don't cast).

Once the bait is out I switch to the rear drag, and use the minimum drag required to stop the bait running out. I want the fish to feel as little resistance as possible when it picks up the bait. Then I wait and keep cubing - a few slivers every few minutes.

If the bait gets picked up I let it run till it stops, count two seconds (fish has now eaten or dropped the bait) and strike.

If they run pause and run again, I strike immediately.

If they run without stopping I assume they are hooked. I need to switch to the main drag, but I don't want to rip the hook out. So I loosen the main drag and switch over to it, then tighten it up as required.

Well that's my approach. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. The bit I'm most confident about is whne to strike. I miss very few. Getting the buggers to show up is the hardest part for me.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

SitDown
Kayak Make: Reload

Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

I use 2 outfits, 4kg & 8kg overhead reels with mono line
30lb trace with 2 x 7/0 recurves both knotted on with long line knots, please yourself with either fluro or the cheap stuff, I use the latter
1/4oz sinker or no sinker, if a bit of current about, I will add more 1/4oz sinkers, up to how ever many you like, it does not bother fish looking to feed. These sinkers sit right on top of the bait
Both outfit mainlines, I use a small double (spider hitch) then use a bristol knot to the trace (no swivels)

Pillie, chop the last 1/4 off, tail end at an angle. First hook (hook closest to mainline) through the pillie head between the eyes, second hook through the gut. Always have a hook in the gut area !!
When you hold the pille up before you flick it out, the bait should be loose enough so the head swings freely on the hook, the gut hook is the business end. If the pillie is a big buggar or is quite fat, squash it, so when the fish bites it, it will include the hook
Always fish with the rod in your hand, walk your baits when just off the bottom & continually take up slack line, the fish usually hook themselves. When I get a take, I will very slowly wind the line, the fish will hook itself
Score yourself a decent pair of kitchen scissors with radius edges (so you don't stab yourself). I use this for all my cut baits. Haven't used a knife in years, only to fillet fish. For those fat or larger pillies, the scissors will be handy trimming your bait down, say, from the top of the back bone to the dorsal fin, chop that part right off, exposing the flesh along the way
During my fishing session, I will burley baits using my scissors, finger nail size of my thumb
If you hook 2 fish at a time, always leave 1 of them down, while you play the other up, re-bait it, then flick it out again. A hooked fish will alert other fish to start feeding

If you get a kahawai & you decide to keep it, use the whole of its gut, when the fishing starts to come on, bind the gut it onto the hooks with lots of bait elastic, flick it right out the back, leave it in the rod holder, usually its a goodie that gets on that one
churrr

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:01 am

20lb braid. 40lb supple trace (20 in winter)
1 or 2 6/0 mustad demon light gauge circle hooks depending on bait size
if two hooks, about 3-4" between them
pre made traces varying from no weight through to 1oz. usually use 1/4 oz. just enough to get bait sinking but not enough to anchor it. ideally it bounces along the botttom n keeps moving down current. pre made traces means i can clip another heavier/lighter one on depending on current.
whole squid - one hook through eyes, top hook through mantle leaving enough room for a couple of halfhitches for presentation.
Pillies - both hooks through eyes then 1 in shoulder n one at end of gut cavity/anal area
strip baits - single hook passed once through end of bait
softies - still working on this but larger 6" on double hooks
I use baitcaster n feed them back into current, keeping in touch, sometimes lifting them up to increase movement.
good luck at classic :)

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:45 am

petecanaan wrote:20lb braid. 40lb supple trace (20 in winter)
pre made traces varying from no weight through to 1oz. usually use 1/4 oz.
Pete, what brand of supple trace do you use and how do your prefer to store your traces?
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:18 pm

Black magic and old ledger rig holder thingies
Attachments
20170406_181945.jpg

Flowrider
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: Flowrider

Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:21 pm

Watch some early Matt Watson shows, he is good at showing how to strayline. Usually two hooks and a small running ball sinker, half hitch at the end of the bait and let the sinker sit back on that. Whole pillies or big slabs of bait if you want big snapper, like a whole fillet of a fresh small kahawai. Chuck it out and let it sink down, keep an eye on the line because it can get taken on the way down. A really fun way to fish and great for big snaps.
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Classic http://kayakfishingclassic.org.nz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club http://www.oskfc.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Viking Reload

• Information