Shimano Waxwings

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi, Looking to get a few waxwings to use for trolling behind our Hobies and also to take to Aitutaki in a couple of weeks time to use for surface casting inside the reef.

Any suggestions as to the best colour/sizes to get?

When triolling waxwings, do they run on the surface? or do they dive like bibbed lures?

Also looking for advice about bibbed lures for trolling back here, again any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:05 pm

The blue and pink 88mm waxwings are like crack for kahawai. They tend to run just below the surface. When the speed is right the rod tip will vibrate.

The only downside is that barracuda love them too and they are expensive.

Also the berkely 3B monster lures are very popular with kahawai (and barracuda grrr!). At least they are big enough to keep razor sharp teeth away from the line so the attrition rate is lower.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Smudger.aws
Kayak Model: Reload

Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 pm

any particular colour for the 3b's?

MikeAqua

Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:14 pm

'Blue Streak' - the two tone blue.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

dedant
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:12 pm

StrikePro and West shell are two brands in the shops here and realitively inexpensive and both catch snapper. Dr Evil via Aussie are a great proven deep running snapper catcher all be it a bit pricey. :)

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Is there a 'most productive' way to work these lures like there seems to be for others and may I ask what that is please? Having added a few to my tackle box recently and trying one out yesterday evening with relatively average results, I must be doing something wrong.

Is it a slow retrieve to let 'walk the dog' side to side action do its thing or can we troll/retrieve at higher speeds and just rely on them having faster but smaller twitches or a little bit of both or?

I pitted a blue waxwing against my favourite powerbait pearl white minnow softbait with a 1/8oz jig head, and the latter spanked it on Kahawai. I suspect it's more to do with my lack of time on the waxwing and figuring out the best action for it so am hoping for a few pointers please.

Thanks.

MikeAqua

Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:58 am

I've used them two ways, with reasonably consistent success.

Trolling: -
- 3 colours out
- Paddle at speed that maximises vibration of the rod tip. Depends on the conditions on the day. when I get the speed right, I can feel it from the rod-holders behind my seat
-No particular pattern to the course I troll, but I try and paddle as quietly as possible, keep my feet still, minimise rudder usage.

Spinning: -
Cast out as far as possible
Retrieve at a speed that maximises rod tip vibration
Vary the speed a little.

In the boat, I've had Kahawai smash into waxwings a few feet from the boat (old, bare-alloy hull) hold when drifting and spinning. They can't resist them.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

kingiFiddler

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:39 pm

Thank you. I'll keep trying to perfect the action.

*edit* High tide at Mangawhai estuary mouth (inside the bar) this morning, it was 4 (kahawai) to a buttUglyGlueStickHack and zero to the beautiful waxwing.

But in all fairness, the tide and their mood was changing by the time the waxwing got a shot at it. Will have to swap them over straight after landing the first fish next time and see how they go. Am surprised the glue-stick worked but I guess even the ugly lures get hit on when the punch is flowing.
IMG_20170331_144901696.jpg
It would have been a 5-zip downtrou but one kahawai spat the dummy. About 6m from the yak it does a little dance and spits the lure straight back at and hits, the yak. Had to laugh.

MikeAqua

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 am

I should point out that my experience with waxwings has been in the Nelson-Marlborough area, where the Kahawai are typically eating anchovies and similar small silvery bait-fish.

If that white lure is effective, then possibly the kahawai you are catching are eating smelt or similar? You always have to 'match the hatch'.

Have you noticed what is in the stomachs of the Kahawai you catch?
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

kingiFiddler

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks for that.
Had a good run with the pearl white minnow softbaits too, so I guess that's matching the hatch also.
I've only kept one Kahawai. Even after bleeding them immediately, I can't give 'em away. But will make a point of keeping one and checking what they are eating.

It also turns out there are a few different types or sizes of waxwings and I suspect the ones I bought are too large compared to the hatch. Might try a smaller size just to be sure, but if the glue stick keeps working there's less incentive to.

MikeAqua

Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:48 pm

If kahawai is bled and iced it's good as raw fish or for fish curries, fish chilli or cajun recipes like blackened fish. And great smoked of course.

Not as good for pan fried fillets etc.
ZMT-7387
'Zespri' Viking Espri

• Information