Rods and nets how long is too long ?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Kayak Make: Jackson
Kayak Model: Kraken 15.5

Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:15 pm

With Boaties starting to show a preference into longer softbait rods are Yakas doing the same thing now ? And I guess getting around the rod length issue with longer and or telescopic landing nets ? Or is there still a preference to under 7'

Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:09 pm

I like taking 2 rods with me, one purely for SB with 10 or 12lb leader and fairly light tackle and one "heavier" rod for trolling, casting in a workup and other general duties.

My heavier rod is a Pflueger 7'6" that I got from MadMike and i quite like it. Have had no issues with the extra length and can cast quite a bit further with it. The only part that's not so comfortable is that it has a long butt (whatever you want to call the section of the rod that's your body's side of the reel). But for me that's a problem on some other, shorter rods as well and as far as I understand from AWondering, that's a personal preference - some people like long butt's and some like short butts (on their rods and on their women).
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Currently using a 7" rod for soft-baiting, then a 7" and a 6.3" for slow jigging.

Jigging is where it's at though, probably spend 90% of my time with that now.

Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:31 am

My favourite ( only used once |( ) OH micro jig/sb rod is 8' long and my sb spin rod is 7' 8" . both are managable , neither have longish butt sections. The extra leverage the fish apply makes them feel bigger! :D

Glass is Class.. dedant

• Information