Gulp vs Z-man

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Smudger.aws
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 am

Early this summer I swapped from Gulp softbaits to Zman (got feed up with the Gulps getting chewed off etc)
Slow fishing all summer, some good fish (up to PB of 66cm) but generally hard work...
Went to Sullivans at crack of dawn on Saturday and had no success for the first couple of hours, realised I had an unopened pot of Gulp's on board, so tried one....immediately getting bites on every cast...4 decent fish within the next 45 minutes...had a lot of Gulp's bitten off by small snapper etc, but the difference in bite rate was astonishing (same colour lures as the Zman ones, new penny) I can only guess it's about the smell of the Gulp's as the Zman don't have much smell to them at all...

Any similar stories or opinions?

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Absolutely, gulp works better for me than zman. Only time it's about equal is in just the right strength wind (12ish knots) with the zman in the rodholder.
I assume this is because I'm not a very good softbait fisherman and the swells in 12 knots createz just the right action to entice the fish.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Kenny
Kayak Model: Reload

Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:56 pm

I went the other way. Started with gulp, and now Z-man only.

The new pennies work best for me.

I also luv the fact that Z-mans last and don't go hard.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Gulp all day long for me, tried Zman couldnt get on with them at all...

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Up until late last year, I used to be Gulp only. Then switched to Z-Mans during a big clearance special online.
Since then I've given the Z-Mans a fair run (almost exclusive use) and have decided to run one on the rodholder, bottom bouncing, as well as the active SB rod.
If the action slows, then I switch to Gulps on the active rod - but as has been noted, with more attention although incurring the expected higher consumption.

If I had to take one bait (without knowing how the fishing was going to go) it'd be Gulp...unless I was planning on working Leatherjacket-infested reef.

.................... "Flying Mango"....................
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:55 pm

I fish both with good results, but find I have to vary my technique between the two:

Z-Man lures float and can benefit from going up slightly in jig head weight, especially in deep water. This can also be used to your advantage with a Carolina style rig over worm beds and has given me spectacular results in the likes of Bream Bay

Z-Man lures are "softer" (not as stiff/rigid) so can be more sensitive to retrieve speed, especially the paddle tails and grubs. Work them in view beside the kayak so you can sort out the speed you need without overpowering their action before casting them out of sight. This is one area where the Gulps can be more forgiving.

I find Gulps are also more forgiving if you don't stay in touch with your lure i.e. you have much longer to respond to a bite/take before the fish shies away. I get my best results with Z-Man by paying attention and staying in touch with the lure, ready to strike at any take.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Peace
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: SOT Fishing Pro
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5048

Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Limitless wrote:I fish both with good results, but find I have to vary my technique between the two:

Z-Man lures float and can benefit from going up slightly in jig head weight, especially in deep water. This can also be used to your advantage with a Carolina style rig over worm beds and has given me spectacular results in the likes of Bream Bay

Z-Man lures are "softer" (not as stiff/rigid) so can be more sensitive to retrieve speed, especially the paddle tails and grubs. Work them in view beside the kayak so you can sort out the speed you need without overpowering their action before casting them out of sight. This is one area where the Gulps can be more forgiving.

I find Gulps are also more forgiving if you don't stay in touch with your lure i.e. you have much longer to respond to a bite/take before the fish shies away. I get my best results with Z-Man by paying attention and staying in touch with the lure, ready to strike at any take.
thanks for the insight Stephen

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:35 pm

The way I look at it is that Gulp is the ideal hybrid between a bait and lure, Zmans on the other hand are a better lure, and a far lesser bait :?:

My preference to begin with is always zmans, but if it isn't producing the fish then its time to change something, for me that is when the
gulps come out, or I try a lure of some description....

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 pm

This is a difficult one for me because I don't do enough soft baiting to identify patterns. I generally use Zman. I dislike Gulp because it's half way to bait, expensive, messy and less durable, BUT the scent thing makes sense and many serious soft bait anglers wouldn't be with out it. Having said that, I catch most of my fish on slow jigs and they don't have any scent. Maybe I would catch more if they did! Do I "need" to catch any more fish? Not usually, but occasionally, they're just not on it and perhaps having another trick up my sleeve wouldn't be a bad thing :?:

Badger
Kayak Model: Reload and GT

Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 pm

I started on Gulp but got a bit tired of the expense and lack of durability. So gave the Z-Man a crack and they seem to work for me. Much prefer their durability and certainly spend less money on them so for me at least, they're much more cost effective. I haven't tried fishing the two brands back to back so wouldn't be able to comment as to which is categorically the more effective.

I've used secret sauce on the Z-Man and to mimic the Gulp scent but I'm not so sure that it improves things drastically.

All that being said, sliders etc have been out fishing the soft baits for me recently.

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:58 pm

I use Z-mans myself. I still have 3 very old unused tubs of Gulps sitting in the garage. If I had more time to go fishing I would give the gulps a good test run.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Jordan_jh
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: tetra

Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:54 pm

I put it to the test today. After chewing through nearly a whole new tub of crazy legs to small 30-35cm snapper I decided to try the trusty old zman paddle tail. Soon after I had a bin full of snaps mostly only around 35-42 and a couple bigger at 50 and 54 all on the one softbait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndrewRawlingson

Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Haha! I had the opposite experience. After pondering this thread, put the slow jig rod down for most of the day. Started out with Zman curly tail in new penny. No bites. Switched to a similar colour Gulp Jigging Grub which is a similar design and the fish didn't stop coming. Got through two small packs in no time at all though.

dedant
Kayak Make: Jackson Kayaks
Kayak Model: Kraken
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:20 pm

I use both , probably Z-Man more than Gulp. But had differing results with both. the money saved with Z-Mans is spent on seceret sauce so no saving there :lol:
My only concern with Z-Man ( and Savage Gear real eels etc) is they don't bio degrade the way the Gulp do.
i have seen a couple of YouTube clips where they have done clean up dives in popular fishing canals overseas and the crazy amount of lures and soft baits recovered is mind blowing! I don't like seeing rubbish on the side of the road or on the beaches and over the course of a year I wonder how much harmful plastic I have left in the sea ? :$

Jackson KRAKEN dedant

jedijay
Kayak Model: GT

Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:18 pm

After seeing this post I also tried a little test on the water. It was a slow day on the water with small snapper destroying my pillies as soon as they hit the bottom. Just like the others I found that the gulp would lose it's tail after a few good hits, but was getting more hits than the z-man. One other thing I notice was that the secret sauce wouldn't stick to the gulps and would just come off in water. This could have been due to the fact that I've had these gulp for ages and might have been past their use by date.

I'll probably stay with z-man as they do still catch the fish and you don't have to worry too much about them. As I normally take smelly bait out fishing as well, so it's too much fluffing around trying to manage two rods.

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:00 pm

In summary of replies, more bites with Gulp, but more expensive and more unwanted attention from leather jackets and baby snapper?

woodstock
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: profish 400

Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 am

Z man for me and I know gulp is biodegradable but how biodegradable and sound like lots of fish are eating them I know I wouldn't want to eat one and see what it does to my insides :-)

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

piwikiwi
Kayak Make: perception
Kayak Model: swing

Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 pm

dedant wrote:I use both , probably Z-Man more than Gulp. But had differing results with both. the money saved with Z-Mans is spent on seceret sauce so no saving there :lol:
My only concern with Z-Man ( and Savage Gear real eels etc) is they don't bio degrade the way the Gulp do.
i have seen a couple of YouTube clips where they have done clean up dives in popular fishing canals overseas and the crazy amount of lures and soft baits recovered is mind blowing! I don't like seeing rubbish on the side of the road or on the beaches and over the course of a year I wonder how much harmful plastic I have left in the sea ? :$
I hear you on this but wonder how biodegradeable are gulps ? Ive heard stories of gulps left in water for months with no change. I lose chunks and chunks of Gulps into the sea and the odd Zman but very rarely.

• Information