Stick Baiting on the Cheap

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:47 pm

If we can't fish, at least we can shop... or plan.

I'm keen to get myself a top-water setup, something I can cast pretty far with and that I can try Stick Baiting with. Wife gave me the option to choose between a rod/reel combo and a radio for my car for my birthday, which is tomorrow. I choose the radio as I do miss having music in my car and I didn't know what I'd need on such short notice and didn't think the wife's budget would cater for both a rod and reel.

So I'm thinking of doing this in 2 steps. Buy a rod now to use with one of my existing reels and then, if required, replace the reel later on.

I do have a Daiwa Regal BRI 5000 new and unused lying at home. It's got a 39.1" (99.3cm) line retrieval rate, which I believe is pretty good - but it's a bit of a beast at 686g.
Or I could swap that with my Penn Spinfisher 4500 at 436g. Still bulky, but a bit better and not quite the same retrieval rate at 34" per turn.

Will either of those work for Bait Casting and what rod do I put that on? Looking for something I'll be able to cast pretty far with and that will be able to take the punch should I hook a kingie.

Don't "ask" me what weight stick baits I want to use, you'll have to tell me. I don't know. I want to throw da ting and catch da feesh.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

B0ydie
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:49 pm

If you want casting distance you really need to match the rod to the reel as the line comes off a reel it has a natural loop and it is the spacing of the first three eyes of Rod that bring those loops down to a straight line there are programmes available to work out the required spacings I reckon give kev a call as he could build a rod to suit the reel

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Profish 400

beerbaron
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Urban camo

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:19 pm

First drink is for your birthday coming up later
Second drink is for your poker face on the wicked sounds on the car to get on the water to cast a surface lure to our favorite green backs!
Third sip is the great opertunity to match your reels to your chosen rod, take the best reel down to your favorite retailer and get yourself a good ass wiping stick!

:beer: :beer: :beer:
Old Town saloon whiskey swiring electric vibration fish slaying apparatus!

AndrewRawlingson

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:18 am

FoM - I decided that I needed to carry a spinning/casting setup with me. I use slow jigs 95% of the time (maybe more), but occasionally want to cast a lure. My softbait setup wasn't beefy enough for what I had in mind and continues to gather dust in the garage. I didn't want a stickbait setup as such because I didn't think it would get enough use, but did want the ability to cast a stickbait. I decided on a 5000 size reel/matching rod and limit myself the lighter end of stickbaiting. I picked up some 16cm/58g Shimano Orca lures and they balance the outfit quite nicely. No hook-ups yet, but I've had a few kingies chase them which was exciting.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:00 am

Hi FOM

I have a second hand Pflueger 7'6" 10-15 kg rod that I used for stickbaits off the yak if you interested, in new condition, phenomenally good rods and ideal for the yak...

$90 all yours
Mike King.jpg
Mike King.jpg (73.87 KiB) Viewed 860 times
Mike
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:11 pm

MadMike wrote:Hi FOM

I have a second hand Pflueger 7'6" 10-15 kg rod that I used for stickbaits off the yak if you interested, in new condition, phenomenally good rods and ideal for the yak...

$90 all yours
Mike King.jpg
Mike
Thanks Mike, PM sent.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland