What's your favourite braid?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:01 pm

I think some folk are still missing the point with braid IE breaking V Diameter ... diameter is a psychical characteristic that can be quantified by measurement , BS can be tested, but who tests the tester or the testing machine ?... you can bang any breaking strain on a package, the industry is full of BSH%T about BS strains of line, you hear all the time for example 8lb fireline tests at 20lb ??? the brands know exactly what it tests at, so why not just put the correct info on the boxes its that simple ...

I will bang this link back up so those who haven't seen it can have a read... bear in mind this applies to Europe, to my mind it should be across the board, if you have time and do some googling of a product in Europe and find the same down here, there are big discrepancies in specs V BS ....In some countries there is only diameter on the spools, if that was the case down here, I think the general population wouldn't have a clue what to buy :y: http://www.efttalinecharter.com/en/

Anyway I tend to use powerpro for the most, suits the way I tie knots etc :y:

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:41 pm

AW I agree 100%, a lot of them still base their lb rating around an equivalent line diameter in Mono, unfortunately I think that may have been started by Berkley with fireline etc 4lb being the diameter of 4lb mono but breaking at 6kg, It was originally a marketing ploy to get people to understand the difference between braid and mono I think even before the real benefits of it were apparent in fishing realms. A little like hooks there seems to be no industry standard between braids, weights, line ratings, hooks sizes etc, It would have to be close to one of the strangest unregulated markets around the world huh? :)
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Wed May 18, 2016 9:26 am

On my third spool of fireline. 6kg. Colour fade annoying....
Spooled my little baitcaster with 8lb j braid recently. Lovely to cast but does have horrible tendency to tip wrap regularly... :headbang:

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:46 pm

Resurrecting an older thread. Daiwa J-Braid let me down very badly recently. It literally cost me the fish of a lifetime. I can't find anything online that is negative about J-Braid, so maybe I just got very unlucky. 80lb J-Braid snapped at a drag setting of 12kg. The braid was brand new and hadn't come in to contact with anything other than the rod/reel.

petecanaan
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: pf400

Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:23 am

Due to my bad case of TAS, I'm always a sucker for the latest n greatest and regularly respooling...
Liked the Berkley fireline 14lb until it faded.....
Loved the suffix 832 10lb till it faded and started breaking.....
Found the j braid 8lb bit limp.... wind knots and looping around everything!
Changed back to suffix duraflex mono briefly. 7kg
Running powerpro depth hunter 10lb on the little tatula n 20lb on the stradic. Good for knots,casting, n micro jigs.

For me visibility is important when flicking softies.
Fun watching the colour peeling off the baitcaster :rock:
but ya can't beat the scream of a preset drag.

Schecter
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

I've got Suffix 832 both both my stradic (20lb) and curado (30lb). I've had them on my reels for over 2 years. There is a slight colour fade but on a whole it appears to be in good condition. I'm likely to have it replaced with Suffix 832.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Dogmatix
Kayak Make: Jackson
Kayak Model: Kraken 15.5

Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:42 am

Im Running the J Braid in 50 and 80, I will be swapping this out for one of two options.

$$ The new Daiwa 8 evo tournament
or
$ Berkley whiplash, used this before the line dia is great for its strain its nice and supple and lasts well at a good price. well worth a look imo.

• Information