Hats for large heads

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
lespresso
VHF Call Sign: N/a

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:11 pm

i fully appreciate that this post won't be of interest to most people, because that is the issue

from spending an estimated 40 hours online trying to find a hat that fits my 63.5cm nog, has a wide brim (ideally 10cm), and is constructed from materials that are suitable for a marine environment it is clear that the market has all but given up on catering to this need as the volumes are too small, which i understand, but it doesnt help you much if you have a large head

i have an akubra (australian) which was never quite large enough and the leather internal headband has shrunk and stiffened with years of sweat and the salt that accompanies it and to take this kind of hat out on the saltwater is a bit stupid

there are tilly hats, (canada) which make good suitably large hats but the brim size seems to be 2.5" on the sides and 3.5 fore & aft, which is a possibility although id ideally like a 4" (10cm) brim right road

i also have an outdoor research hat presently in XL size which while it fits on my head is too tight and after a kayak session you can expect to have a headache for a couple of hours, which are something i otherwise never get, ever. this hat has 4.5" brim to the back and 3.5" to the front and is superb in all other respects, but that is the largest size they make so that's that

i have a XXXL kangol bucket hat which fits beautifully, but the brim is only 2 1/4" all round and it just isn't enough to protect the neck

i have also purchased the kalahari hats that viking kayaks and others sell, but again, they are just too small

so anyway, this is what i settled on; http://www.bigheadcaps.com/big3xlkhakiboonie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it hasn't got a 4" brim, but its the best i have found to date with 3" all round

it is manufactured by these guys: http://www.henschelhats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i'll let you know how it performs in due course (its coming from the States - so i ordered two)

i really hope this post helps just one person avoid the hours and hours i have wasted on researching this

if someone else has found a better source, i'd be most interested to hear about it

cheers

reiss. :coffee:
Last edited by lespresso on Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viking Reload (2019)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Specifically wanting a brim?
My wife wears one of these with her (floor-length) hair in a bun (equalling another half-head's worth!).

http://www.vikingkayaks.co.nz/shop/acce ... n+hat+1670
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Hi HLD

That is a good hat and I have purchased one, but it doesn't fit (one size doesn't fit all, unfortunately)

Kind regards

Reiss
Viking Reload (2019)

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Well, my 59cm noggin is an oddly-shaped peanut compared to yours - You must have a brain the size of a small planet in there 8)

Tried the Industrial Safety shops? Protector Safety, NZ Safety etc.

Otherwise, the only suggestion I can make is
hat.JPG
hat.JPG (62.44 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:17 pm

:lol: yeah I've lost a lot of time on it, hence the post.
Viking Reload (2019)

HookiT
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: PRO 400 LITE
VHF Call Sign: ZMQ4712

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:14 pm

Reiss try ( Sheplers.com ) go to western hats (Larry Mahan), they have a great straw hat offering great sun protection 4,1/2, inch brim, plus they can be dipped into water to cool down.. Cheers.

G1
Kayak Model: Profish

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:42 pm

I gotta big head...see pic. Same size as your by the looks. Heres what I wear. I got in in Straya. Comfy and keeps the head cool and sunburn away. Any questions....fire away.
IMG_20160228_183331.jpg
IMG_20160228_183457.jpg
IMG_20160228_183355.jpg

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:51 pm

I know where your coming from Reiss. Ours where awesome this year but they barely fit my head... last years were a far better bigger fit but alas this years were not.
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:09 pm

Man, there is just soooooo much good material in this thread .... I just don't know where to start ! ;)

fritter
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4166

Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:35 pm

Be grateful its what it is Hainsey.... G1 is present.

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Hainesy wrote:Man, there is just soooooo much good material in this thread .... I just don't know where to start ! ;)
boom! boom! very good :lol:
Viking Reload (2019)

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi G1

thank you for posting as i did not find those guys in my searching

i have a question - the other hat i ordered has mesh in the sides like that - is it ok or do you get burnt there as a result?

reiss.
Viking Reload (2019)

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:11 pm

i failed to include the new zealand option, which was my first choice; http://www.hillshats.co.nz/collections/leisure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their hats sizes are each designed to cover a range of head sizes, as you might expect, but the top end of the range for their largest size was 63cm and given that i have a small collection of hats that don't quite fit already i shied away from that option

it also has a 3" brim and hills are as far as i can tell the premium hat maker in new zealand so i would steer you toward them first and support local industry if you can

another new zealand option is http://betacraft.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, whose hats are sold through marinedeals website, but once again, their XXL size tops out at about 62.5cm
Last edited by lespresso on Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Viking Reload (2019)

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:14 pm

MadMike wrote:I know where your coming from Reiss. Ours where awesome this year but they barely fit my head... last years were a far better bigger fit but alas this years were not.
well you'd have the market to yourself if you decided to add a large size next year: there is simply no competition as far as i can tell. i rang hills, they've got no interest in doing anything larger, or making a one off either (i didn't place any budget constraint on them)
Viking Reload (2019)

lespresso

Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:28 pm

HookiT wrote:Reiss try ( Sheplers.com ) go to western hats (Larry Mahan), they have a great straw hat offering great sun protection 4,1/2, inch brim, plus they can be dipped into water to cool down.. Cheers.
Hi HookiT!

thank you for that suggestion. they seem to have the large sizes, but a straw hat is not my first choice for kayak fishing - i think it needs to be machine washable as its soaked in sweat if the session runs past 10am in the summer (no straw, no leather, no rabbit fur, no bits of metal to corrode)

a hat on a kayak really takes a beating and i think they are as essential as a life jacket - skin cancer is a big deal here
Viking Reload (2019)

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth-less
Kayak Model: Pending
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:50 am

Some of the wide brimmed crickey style hats at the warehouse are larger sized. Around $15 doesn't matter how long they last really, blaze too. I picked up one in camo years ago to go goat shooting from a $2 shop, waaaay too big for me , might be an even cheaper option

Glass is Class.. dedant

Casualtyward
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU7778

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:54 pm

AntN wrote:Some of the wide brimmed cricket style hats at the warehouse are larger sized. Around $15 doesn't matter how long they last really, blaze too. I picked up one in camo years ago to go goat shooting from a $2 shop, waaaay too big for me , might be an even cheaper option
I was going to suggest likewise - I got a wide brimmed hat from the Warehouse in Blaze Orange that feels generous in its size; however, I haven't run a tape around my bonce to see if I'm anywhere near your gratuitous girth.

Only $15 though and you could try before you buy!
Kotare II
Ocean Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Callsign: ZMU7778

G1

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:56 pm

lespresso wrote:Hi G1

thank you for posting as i did not find those guys in my searching

i have a question - the other hat i ordered has mesh in the sides like that - is it ok or do you get burnt there as a result?

reiss.

Unlike Hainsey I have a full head of hair :rofl: that protects me from the sun :lol: :lol: Never had an issue with this hat and sunburn.

lespresso

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Like hainsey I don't have a full head of hair unfortunately. Thanks for the reply.
Viking Reload (2019)

G1

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Also as a side note. I made my own leather conditioner out of bees wax that I rub into this hat, it keeps the leather moist and the water out.

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information