New toy Tuesday - Mega Savage Real Eel

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
Pope
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:45 pm

Over the last 6 months I have been using the Savage Real Eels to target kingfish with some success. 20 plus rat kings over 3 trips By slow trolling. They have a good action behind the kayak. I have also had 2 big bust offs which must have been sizable kingies based on how hard they pulled.

I decided to get some bigger models that are not available in NZ. The bigger ones are 40cm and are both rigged and unrigged models. I will troll both on the surface and weighted for mid water and try and pick up some bigger model kingies.

Photo includes a 4 inch grub for size comparison so guess they won't be used locally.
Attachments
20150203_192120.jpg
20150203_190008.jpg

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Picked up a couple of Saury "game" lures a few years back - They didn't last long at all, despite upping the weaponry for the second one.

Might have a nosey at these guys....
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:04 pm

Where do you get these from Pope?
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:03 am

I spotted these a while ago and thought they would be good, does seem to have proven to be the case. Does anyone know if eels are part of the normal kingfish or snapper diet? It doesn't really make any difference, just interested.

Edit: I think they would also be good for vertical fishing with enough weight at the head, no more mechanical jigging work outs! Any thoughts?

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:46 am

I can imagine running just sub-surface, these would look very Piper-ish in lighter colouration...
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Pope

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:45 am

WaikatoYakka wrote:Where do you get these from Pope?
http://www.savagegear-usa.com/product/v ... loose-body
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:Picked up a couple of Saury "game" lures a few years back - They didn't last long at all, despite upping the weaponry for the second one.

Might have a nosey at these guys....
One of the big ones I lost was through a straightened hook. I have some unrigged models so that I can beef up the pointy bits. They appear to be quite ruggered as a single lure typically accounts for 5-6 fish before I need to change. I plan to use a heaver sets for these and one area I target has restrictions on mechanical jigging anyway so I use that set for trolling.
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:I can imagine running just sub-surface, these would look very Piper-ish in lighter colouration...
The smaller model I first used did a bit. I was fishing with Rusty on the Coromandel and lost a kingie next to the kayak as I was trying to land it, while the lure was slowly sinking in the water before I could re-cast and second Kingie picked it up, so it doesn't take much action to get them working.
AndrewRawlingson wrote:I spotted these a while ago and thought they would be good, does seem to have proven to be the case. Does anyone know if eels are part of the normal kingfish or snapper diet? It doesn't really make any difference, just interested.

Edit: I think they would also be good for vertical fishing with enough weight at the head, no more mechanical jigging work outs! Any thoughts?
Not sure what fish like and if they don't work then I would have had some fun along the way. There is a video of some guys landing a fish in 80m water off Croatia rigged with a 250g jig head and assist hook. Has me thinking about trying it out deep also.

DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:10 pm

Picked up a few of the bigger models myself when targeting Pike. Haven't had much of a chance to test them out on Kings.
What colours did you go with and reckon are the most successful for Kings?
Attachments
20150204_170506.jpg
Hobie Out Back 2017

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:47 pm

You can buy the bigger ones in NZ now too!!!
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

Pope

Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Jungl3Jim wrote:Picked up a few of the bigger models myself when targeting Pike. Haven't had much of a chance to test them out on Kings.
What colours did you go with and reckon are the most successful for Kings?
I used Olive Pearl and Green Pearl but am sure other colours will work.
Check these bad boys out!!!
alien-eel-v2.jpg
alien-eel-v2.jpg (44.85 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
Alien Eel will peal to the fisher but not sure about fish. See video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gJNEG9r4so
MadMike wrote:You can buy the bigger ones in NZ now too!!!
Great, the largest I could find in Auckland was the 20cm ones. They have been the ones I use the most to date but will keep a look out for the bigger ones, although I hope my stock will last at least a couple of months.

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:15 pm

How are you rigging them Greg ?

DARKE ANGLER
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Hobie Outback Camo

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:12 pm

If on your travels you come across these from Savage, grab some for me would ya please mate.
They're not in the 2015 catalogue so guessing they're old stock. I'd love some more and only have 3 or 4 left ;(
Attachments
20150204_190443.jpg
Hobie Out Back 2017

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:18 pm

Very detailed and real looking.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3