View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Rigging Softbait 

Post Rigging Softbait
This may be a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. Is there any reason not to put a swivel clip on the end of your mainline (braid) and attach your flouro trace to the jig head one end and a swivel on the other end. Then just clip your trace onto the mainline as you need it. As you've probably guessed, being a novice fisherman I'm more comfortable tieing knots sat at a table where I can take my time, check it and do it again if it isn't qute right. I could take a few pre tied traces with me (with different weights of jig head on) and swap as needed.

I do this with all our shore fishing tackle, with a swivel clip permanently on the end of each line, then just clip on whatever is needed on the end. Makes it quick and easy, especially with at least 4 sets of tackle to set up for me, the wife and kids.

Thanks
Kevin

Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm

Post Re: Rigging Softbait
I used to do what you are doing, until I learnt (the hard way) that generally when you either break off or have to cut the line (on a snag) its above the swivel, so I now recommend that you learn how to tie those knots when sitting in a kayak.

Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Kevin there are only 3 knots you have to learn , the bimini twist which doubles your braid and you need to double it , this is the best and strongest knot for when you double , it is also the hardest to do out of the 3 . Probibly best for someone to sit down with you and teach it to you , i did this with another forum member last week .
The next knot to learn is the back to back uni knot or the yucatan knot , these are for joining your flurocarbon ( trace ) to your doubled braid line . I used to do the double uni knot but have recently changed to the yucatan knot as i think this is a little better when casting and probibly easier to tie .
The last knot to learn is a uni knot which i use or think a lefties loop which i havnt learnt . These 2 knots are for tieing your jighead to your flurocarbon ( trace ) .
If you are going to try softbaiting you need to learn these knots , you cant do it half arsed and be useing swivels ect . You also need a softbait rod and reel .
Softbaiting is a very , very , very effective way of fishing and i hardly ever use bait anymore , it also brings back the enjoyment of fishing , big fish on light gear is a rush ! :rock: .
I would suggest you go and buy the january copy of NZ FISHING NEWS as this has an article on the knots and pictures to follow .
Tackle store salesman will usually tie knots for you the first time also , but i suggest you just practice , practice and practice more .
The bimini twist drove me mental for 12months before i sussed it out .
Good luck , if you live in auckland i dont mind showing people how to tie some of these tricky knots .
Cheers kk

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 pm
Site Admin

I know this will probably start a knot war but you can start off with just one knot... Learn a Uni Knot then you can do a back to back Uni Knot to join your braid to your leader, and you can use the Uni Knot to tie your jig head on...

From there learn the Five Turn Surgeon to replace the back to back uni knot, and learn the Leftys Loop to tie the jig head on with...

Lookin for a new ride... - RED and BLACK is there another colour..?
Stealth Evo 495 - Gone...
Stealth Evo 465 - GREEN and WHITE For Sale...
Ocean Kayak Tetra 12 Angler - RED and BLACK Gone...
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7 - RED and BLACK Gone...
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 - Gone...
Necky Looksha 14 - RED and BLACK For Sale...
Kawasaki STX 1100 - RED and WHITE Undergoing Surgery...

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

Uni Knot

Back to Back Uni Knot

Surgeons Knot (do five turns and have your braid doubled)

Leftys Loop / Rapala Knot

Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:42 pm
Profile WWW

Mental wrote:
I know this will probably start a knot war but you can start off with just one knot... Learn a Uni Knot then you can do a back to back Uni Knot to join your braid to your leader, and you can use the Uni Knot to tie your jig head on...

From there learn the Five Turn Surgeon to replace the back to back uni knot, and learn the Leftys Loop to tie the jig head on with...

Youll get no war from me mr mental :lol: . You can learn the uni knot for tieing jig heads and joining lines together but you still have to double your line . There are easier knots to double your line with than the bimini twist but once you learn it not to bad and is supposed to be the strongest double .
I used to to do the 2 unis myself until i sussed the yucatan . :)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:41 am

I will add fuel to the fire and suggest that when on the kayak the only knots that you need are the 5-turn surgeons knot, you can use this to double braid as well as join leader to braid, and Lefty's loop for leader to jig head. Both knots are easy as and take seconds to tie. I have never had them fail yet...hope that is not tempting fate :)

Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:52 am

I understand the logic behind not using a swivel as when you snag it busts off above but I know the great man S Tapp uses this method to allow quick weight changes without noticeable dropoff in strike rates. I always use albright to braid/fluro and perfection loop to jighead with no problems and the purists say better without swivel more natural. What do you guys reckon ?

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:06 am
Site Admin

Kingfish killer wrote:
Mental wrote:

You'll get no war from me Mr mental :lol: . You can learn the uni knot for tieing jig heads and joining lines together but you still have to double your line.

I double my line but without tieing a knot, I'll just double the braid by folding it back on itself, tie the knot and then cut off the tag end, I see no advantage on tieing a knot for the double myself, it's a) another knot to tie/learn b) it must add another weak point to your line

Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:55 am
Profile WWW

I tie my braid onto a swivel clip, then have a swivel at one end of my leader and the jig head at the other. I have no trouble casting, and the fish don't seem to mind, although I am not specifically targeting big fish.

"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1

Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm