Tips and ideas to Keep It Simple please.

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Howdy all.

Long time no read. Been up to my eyeballs in work but will be back into some fishing soon.

This Summer's fishing mantra for me is 'less is more'. I'm going through and questioning everything, to better assess if I actually need it, if the compromises are worth it to keep the tackle requirements simple.

Has anyone any good tips on things we can do without?

Do we really need swivels? I mean, how much twist in braid before it reduces line strength catastrophically? I don't mind spending the last few hundy meters trolling just my lines (traffic permitting) to untangle again from the outing's trolling and livebaiting.

If away from foul ground or structure, do we need leaders? I mean, unless it's a toothy critter, are we going to lose it it the lure is connected directly to the mainline with zero leader? What about a livie - will the mainline be too obvious compared to fluro' for example?

Anyone fished baits or livies with inline single lure hooks, thus only the one hook type needed for everything (although perhaps a bit troublesome using them on softbaits?)?

Any tips to keep things simple?

Thanks all.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 pm

I try to keep it simple. Usually only two rods/reels. No swivels. As for leader, depends on your mainline. If braid, then I would want a leader for abrasion resistance and lower visibility. A livebait straight to braid is just asking for trouble in terms of tangles. If you really want to make life simple, ditch bait fishing altogether, it's just not necessary, but each to their own.

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
If you really want to make life simple, ditch bait fishing altogether, it's just not necessary, but each to their own.
Single best thing I ever did in fishing. Everything else you may try to simplify pales in comparison!! Go softbait, it's just better.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

kingiFiddler

Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
I try to keep it simple. Usually only two rods/reels. No swivels. As for leader, depends on your mainline. If braid, then I would want a leader for abrasion resistance and lower visibility. A livebait straight to braid is just asking for trouble in terms of tangles. If you really want to make life simple, ditch bait fishing altogether, it's just not necessary, but each to their own.

Am down to two rods also. I wonder if with speedclips I could get it to one without missing out on too many fish.

Dropped livebait with no leader could be a tangle feast, but how about slow trolling one with no leader?

Will try no swivels and just relieve line twist at end of each session.

Have you tried those single inline eye lure hooks on softbaits and real bait (the livies don't always live so become regular bait at some stage, or burley).
FatherOfMany wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:54 pm
Go softbait, it's just better.
Yeah, apart from when livies go dead and I either troll them or drift a snapper speculator out if the location warrants it, I've been on softbaits for a few years but haven't yet found the right lures and techniques to eliminate livebaits completely. Closest I can get so far is big softbaits like slug-go's. Haven't had the jig success that Andrew has either. Plenty still to learn about best techniques.

AndrewRawlingson

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:29 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 pm
Am down to two rods also. I wonder if with speedclips I could get it to one without missing out on too many fish.

Dropped livebait with no leader could be a tangle feast, but how about slow trolling one with no leader?

Will try no swivels and just relieve line twist at end of each session.

Have you tried those single inline eye lure hooks on softbaits and real bait (the livies don't always live so become regular bait at some stage, or burley).
Speed clips are one option, there are others which are more reliable, although less speedy :D

I suppose if you were in total control of a trolled livebait, you could avoid tangles if you fished straight through with braid. The thought of being attached to a kingfish with no shock absorber at all makes me shudder a bit. Having said that, a few metres of fluorocarbon probably doesn't buy you much shock absorption. If carrying a spool of leader material is too onerous, why not tie on a longish leader on at home? If you lose it, then you are no worse off than having not had it at all.

As for inline hooks, I haven't tried them for those applications.

TBreezy

Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:43 pm

Yeah, I'm keen to hear some ideas people have too. I tend to take way more stuff than I probably need to...

I try to have small containers in the garage packed ready to go for whatever style of fishing I want to do on that particular day - soft baiting for example - a few jigheads, some leader and a small selection of lures (one or two of various colours instead of 1 packet of each). I like to think this works in theory but I always end up taking way too much stuff!

Schiskafish
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.1

Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:39 pm

I generally also have just 2 rods with me. 1 softbait setup and a longer stiffer rod out back trolling rapala (sometimes more productive than softbait). Can also use this stiffer rod for casting surface lures if the opportunity presents itself
Prowler ultra 4.1

kingiFiddler

Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm

Am thinking about one rod+just slow pitch jigs and a few lures. No soft/live/dead bait. Come to think of it, has anyone had success trolling lightweight slow pitch jigs, such that I could try just these jigs and no other lures fro trolling? That'll certainly keep things simple if only had SP jigs and nothing else. But the point of a fishing kayak is to also catch fish ;-)

AndrewRawlingson

Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:46 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:51 pm
Am thinking about one rod+just slow pitch jigs and a few lures. No soft/live/dead bait. Come to think of it, has anyone had success trolling lightweight slow pitch jigs, such that I could try just these jigs and no other lures fro trolling? That'll certainly keep things simple if only had SP jigs and nothing else. But the point of a fishing kayak is to also catch fish ;-)
I wouldn't be worried if I just took some slow jigs out with me. I carry softies, but rarely use them. Very occasionally, the fish will take a softie, but not a jig. I haven't trolled jigs, but this guy has and they seem to work for small tuna species from a jetski.

I think they would work for kahawai and kingfish if you paddled fast enough. Don't know about snapper, a stop/start, slow paddle thing might work. It could be a new thing!

kingiFiddler

Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks.
Metal and soft + 2 rods, with a view to getting it down to just metal and one rod if I can, sounds like a simple plan.
Am not sure swapping yak for jetski is in keeping with the Keep It Simple mantra though, not to mention I'm struggling to up my $500 fishfinder budget to get a 6" bees knees unit, which pretty much makes a jet ski a pipe dream.

So I guess it's now about choosing what metal is going to work for me. From the 6978 different options. Perhaps stick with what that fellow uses, like the double troubles, and then throw in a few speculators from aliexpress?

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 pm

As for jigs, I don't think it matters much despite what the tackle manufacturers say. Aliexpress jigs are as good as anything.

kingiFiddler

Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:21 pm
As for jigs, I don't think it matters much despite what the tackle manufacturers say. Aliexpress jigs are as good as anything.
Imagine if a whole group of members on here decided to coordinate our spending so we each spent $50 on different lures from AliExpress and reported on here what worked and what didn't. The video you posted and a few others of his show the catch double troubles working well. imagine if we could find a similar lure on AliExpress, or any models of existing brands available here that are known to work well. Or is that a little too disruptive for some to stomach or perhaps we all just like to blow hundreds of dollars on lures each or just nobody gives a shit and each to their own or?

Buggered if I know but if anyone knows of some on AliExpress or even anywhere else at great prices they have proven to work or look remarkably similar to existing models here, could they post the links or info here please?

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Horses for courses and everyone has a different idea of what works for them. But....

One of the cool things with fishing is variety. limiting ones options limits ones catching ability and also the learning and challenges presented by each different method. Bait has it's place as do softbaits, sliders jigs and slow pitch, jigging and Top water... But to remove the option from ones radar completely is like removing the ability to select a different dinner when you don't feel like Mince yet again... and If you fish enough that is exactly what it can be like.

Bait in the shallows stray lined is immensely enjoyable and very productive especially in Northland and especially for large fish, as is Live baiting for king fish and can be just what the doctor ordered when you feel like a nice relaxed laid back day on the water that doesn't involve constant activity. It's also a good way of getting out for a fish in the morning before work and far more effective in the harbor shallows at change of light in 2m of water than pretty much any other method.
Soft baits around the wash areas along with micro jigs are also sensational fun but very reliant on a set of conditions to make it an effective day on the water.
deeper water then sliders, jitters and slow pitch work very well but so can dropping a dead bait...

They all pose a challenge and a learning curve with different approaches and they are all worth learning and make you a better over all fishermen, as does fishing different areas and different depth ranges at different times of the year.

How to keep it simple? don't try to take all the gear to do it all in one day even in a boat the limitation is time and rarely even motoring around the place do you have the time to put the effort into all methods at once, in a Kayak that time limit is in effect even more so. Choose the method that suits the day you are heading out be it in close or out a bit wider, anchored or at drift. in a harbor or outside. this way you ave options, no limits and a rounded perspective.

If I'm stray lining then I take one rod if its a quick mission... Pilchards and some pre tied rigs . little bag of 1/4 oz sinkers just in case it's needed but not normally
Day trip for bait would be 1 strayline and 1 live bait set again with pre tied rigs and a few balloons and bands
soft bait 2 x rods pot of Bait and a little jar of heads
I keep lure days for lures and bait days for bait. that goes for kayak or boat...

In the end I ended up using my pod for my lunch and pretty much no tackle other than in my pockets...

My 2c
Fishing is like a box of chocolates. you never know what is going to be served up...

kingiFiddler

Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm down to one rod. Tried two this morning but it only confirmed I just don't enjoy it as much. Funny how there have been times I used to take three or even four rods and a whole tackle box but I've gone right back to basics.

Many trips lately have been with just one lure (a DIY lure that is proving pretty bloody effective) to catch livies and one livebait rig. That's it.

There's still so much to learn even with just that and to be honest I get more of a kick out of learning how and where to fish these two rigs than just catching a feed. That might be because I don't eat seafood and almost all of it goes back unless it's good eating for family or friends. Actually, I don't tell many of them about the fish I release because they'd think I'm even more nuts than they already do.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:10 am

I'm down to one rod. Tried two this morning but it only confirmed I just don't enjoy it as much
Just on the strength of those words...
When baitfishing at anchor in the yak / boat or land based rock fishing, we have found it is best fished with 2 rods.
Usually when a fish is hooked, leave the hooked fish down there while baiting the other rod & only when the baited rod is fished in the catching zone that the hooked fish is bought up. The theory is, the hooked fish acts as a live bait, keeping the other fish in the strike zone, works particularly well when its been slow going
I have not been able to work this method in a kayak when a fish is hooked on a slider & then dropping a softbait down on top of it, should work tho

kingiFiddler

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks. Good idea. You lost me at baitfishing. :lol:

This Summer seems fully booked with livebait (yeah, bait, but hopefully eaten before dead) lessons. No room left for any other fishing types. But will keep that in mind for next year's lessons. Makes sense while they are all excited or come around to check what's up to get something in front of them.

which reminds me to comment that the taxman hasn't turned up around here lately. I guess only a matter of time.

SitDown
Kayak Make: reload

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am

haha, my bad there, have always called using baits as baitfishing.... probably an age era thing

TBreezy

Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:49 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:30 pm

Many trips lately have been with just one lure (a DIY lure that is proving pretty bloody effective) to catch livies and one livebait rig. That's it.
What species of livies are you catching on this lure?

kingiFiddler

Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:24 am

Sprats, small trevs, and kahawai of all sizes thus far. SitDown has me thinking I should strip-up the larger kahawai and strayline a speculator out back.

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:11 am

One of the things that simplifies fishing for me is Mustad's Fastach swivel clips. They are a swivel and speed clip in one and are very small for their rated breaking strain. I;ve had a sizeable thresher shark on one for quite some time and it didn't suffer any damage

Everything I might fish with will happily clip to a Fastach - lures, hooks, etc. If I'm fishing with traces, I tie a loop at the top end. I don't have to tie a knot on water, unless the leader is damaged.

I also use quite long leaders (a few rod lengths). If a leader gets damaged ... I can shorten it up, without having to redo the whole thing on the water.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Return to “Tackle and Accessories”

• Information