Does nobody use JARA removeable sinkers these days?

Discuss fishing tackle, methods, and kayak fishing accessories here.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm getting low and can't find anyone who stocks them. Does anyone know of anyone who still sells these please?

Alternatively, what do people use instead that's better? Just clip drop shot / bomb type sinkers on and off instead?

I'm not a fan of rubber core sinkers but may not have much choice.

Ta.
jaraSinker.jpg
jaraSinker.jpg (14.51 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Last edited by kingiFiddler on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:30 pm

AndrewRawlingson wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:08 pm
How about these?

https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/search/?t=klik
Thanks for that. Looks like an easy way to change weights. But it looks like they grip rather than run?

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

They run....

kingiFiddler

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:37 pm

Most excellent. Thanks again.

AndrewRawlingson

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:43 pm

They are available in blue and lumo, although even the company website doesn't mention the lumo versions. Hunting & Fleecing stock them as well.

kingiFiddler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:06 pm

This has me wondering what happened to JARA? Did someone buy them out and shelve it? It's too good a sinker to not be sold by someone. I don't doubt the Kilk stuff works and will buy some if I have no other choice, but there was nothing much wrong with the JARA sinkers. I never lost one unless the line broke or they 'leaked' from the tackle box. Easy to put on the line. I am a bit bamboozled why they didn't sell well enough to still be available.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 pm

kingiFiddler wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:06 pm
This has me wondering what happened to JARA? Did someone buy them out and shelve it? It's too good a sinker to not be sold by someone. I don't doubt the Kilk stuff works and will buy some if I have no other choice, but there was nothing much wrong with the JARA sinkers. I never lost one unless the line broke or they 'leaked' from the tackle box. Easy to put on the line. I am a bit bamboozled why they didn't sell well enough to still be available.
Kiwi fishos wary of fancy new fangled things :lol: , maybe too hard to figure how easy they are to attach. ( yes I have used them) . Now if I want to change weight I just cut the line off at the swivel ( or hook) and slide one off and replace it with another. Bit more time consuming but cheaper. :)

Glass is Class.. dedant

WEE WILLY
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Frenzy-4.1 Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMU 5277

Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm

Decoro Mt Maunganui is where I last got some, the only place i've seen them.
When I used to strayline or live bait I would bore large holes in ball sinkers & changed my rig to suit so I could add/ change weight easily.
<*))))><
<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....<*))))><....
<*))))><.... <*))))><....
<*))))><....

kingiFiddler

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:06 pm

dedant wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:45 pm
Kiwi fishos wary of fancy new fangled things :lol:
Ha, fancy calling it new. I learned about them when my old man taught me everything he knows about feeding fish. He gave me a big bag of 'em 20 years ago and I'm almost out and not because I've lost many to the sea, rather light fingers over the years.
WEE WILLY wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:43 pm
Decoro Mt Maunganui is where I last got some, the only place i've seen them.
When I used to strayline or live bait I would bore large holes in ball sinkers & changed my rig to suit so I could add/ change weight easily.
Thanks for that. I did go to their website, couldn't see the sinkers listed, and perhaps gave up too easily instead of giving them a call. Will call them tomorrow.

*edit*
Called but they didn't have any and I think the guy I was speaking with had never seen one before - might have been before his time. I offered to shoot a photo through but he seemed fairly sure they don't have any.

kingiFiddler

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:05 am

Well fellas and fellesses, it's not often I get a win but I've found someone with the moulds who is willing to make some up.
I'm told they aren't sure on price yet but did say much cheaper than retail. I'd like to make it worth their while to dust off these moulds and hoping someone else is interested in a group purchase of sinkers?

Sizing is still a bit up in the air; "Either ¼, ½, 1 and 2 OR ½, 1, 2, 3" they aren't sure.

Anyone else interested?

Telecaster
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.5 Elite

Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:36 am

Yes I would be keen for some 1/2oz, 1oz, 2oz (or whatever they have molds for)

kingiFiddler

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:41 am

A bit surprised nobody else was keen.

Have already ordered, but not received yet. Was going to wait until they actually got here before listing the makers details, just to make sure nobody else gets ripped off if the sinkers never turn up.

Tried to PM the details to you instead but it bounced back. Not sure why, maybe your settings exclude PM's?

I'll post up the contact details in here after my order arrives.

Biglug

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am

Hi there,
just new to this page real keen on getting some Jara sinkers. I like you, I love using these sinkers. I hope you receive yours ok. My email is karlanderana@gmail.com hope to hear back from you...

Cheers Biglug

• Information