January 2013 Competition - Sponsors > K-Labs and Top Catch Whangarei

Our very own monthly competition, catch a fish, take a photo, and win a prize! - enter today!
User avatar
Hainesy
Moderator
Posts: 8265
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196
Location: West Harbour

Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:59 pm

Lets ramp this up a bit...we all know what a Snapper looks like, lets go extreme and dangerous !!

Name / Username of Angler: Hainesy
Fish Type: A BIG Shark !!....Look at those teeth !!
Length: Unknown...around 2m
Date/Time of Capture:11th Jan 2013
Location of Capture: Mokohineau Islands
Type of Lure/Bait used: 2oz Elevator Rig with Sid Viscious in 70m of water on 15lb braid
Comments: "Here comes my 25+lb Snap......Oh bugger !!"
P1000735.JPG
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image

User avatar
Jeff666
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:34 pm
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Trident 4.3

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:02 pm

If you had a photo of it on the yak you would get my vote.
Old Town Predator 13
On the way The Old Town Predator PDL

User avatar
Hairy Little Dwarf
Moderator
Posts: 6979
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:15 pm

Hmm... Might go and trawl a hapless spearo around Doubtless Bay...that GW might still be around, would be worth it for a new rod :lol:
Image
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

User avatar
Hainesy
Moderator
Posts: 8265
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196
Location: West Harbour

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Jeff666 wrote:If you had a photo of it on the yak you would get my vote.
..after I set him free, he did try and get on board.!!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image

User avatar
STRAY DOG
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 9:19 am
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK,viking
Kayak Model: PROWLER4.3,4.1 ,pro fish 440
VHF Call Sign: stray dog
Location: NORTHLAND WEST COAST

Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Jungl3Jim wrote:I reckon we should be using a specific rule from the KFWC.. :lol:
3.Ferrying of Kayaks by any other vessel is prohibited.
:rofl: Thats the lot of them out then :lol:

User avatar
uktim
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:04 pm
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: navigator
VHF Call Sign: ZMU4068
Location: Rotorua

Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Hainesy wrote:Lets ramp this up a bit...we all know what a Snapper looks like, lets go extreme and dangerous !!

Name / Username of Angler: Hainesy
Fish Type: A BIG Shark !!....Look at those teeth !!
Length: Unknown...around 2m
Date/Time of Capture:11th Jan 2013
Location of Capture: Mokohineau Islands
Type of Lure/Bait used: 2oz Elevator Rig with Sid Viscious in 70m of water on 15lb braid
Comments: "Here comes my 25+lb Snap......Oh bugger !!"
P1000735.JPG
Sorry but as it has not been landed or been half decent measured, you've lost my vote. :n: Those teeth don't look THAT big, you would have been fine with it in the yak with you :*
Yellow Cobra Navigator
I dream of the day i can catch AND take a Snapper home for tea!.......finally achieved 22 Oct 2011 Matai Bay

ZMU4068 - YellowYak

User avatar
Hairy Little Dwarf
Moderator
Posts: 6979
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:27 pm

uktim wrote:Those teeth don't look THAT big, you would have been fine with it in the yak with you :*
They can still give you a really awesome hickey though :lol:
Image
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

User avatar
kiwiladbrad
Posts: 2220
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:56 pm
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator
Location: Auckland

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am

Yeah Hainesy you filthy cheat!!!!! Ban this man!!!!! :x :wasntme: :lol:
Image

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

User avatar
awondering
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 am
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:33 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:Yeah Hainesy you filthy cheat!!!!! Ban this man!!!!! :x :wasntme: :lol:
More important you own the fish you enter aye mate ... :x

User avatar
kiwiladbrad
Posts: 2220
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:56 pm
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator
Location: Auckland

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 pm

awondering wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:Yeah Hainesy you filthy cheat!!!!! Ban this man!!!!! :x :wasntme: :lol:
More important you own the fish you enter aye mate ... :x
Quit with your hollow witch hunt...
Image

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400


User avatar
awondering
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 am
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:
awondering wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:Yeah Hainesy you filthy cheat!!!!! Ban this man!!!!! :x :wasntme: :lol:
More important you own the fish you enter aye mate ... :x
Quit with your hollow witch hunt...


Yer you know... :lol:

User avatar
fishingrev
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3121
Location: Central Auckland

Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

Name / Username of Angler: Blake / fishingrev
Fish Type: Snapper
Length: 52cms
Date/Time of Capture: 19/01 at about 8.30am
Location of Capture: Murray's Bay
Type of Lure/Bait used: Z-mans 5" new penny paddle tail
Comments: Okay I know this won't be the biggest fish but it was my first snapper on a soft bait and a PB all in one, so pretty stoked with it!
Attachments
FishPB.jpg
FishPB.jpg (86.51 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
PBfishmeasure.jpg
PBfishmeasure.jpg (256.27 KiB) Viewed 2029 times
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
ZMU3121 'fishingrev'

crabman
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???
Location: Taranaki

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:14 pm

Name / Username of Angler:Crabman
Fish Type:Naki classic Snapper (26lb) :rock:
Length:Longer than the kitchen bench used to fillet it on :x (approx 90cm)
Date/Time of Capture:about 1300 on 6-1-13
Location of Capture:Ohawe beach
Type of Lure/Bait used:Kahawai, home tied gurnard dropper rig with H&F circle hooks (cost approx $1)
Comments: (optional)
This was my best and only bigger fish caught all day, It was also on my last bait of the day after cubing up approx .5kg of small pillies and throwing them overboard, then for some reason this big boy decided to take some kahawai cubes which had been dried up in the sun for at least 1.5hours.
Gave a very good account of itself on my penn 320gt overhead and needed a lot of thumbing on the spool to control in approx 8-9m of water.
DSCF4936.JPG

User avatar
Rusty
Posts: 3606
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:48 pm
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Profisha 575
VHF Call Sign: ZMW2773
Location: St Lukes Auckland
Contact:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:43 pm

nice work (great photo)

expensive rig :lol:
Everyone is a genius.

But if you judge a fish
on its ability to climb a tree.
it will live its whole life believing it is stupid.

User avatar
awondering
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:47 am
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884
Location: Auckland
Contact:

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Nice fish mate... :y:

User avatar
fishingrev
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3121
Location: Central Auckland

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:07 pm

Wow crabman, congratulations mate, that is an amazing fish!
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
ZMU3121 'fishingrev'

User avatar
Hainesy
Moderator
Posts: 8265
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:20 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196
Location: West Harbour

Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 pm

sweet !! :y: ......but my money is on the shark winning this month :lol: ;) ;)
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Image
Image

User avatar
fishingrev
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:46 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3121
Location: Central Auckland

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:05 am

crabman wrote:Name / Username of Angler:Crabman
Fish Type:Naki classic Snapper (26lb) :rock:
Length:Longer than the kitchen bench used to fillet it on :x (approx 90cm)
Date/Time of Capture:about 1300 on 6-1-13
Location of Capture:Ohawe beach
Type of Lure/Bait used:Kahawai, home tied gurnard dropper rig with H&F circle hooks (cost approx $1)
Comments: (optional)
This was my best and only bigger fish caught all day, It was also on my last bait of the day after cubing up approx .5kg of small pillies and throwing them overboard, then for some reason this big boy decided to take some kahawai cubes which had been dried up in the sun for at least 1.5hours.
Gave a very good account of itself on my penn 320gt overhead and needed a lot of thumbing on the spool to control in approx 8-9m of water.
DSCF4936.JPG
Just looking at your photo again.....it does not look like it will go in your chilly bin....where'd you put it for the trip home? Did you have to tow the beast :lol: :rofl:
Viking Profish 440 Evo IV
ZMU3121 'fishingrev'

crabman
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:14 pm
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 440
VHF Call Sign: ???
Location: Taranaki

Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I didnt need to worry about putting it in the chillybin as we were literely minutes away from calling it quits for the day so I just put it into the front cover on the 440 (which was a tight squeeze) and headed in. On arrival I spoke to one of the local boaties about if they had scales in the boat shed. "yeah we do mate, but we dont put anything under 20lb on em" was his answer.
Soon made the expression on his face change when I showed him :rofl:

User avatar
Hairy Little Dwarf
Moderator
Posts: 6979
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:29 pm

crabman wrote:Soon made the expression on his face change when I showed him :rofl:
I love thumbing the nose at boaties when they see what I've caught on my "toy canoe" :lol:
Image
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Post Reply

Return to “Online Fishing Competition - Sponsored by K-Labs and Top Catch Whangarei”

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest