How Do You Release a Tangled Drogue ??

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
arpie
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: Sport

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 pm

That exact thing happened to me during the Viking Invitational & I was heading out to sea!! The line had twisted really badly & it was caught at the rear of the yak, so I didn't have a chance in hell of fixing it!!

I tried radioing Shelley & Stuart to help me but I had unknowingly knocked the radio off channel, so they weren't hearing me!

Eventually a fellow paddler (who may recognise himself below) came to my aid, after I yelled for his assistance! :) Many thanks!!
PA050149.jpg
PA050149.jpg (159.35 KiB) Viewed 433 times
I now know the importance of that release clip - and the tag must be near the seat, so you can still pull it! :o

cheers

Roberta
Adventure before Dementia!

<'))))<

glint
Kayak Model: 6m ?
VHF Call Sign: zmz6495

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:I only run off the bow, so no issues here :lol:
x2 I always set off the bow with a long enough line that I can paddle up to it so it ends up beside me.
SOF 6mt kayak

lenzman
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:46 am

Limitless it can happen to any rig with a rudder in certain circumstances :P. It happened in my stealth, it's happened in my 4.3 but now I just raise the rudder if I'm running the drogue from the back. It didn't happen in my PF 400 but that's because I didn't have a rudder, but I know of others that have. Thats why I use a quick release clip at the yak right by my hip. ;)
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

• Information