Roof Racks

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
axer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: P13

Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:29 pm

Hey Guys

Just wondering what is the better brand of roof racks to use?
I was thinking prorack ?
anyone got any good nz and cheaper than Repco and Super Cheap websites to get them off ??

Cheers

axer

SpidersWeb

Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:46 pm

I just got a Prorack installed, just the cheap one with square bars, had it bolted in to the roof rather than going with the clip on style - makes me nervous. Works fine, two kayaks no problem.

Some crap I learned quickly was:
- for long kayaks always strap front and back as well as the sides, otherwise they flop about pretty bad on the bumps
- make sure the release lever of the tiedowns can't accidently be pressed by anything on the roof :$
- keep an eye on them and go slower than normal
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Nemo

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:39 am

After spending $3000 getting half the roof replaced on my car, be wary of salt water dripping and causing rust. Make sure there is no where it can get trapped or can sit.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

SpidersWeb

Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:50 am

Good point, I could see that happening. For me I was going to grab my CRC SoftSeal, lift up the rubber covers around my mounts, and spray the crap out of it. Did the same for the windscreen/rear window.

As for the websites query, I'd say you're better off going to an installer, and you get the bonus of better warranty support and reassurance. I think it came to something like $450 for me, installed in about an hour - not cheap, but I know they wont fall off and if I have any issues I'll just drive on in and make a :@ face.

Edit: oh and I had mine installed on a rangi old Bluebird, car in my avatar was a single kayak on a $45 soft rack
Viking Profish 400 Lite
Viking Nemo

TwoSpoons
Kayak Make: CLC boats
Kayak Model: Sea Island Sport
VHF Call Sign: ZMW5652

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:39 am

I went with the prorack Wispbar. Bolted on. Bought from Supercheap online - that was the cheapest I found.
Electronics : its still magic, even when you know how its done.
ZMW5652

Fish'N'Snork
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder
VHF Call Sign: The Yak ZMW2544

Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:56 am

I got ACTIVATE ROOF RACKS - FOR SIDE RAIL CARS - PREMIUM ( http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 562011.htm ) On TM From MrG's for My Toyota Carib. Bloody brilliant. Fitting them to the Carib's overhead rails was piss easy. They have round edges, so are quiet, and are lockable. They can take fittings from other bands and @ $170, way cheap than even all the other bands square racks :y: Highly Recommend Them.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......
The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke.

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid").

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure).

murf
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3 Ultra

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:24 am

Thanks FNS, been looking at these, need the bigger ones for my Mitsi Challenger I think, had my eyes peeled for coupla weeks for someone who already had them.

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:49 am

murf wrote:Thanks FNS, been looking at these, need the bigger ones for my Mitsi Challenger I think, had my eyes peeled for coupla weeks for someone who already had them.
Sweet as. Only come in one length as far as I know. But ring MrG's to find out:
Auto One Manurewa
Trading As Mr G's Auto One
Geoff Glover
4/7 McAnnalley Street
PO Box 147 Takanini, 2245
09 2678767
09 2669728
autoonerewa@xtra.co.nz
Skype ID: autoonerewa
They where pretty good to deal with. Only thing that I could see as possible problem was that the rails appear to be slightly lighter grade than the Pro-racks, but have found them quite strong enough for the Yak (and my Marauder is fair heavy for SOT). Have shifted house with all sorts of stuff strap to the rails with no problems. Worse came to worse I could put 2 pair of these on and still be cheaper than Pro-rack and still be able to use their fittings.
Less Negativity And More Positive Encouragement Makes For A Better Life For All.

New Zealand......

MikeAqua
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:08 pm

We have a Rhino Rack system on the Pajero.

Full length channel fixed on the roof, which the aero bars fasten into. You can slide them to any position on the roof you want, or you could add more bars if you wanted to.

The bars also have a sliding track that you fix the attachments into.

We have double j-cradles, and have transported yaks on this set up from Nelson to Northland return no problem. Great system.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:39 pm

sk8e8 wrote:After spending $3000 getting half the roof replaced on my car
My whole car's not worth $3000 :( Which is why I'm happy to car-top it :y:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Fish'N'Snork

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:
sk8e8 wrote:After spending $3000 getting half the roof replaced on my car
My whole car's not worth $3000 :( Which is why I'm happy to car-top it :y:
LOL Ya should have see the scratches up and down my old $1000 Toyota Visa :lol: Would just drag the Yak up on the roof and strap it down. Roof would Buckle down. Then I'd pull the Yak off, and pop the roof back up again :lol: Looking after the Carib a bit better cause I splashed out nearly $5K on it :whew: Got love Norf Cars :rock: No Yuppy Dorkland "Tractor" for me :P

New Zealand......

• Information