Self rescue fishing kayak guide – with EAKFC

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Jason Milne
Kayak Make: Viking Kayaks
Kayak Model: Reload, GT, 400

Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Hey guys & girls,, here is the post on my blog from the pool rescue session with the EAKFC...skip straight to the video below if you prefer not to read through, where you will see the footage taken on the night (I have added some footage from other trips in some cases) and a bit of SOT SUP action with Jeff ... impressive given his height!! I really enjoyed being involved with this and look forward to joining in again for a session in the ocean come summer...

In this session I join the members of local, NZ East Auckland Kayak Fishing Club (EAKFC), in the pool for some SoT kayak self-rescue practise. Although they have been kayak fishing for some time, for many of the member’s this is the first time they have attempted trying to get back on their kayaks. I commend the club committee and for being proactive with safety in organising this session. The pool is a great place to practise before heading to the ocean for a practice with your usual fishing gear
“ wow! it’s not as easy as it looks on you tube! I am so glad I did this pool session !”
EAKFC member after trying to get back on his kayak (in a warm pool with no gear on his kayak).

Safety on water is paramount and as the sport of kayak fishing continues to grow, kayak fishermen are coming to the sport with kayak experience spread out from none to very experienced sea kayakers…for the large majority it is little or no experience. Opportunities like this are important to gain confidence and skills…that said I highly recommend doing an official full course with a reputable organisation, you will gain invaluable fundamental skills. Early in my paddling took a course and can’t speak highly enough how important that course was to impart knowledge and confidence through into my paddling today.

At the pool we had a variety of kayak models on hand to trial which was ideal because each had its own strengths and weaknesses…for example the wider, heavier kayaks with poor side handles (or none) were harder to flip back over in one technique than the lighter narrower kayaks. High centre consoles proved a problem when getting your body position wrong upon entry, putting the paddler in a top heavy position risking another capsize. The paddle float rescue proved essential for a few members to get the feel for re-entering efficiently, they then removed the float and got back in with confidence.

Special mention: to Jo & Jeff for each winning a RAILBLAZA rod holder II. Jeff won his by proving he could SUP the Barracuda fish pro the full length of the pool (Jeff is 6ft.3+ ) & Jo for being the first in the water to practise and the last out of the water. Thanks to RAILBLAZA for offering the prizes. Thanks also to Dave from Fergs Kayaks Wellington for the loan of the Harmony Paddle Floats…

Techniques demonstrated in the pool and covered in the video as follows… Note this is a quick basic outline for the pool session… in a session with an instructor out in the ocean safety is covered in greater detail…like locate your paddle, identify the dangers ( rocks, tackle, gaffs etc…), …the list is too long to cover here.

Righting capsized kayak

Option 1 - reach under, take hold of each handle and, using a push pull action, right the kayak. Some of the kayaks did not have adequate handles, were too heavy (even without fishing gear) or were too wide for this method to be effective.
Option 2 – kick yourself onto the capsized kayak reach the other side and pulling back letting your body weight do the work. The trick here with the wider kayaks is not to tackle it from the widest point of the kayak.

Getting back on – his is covered best in detail on the video but if you have any questions please ask and I will do my best to clarify

Un assisted
Paddle float assisted
Paddle float and sling/stirrup assisted

Attachments
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session - Copy.JPG
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (3).JPG
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (11).JPG
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (11).JPG (109.13 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (2).JPG
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (12).JPG
Kayak fishing club self rescue pool session (13).JPG
Jason
jason@paddleguy.com
http://www.paddleguy.com
[http://www.youtube.com/user/paddleguyjas]
brands commercially associated with include Viking Kayaks, Railblaza & C-Tug

Fletcher
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9362

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Nice work Jason, video turned out very good :y:
Yak PBs. | Snapper: 20.7lb | Trevally: 11lb | Kingfish: 13kg | Brown Trout: 5.5lb | Albacore Tuna: 4.6kg | John Dory: 2.0lb | Blue Cod: 34cm | Skipjack Tuna: 4.4lb | Eagle Ray: 10kgish | Red Snapper: 4.1lb | Grandfather Hapuka: 7.1lb | Pigfish: 3.7lb |

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:33 pm

Nice one Jase :rock:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:36 pm

Good video mate good info...

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:48 pm

Very good mate !!..well done and very informative !
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

RCB
Kayak Model: Profish400 Lite

Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:33 pm

A really good idea :y:
Had fun testing the limits of the various kayaks and my PFD

Sea trials in full gear should be an interesting one :sweat:

lenzman

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Great stuff Jason one of the best self rescue vids I have seen showing a variety of methods :y:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

Jamie D
Kayak Make: Profisha 525
Kayak Model: Stealth
VHF Call Sign: Warpig

Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Has anyone else done a self rescue drill and thought that their pfd actually became a liability ? As in catches on the side of the kayak and spoils your momentum when remounting ?

Paul in NZ
Kayak Make: Ocean
Kayak Model: Scupper pro - scrambler XT

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Prowlin wrote:Has anyone else done a self rescue drill and thought that their pfd actually became a liability ? As in catches on the side of the kayak and spoils your momentum when remounting ?
Vicki found her, erm, womanly charms were also a sticky point.... But yes, its a thing to consider...

GBC
Kayak Make: ok
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra 4.3

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

Jason, looks a lot warmer in the pool than the day you tryed it at Fergs on that cold Wgtn day in the harbour :devil: :devil:
Alcohol doesnt solve any problems But ..... neither does Milk

Jason Milne
Kayak Model: Reload, GT, 400

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 pm

GBC wrote:Jason, looks a lot warmer in the pool than the day you tryed it at Fergs on that cold Wgtn day in the harbour :devil: :devil:

:D funny you should mention that... Dave from Fergs asked me when I was comming down next so he could plan something similar...he promised better weather... I politely declined :whew: :rofl: ... however he has been getting a few crayfish lately, if he was offering to share his spot I might reconsider :y:
Jason
jason@paddleguy.com
http://www.paddleguy.com
[http://www.youtube.com/user/paddleguyjas]
brands commercially associated with include Viking Kayaks, Railblaza & C-Tug

Viking Kayaks NZ

Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 pm

Jeff the wave walker
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: W500
VHF Call Sign: zmw9750

Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 pm

I had an experience i would rather forget. Got tipped out and due to waves and lots of things tied to kayak, rods anchor rope paddle, could not bet back on board. went to use my cobra water proof radio, it had died. Took me 3 hours to get back to shore. Bordering on hypothermic. Now have paddle float and Uniden MHS125 waterproof floating radio.
Did "Live Fire" test 2 km offshore with a mate nearby. Kayak fully loaded as per previous situation and tipped myself out. Used the paddle float and got back on board. Left it inflated and set up while sorted all ropes and things. Worked a treat, now never go out without it. Gave the radio a dunk test down to a metre to make sure it was waterproof. Feel a lot more confident I can deal with most situations now. :clap: :y:
When it comes to fishing I set a low standard and fail to achieve it, makes life easier.
ZMW9750

beerbaron
Kayak Make: Old town
Kayak Model: Urban camo

Sat May 25, 2013 9:24 pm

Thanks Jason for the tips :beer:
Old Town saloon whiskey swiring electric vibration fish slaying apparatus!

• Information