Orere Point yesterday 20th August

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
sk8e8
Kayak Make: Extreme
Kayak Model: Game King

Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 am

Patch wrote:
awondering wrote:I noticed sea anchors be deployed in a manner that set the kayakers with their backs to the sea, and as I said in the beginning of this,
You weren't the only one to notice that - all five/six that were still present when I arrived were positioned so - bloody stupid imo I guess some people don't like drifting backwards.

Glad to see some of you are starting to seriously think about the wetsuit, hopefully no-one else has to be rescued before more people start wearing them.
No need to start calling people stupid. I almost always fish with my drogue out the back, as I like casting forward in front of my drift. Never even been close to having a problem.

Also I started out wearing a wetsuit (I also surf alot), but generally wouldn't wear it on the kayak again. Wetsuits are great when IN the water, but horrible when semi-dry.

So, bloody stupid I may be, but I'm going to keep drifting forward wearing my semi-dry pants and top.
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Extreme 605
Yamaha FXHO * Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

The Fish Whisperer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:15 am

"You weren't the only one to notice that - all five/six that were still present when I arrived were positioned so - bloody stupid imo I guess some people don't like drifting backwards."

Cant see anything wrong with drifting forwards either, have always done it and always will.
Not 'stupid' just like casting forward and retrieving. Catch more fish that way. TFW

awondering
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 am

It was a southerly wind against incoming tide...I was casting forward of my drift...which means i was casting forward and out to the side of the sea anchor... the tide dominated the wind... which was pulling me down the firth... A :^)

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 am

mmm..I'm a bit like Sk8e8....I tend to have the drogue out the back as I like to cast forward and move up on the drift.....but in saying that, I can see the logic in doing the opposite way except when I've tried it I always ended getting myslef "tangled up"......figuratively, not literally !
Last edited by Hainesy on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:26 am

sk8e8 wrote: So, bloody stupid I may be, but I'm going to keep drifting forward wearing my semi-dry pants and top.
TFW & Sk8e8 are onto it :y:
and the 6 others this is the best way to fish on the drift and you don't spook everything drifting over them first :y:
Kayaks generally have pointy bits both ends and ride nicely to drogue out back.
Perhaps some are uncomfortable having to watch their backs :wasntme:

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:26 am

This one got a hammering aye boys :y: Whos keen to go fishing?

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

awondering

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:39 am

paddlesnap wrote:
sk8e8 wrote: So, bloody stupid I may be, but I'm going to keep drifting forward wearing my semi-dry pants and top.
TFW & Sk8e8 are onto it :y:
and the 6 others this is the best way to fish on the drift and you don't spook everything drifting over them first :y:
Kayaks generally have pointy bits both ends and ride nicely to drogue out back.
Perhaps some are uncomfortable having to watch their backs :wasntme:
Sorry PS got to disagree with you on this one mate...This thread came from a situation, and to me dictated that due to the conditions safest practice was to face a not so nice sea...
I am not drifting over the fish first, I am fishing/casting forward and out of the bow and that is the way I am drifting, with drogue in front of me… I am at a loss to see how I am spooking anything? As for having your back to a not so friendly sea, come on Paddlesnap surely your not advocating that as best practice? I like other Kayakers in here want to see what’s coming, and that makes me feel a more comfortable and surely its common sense!!! As it gives you time to react!!! Or am I just completely off the rails with this?

awondering

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:This one got a hammering aye boys :y: Whos keen to go fishing?
Yep i am going fishing Thursday morning mate.. Orere Point... You keen Brad?

WaikatoYakka
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:42 am

Great thread guys and thanks for sharing.
For me it re-iterates the need for awareness, I've fished in 3+ metre swells of Raglan and the notoriously rough trip to Matai bay and having survived those completely unscathed I guess you can get a bit complacent.
I always fish forward with drogue out the back and have had one or 2 close calls when I've deployed the drogue in motion to get it 'puffed up' with the tail end of the running rig in the wrong place.
A (usually) simple task such as bagging a fish needs a lot more attention in undesirable conditions, need eyes in the back of your head I guess?
I always make a point of practicing re-entry 1-2 times a year and with each new yak, the theory behind it is the same but they respond differently, the handle that used to be there on the last yak isn't fitted in the same position on this one and now with (xyz) fitted there can I launch myself onto the deck if I need to?
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

kiwiladbrad

Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:09 pm

awondering wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:This one got a hammering aye boys :y: Whos keen to go fishing?
Yep i am going fishing Thursday morning mate.. Orere Point... You keen Brad?
Yeah ok - I've had an unusually good month in sales so bugger it why not. My issue is that I would probably get there when you are leaving with all the fish... about 9am?

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:44 pm

sk8e8 wrote:
Patch wrote:
awondering wrote:I noticed sea anchors be deployed in a manner that set the kayakers with their backs to the sea, and as I said in the beginning of this,
You weren't the only one to notice that - all five/six that were still present when I arrived were positioned so - bloody stupid imo I guess some people don't like drifting backwards.

Glad to see some of you are starting to seriously think about the wetsuit, hopefully no-one else has to be rescued before more people start wearing them.
No need to start calling people stupid. I almost always fish with my drogue out the back, as I like casting forward in front of my drift. Never even been close to having a problem.

Also I started out wearing a wetsuit (I also surf alot), but generally wouldn't wear it on the kayak again. Wetsuits are great when IN the water, but horrible when semi-dry.

So, bloody stupid I may be, but I'm going to keep drifting forward wearing my semi-dry pants and top.
Yeah totally agree with you Bryce , i started out with a wetsuit and hated it , my Rasdex pants are awesome along with a paddle jacket .
As for the drifting with the chute behind me , ive never had a problem with it , on really knarley swells i take extra care and on the few occasions i have faced the swells i didnt like it . But in saying that if you are worried and uncomfortable about the swells behind you then facing them is a good idea , just not for me .

Pope
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7

Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:52 am

Hi Hainsey

You have my support for organising some training/exercise.

I use an icebox on my ultra and love the convenience both on the water and transporting fish home. Before I place judgement on the how the icebox performs in a turtle, I would like to put it to the test and see for myself.

I did have a turtle during surf landing a few weeks back and with the kayak upside down for about 1 minute, 2-3 litres entered through the closed lid. I fish with the lid secured, but with my long arms, I don’t have any issue reaching the lock. My action does get compromised with larger fish (over 9lb) and that may be the time when a turtle could happen.

I’m happy for others to try my kayak with the icebox attached to see how it might handle when upturned.

Hainesy
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:21 am

Thanks Guys....

Just an update, I do have something in progress but its going to take a few weeks.....

cheers
Hainesy
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

skiddy
Kayak Model: Prowler Elite 4.5

Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:24 am

Kingfish killer wrote: As for the drifting with the chute behind me , ive never had a problem with it , on really knarley swells i take extra care and on the few occasions i have faced the swells i didnt like it . But in saying that if you are worried and uncomfortable about the swells behind you then facing them is a good idea , just not for me .
Likewise I fish with the chute behind me. I'm over 2m tall so my centre of gravity is a bit higher than most. In conditions like Orere on Saturday I chuck a leg over the side as it makes a huge difference to my stability. I started doing this after a quick one-two from a couple of waves at Whatuwhiwhi had me over the side. Does anyone else do this?

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:19 pm

Sorry guys been busy with my last week at my old job...

Thanks Hainesy for putting your hand up for this one :y: I'm here if you need me too

When fishing in big breaking seas (big for me is 2m+) then I fish with my bow pointing into the wave as I like to see what is about to hit me...

I've turtled with my (closed) icebox and don't remember it being an issue to turn over but like Pope said lets test it...

Like the paddler involved we simply need to learn from his experiences and not let this put anyone off, nor is there a need to start pointing fingers at people...

Lets all get off our kayaks and see what works for each of us...

Personally I learnt my re-entry technique in the summer on a naked yak, just wearing shorts and a PFD, once you have the technique then step it up with all the gear and tackle, you'll soon notice how much harder it is...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

kiwiladbrad

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:08 pm

small birdie told me the he didnt have a hard pod but a insulated bag such as a Tagit style bag. Probably changes a few thoughts on things me's thinking

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:22 pm

"...and the fish box were unlocked " according to TFW who seems to be in the loop.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

awondering

Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:59 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:small birdie told me the he didnt have a hard pod but a insulated bag such as a Tagit style bag. Probably changes a few thoughts on things me's thinking
not what I saw !

awondering

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:00 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:small birdie told me the he didnt have a hard pod but a insulated bag such as a Tagit style bag. Probably changes a few thoughts on things me's thinking
edited

The Fish Whisperer

Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:20 am

Nah Brad he had the ice box.

• Information