Orere Point yesterday 20th August

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Inshra
Kayak Make: Wavewalk
Kayak Model: T
VHF Call Sign: smiles

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:19 pm

A very interesting read.

I myself had a very scary weekend.

When I launched from ohope the waves where around 1-2mts, around 100 people surfing, good indication of the waves. The swell in the ocean was around 3mts but big and smooth, wind was around 10-15km/h, quite minimal really.

I went out in a kayak that was not my usual kayak (don't ask why) this was a borrowed SiK. I had no bib so I could get the fish & gear around me. I was wearing swimming shorts and a tshirt, with a lifejacket. Anchored head on to the swell(usually I'm side on in my yak).So here I am about 1km off the shore of west end ohope beach. Catching a decent array of fish kahawai, snapper, jack mackerel, when I get this insane bite, acting like a kingfish. Turns out its two 0.7mt kahawai, on the same rig.
These little beauties go round and around and around my anchor rope, 8 times infact, so I had to pull the anchor in the get them in. As I do this, I end over. Now this was 6pm, I was alone, there were no other kayakers/boaties/anyone. I had no cellphone, no VHF, no EPIRB. The kayak half filled with water, I couldn't sit in it, but I was able to upend it. I had been gutting fish for berley (shark alert!) So I was LUCKY that I use a bait bucket for my bonito/mullet bait, and promptly emptied the bait into the ocean, and spent the next 3 or so minutes bucketing the water out. At this stage there was less than 2lt of water in the yak and I was able to head back to shore.

By the time I was approaching the shore it was 7pm, and a 2mt wave dumped me over once again, and filled the entire yak. I was still alone, no one around, and in 3-4mt of water. The yak had some bouyancy thank god, but was below surface level. I had to swim behind it and push it in, all the while being slammed by these waves. I lost a large amount of gear but amazingly not my rods, and not my fish(well, I lost 3 fish.. one was a snapper =(.

Well, I tell you what I was one shaken up fisherman when I arrived home. Also the bag containing the car keys drifted off as I was upturned so I did my best freestyle to catch it and retrieve it.

This has taught me many lessons. I hope that whoever reads this also considers the danger I placed myself in, and possibly the same danger you yourselves get in, whether you think the situation your in is dangerous or not and regardless of hatches/Sit on tops/ Tying gear down. The immediate dangers are quite obvious, no communication, no companions, quick reactions in rough conditions causing instability, poor choice of days to fish, as I knew it was rough. The fish probably didnt help the situation, atleast I got to bring them home and tell the tale.

No scratch that, atleast I got to go home.

No flames please, I learnt my lesson.
Next time:
-my yak, no trialing for friends.
-good weather? who cares. If its rough, I'm not gonna be tough
-tie everything in, no matter what or how I'm fishing
-dont fish alone
-take communication
-let someone know what time I'm going to be home, so if I'm not...

You probably all know these rules.

However there has been one person from Ohope that disappeared never to be seen again, a newbie kayak fisherman.

These a very scary vessels, for around $600 minimum you can purchase yourself a death trap, with no training and no real understanding of the risks.

But what can be done about this? I'm certainly not going to pay to go on a course, and I'm an extremely competent and competitive level SiKer in white water rapids, so until sunday, I never doubted them. Thank god my yak is a catameran, makes going back out again a bit more bearable.

Just gotta get back on that horse again now...

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:07 am

Mate, I think you're a VERY lucky man !!...no flames from me, but I sincerely hope, and it definitely sounds like you've learnt your lesson...and hopefully the rest of us can learn from your lucky escape as well !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

oldwetfish
Kayak Make: Hobie
Kayak Model: TI
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4324

Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:31 am

No flames from here either.
I agree with H luck smiled on you.

There were a number of people lately that haven't been so lucky.

In the sport we partake in, it is all risk.
We mitigate this risk by using the appropriate safety equipment, and making sure we have the right gear for the conditions.

Accidents are usually a cascade of wrong decisions leading to tragedy.

Advice: making the right conditions starts on shore, and to alter an anology from paragliding..
It is better to be onshore, wishing about going out, than going out in bad conditions and wishing you were onshore

kiwiladbrad
Kayak Make: Profish 400 Lite
Kayak Model: Predator

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:11 am

no mate... someones gotta say it... you made so many silly decisions that most wouldnt have even made half of them - any more "flame" than that and I wouldnt know where to start?

Stoked you made it home dude! :y:

Proud paddler of a Viking Profish 400

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:57 am

Inshra wrote:The immediate dangers are quite obvious, no communication, no companions, quick reactions in rough conditions causing instability, poor choice of days to fish, as I knew it was rough.
I was alone, there were no other kayakers/boaties/anyone. I had no cellphone, no VHF, no EPIRB.
I can’t quite get my head around this…is it a confession to being stupid ? :x

kiwiladbrad

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:10 am

awondering wrote:
Inshra wrote:The immediate dangers are quite obvious, no communication, no companions, quick reactions in rough conditions causing instability, poor choice of days to fish, as I knew it was rough.
I was alone, there were no other kayakers/boaties/anyone. I had no cellphone, no VHF, no EPIRB.
Havent seen a trip report from you awondering in at least a week???

awondering

Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:16 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:
awondering wrote:
Havent seen a trip report from you awondering in at least a week???

To busy catching to write mate... ;) everythings a little manic @ the mo :y:

kiwiladbrad

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:07 am

good man... Im gonna try Sat morning for a fish and will prob try that spot you call 'homo fishing grounds' - should be chipper.

awondering

Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:14 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:good man... Im gonna try Sat morning for a fish and will prob try that spot you call 'homo fishing grounds' - should be chipper.
wasnt homo it was "Gay"... be sure to wear your hat... the one you had at cuvier :lol:

FishFush
Kayak Make: Cobra
Kayak Model: Marauder

Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:14 pm

An eye opener and riveting reading, for those that have shared their stories, thank you, it takes nuts to admit that you have made a mistake or two and even bigger ones to post it publicly on a forum. Well done and glad that you are still with us.
I think that a lot has been learned by many readers of this post and I know that I have certainly become more aware of the safety side of things as I am normally a lone wolf when fishing. I don't stray too far from the shore line, but having said that, I found myself in a bit of a test on Labour Monday.

I headed out for a fish at NN. on the water at 7.30 (was supposed to be at 06:00, but didn't pack the yak seat and had to go back home to collect it). I also had not been to NN for quite some time.
I paddled out to the right and towards No.9 bouy and was planning to drift back towards No.7 on the outgoing tide. this was an easy do as there was little or no wind. I drifted back to No. 7 and was getting nothing on the lines. I then had a change of plans, being such a beautiful morning, I headed across the channel to Rangi. (this was a first for me).
Still no fish or even bites and thought to do one more drift on the NN side of the channel before calling it.
Now by this time a southerly had picked up and together with the running tide, I found myself paddling across the current back towards NN. I think I must have been going hard for a least an hour and then ended up just on the southern end of Takapuna beach.
By the time that I had made my way back to the launch pad an Narrowneck, I was knackered.

Yes. I have learned from this experience. Yes I have learned from this thread also.
I always lodge a Trip plan with my other half when I leave home, and I write a note with destinations and times on the fridge before leaving. :y: This I have done since I began yak fishing.
I always check the weather the night before and again just before leaving home to see how the weather has changed. :y:
I have never in the past (ever) changed my trip plan while on the water. (until this trip). :n:
As I had not crossed the channel before this, I did not realise the strength of the current and together with the wind, I underestimated the situation and conditions. :headbang:
I changed my plans without advising my wife (land contact). :n: If something had happened, SAR would have been searching the wrong areas.
I always carry a waterproof phone; signal flares and goes without saying wear my PFD(will not launch without it) and in cooler weather I wear a full wetsuit and booties too.
I have not yet forked out on a VHF, but plan to before Xmas, unless Santa has a plan.

I suppose you can say, I got my a$$ kicked out there and have taken this all in quite deeply. I also got my A$$ kicked when I discussed the trip with the missus. :sweat:

Inshra

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:54 pm

kiwiladbrad wrote:no mate... someones gotta say it... you made so many silly decisions that most wouldnt have even made half of them - any more "flame" than that and I wouldnt know where to start?

Yeah stupid I know mate and fair comment.

But how many people buy a yak and a life jacket and think sweet I'm ready to go?

According to the report on the deaths of the people in gisborne, 10,000 yaks are sold a year. Now I'm a salesperson of such kayaks. Such a silly thing to do when I sell them, but also important as I can advise my customers, and also prep my yak for such situations. The fact of the matter is, the fish don't mind the conditions, which is what drives us all out there. I have no balls for telling such a story, I feel like an idiot and I'm quite scared to return to my beloved sport, but I must as it is my only current hobby, and what a hobby it is.

It has to be said, 10,000 yaks sold a year, yet I'm sure this site gets less than 100 new members a year. Maybe a news story of such a scare is enough to drive people to think about what they're doing.

Yes they're cheaper than boats, yes they're more physical for people that need exercise, but how dangerous are they really?

I'll continue, but maybe not this weekend.

kiwiladbrad

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Inshra wrote:
kiwiladbrad wrote:no mate... someones gotta say it... you made so many silly decisions that most wouldnt have even made half of them - any more "flame" than that and I wouldnt know where to start?

But how many people buy a yak and a life jacket and think sweet I'm ready to go?

According to the report on the deaths of the people in gisborne, 10,000 yaks are sold a year. Now I'm a salesperson of such kayaks. Such a silly thing to do when I sell them, but also important as I can advise my customers, and also prep my yak for such situations. The fact of the matter is, the fish don't mind the conditions, which is what drives us all out there. I have no balls for telling such a story, I feel like an idiot and I'm quite scared to return to my beloved sport, but I must as it is my only current hobby, and what a hobby it is.

It has to be said, 10,000 yaks sold a year, yet I'm sure this site gets less than 100 new members a year. Maybe a news story of such a scare is enough to drive people to think about what they're doing.

Yes they're cheaper than boats, yes they're more physical for people that need exercise, but how dangerous are they really?

Dude - you better pick up ya game bro cos next time Im in Whakas/Ohope - your taking me fishing (but I will be bringing my braided tow rope, vhf, double super duper life jacket, flares, water wings borrowed from KC, rubber chicken and direct line to coastguard) :lol:

Inshra

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:07 am

kiwiladbrad wrote:
Inshra wrote:

Dude - you better pick up ya game bro cos next time Im in Whakas/Ohope - your taking me fishing (but I will be bringing my braided tow rope, vhf, double super duper life jacket, flares, water wings borrowed from KC, rubber chicken and direct line to coastguard) :lol:

Hahaha

IFISHO
Kayak Make: OCEAN KAYAK
Kayak Model: CARBO
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9299

Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:24 pm

awondering wrote:
Hainesy wrote:
Now I've stuck my neck out, do I have any support !!!
Yes A :^)
yes im keen as for the safety course i have a double and we havent fallen out yet but if we did i would not know what to do. maybe we should hire out a wave pool to make it a safe but realistic scenario .
keen as. :rock:

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:13 pm

Being me, I've done some water safety courses for kayaking. Funnily enough, still not learned to roll them though. Not sure it's actually possible on a SOT ? Paddle Snap???

I probably go overboard, [@ the slightest wobble! :P ] with safety "stuff". Detailed trip plan, where the car is parked, reg' trailer reg'. Boat name/call sign cell number, that I've got a PLIB {?} and of course, the area I'm fishing in.
Now with Operators license for the VHF, can call up local coast guard for a chin wag and let them know I'm in the area :)

More than this? Probably but really? After checking the weather, if it's doubtful, I stay home and abuse all for lack of fishing time.

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:35 am

Inshra wrote:

I think the main issue with Kayaks is with the modern fisherman, pushed along by people like Matt Watson etc that like to push the envelope and be seen out at ridiculous distances makes it seem that if he can we can... people then failing to understand the 3 support boats he has at his side.

There are people out there with amazing skills in kayaks with amazing fitness levels. problem is that 90% of people in a kayak aren't in human and they underestimate the risks involved especially with wind and tide combined. Kayakers are not alone in this as the average boat user also has little understanding of the risks involved hence why so many get in trouble so its not so much a case of selling death traps but more a case of people need educating.

It still amazes me how many people we see out in kayaks without a life jacket on. and talking to regulars that reckon they store fish in there hulls (meaning they open up the one thing thats stopping the air getting out if they tip)

Kudos for sharing your story though
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Lister
Kayak Make: Tahe & Viking
Kayak Model: Wind 585 & 440 pf
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 4211

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:28 am

Good reply MM. And agree 100 %. As stated, done a couple courses but the biggest thing is, you have to know your limitations. And stay within them.

Probably why I feel "safer" having VHF operators, not so afraid of calling for help if I do get into trouble than when I was just carrying the radio. Or is that just me?

I like technology. I especially like to hit it with a big stick!!!!

We don't hate the fat B*tch. We just can't find anything about her to not dislike

ZMW4211. Proud paddler of PF440

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Nah think its a confidence thing a little like driving past a cop when you have no licence apposed to when you do. The thing with the radio law is its designed to stop kids and others using the radios outside of there intended use. so the licence tends to limit the amount of retards clogging up channels to tell there farmer mate that his cows are out and his missus was good last night, when she left she made his bed :D. Problem with that is it then stops people using them in need because there worried there not supposed to be using it. Coast guard would rather rescue a live person than a dead body though.
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

lenzman
Kayak Model: Reload

Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:45 pm

madmike wrote:Nah think its a confidence thing a little like driving past a cop when you have no licence apposed to when you do. The thing with the radio law is its designed to stop kids and others using the radios outside of there intended use. so the licence tends to limit the amount of retards clogging up channels to tell there farmer mate that his cows are out and his missus was good last night, when she left she made his bed :D. Problem with that is it then stops people using them in need because there worried there not supposed to be using it. Coast guard would rather rescue a live person than a dead body though.
I believe that you are allowed to make emergency calls on a vhf set even if you aren't licenced and is the only call you are legally allowed without a ticket. The course costs between $65 and $95 with one course supplier offering a free call sign. Cheap if it means saving yours or someone elses life. :!:
If I'm not fishing I'm taking photographs, if I'm not taking photographs I'm fishing!!

• Information