PLB or not

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Divot
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7595

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:27 am

Hi guys. Just got my first kayak and asking if a PLB is on the must list or settle for a VHF and cell phone. Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:56 am

I carry all three

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:52 am

It depends on budget and where you're most likely to paddle:

1. If on a tight budget and fishing areas with good VHF repeater coverage and plenty of boat traffic then a VHF radio is a good place to start to back up your suitably protected mobile phone.

2. If fishing areas without lots of traffic, especially if there's no repeater coverage to extend the range of a handheld VHF, then I'd prioritise getting a PLB.

A mobile phone with waterproof protection should always be carried, but just like the VHF I encounter lots of areas where coverage isn't good enough for it to be relied on as a sole means of raising the alarm. IMHO, if you can afford it prioritise getting a PLB. With these there's always someone listening out (via satellite) if the brown stuff hits the fan.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

JUMBOZ
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW6161

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:23 am

I have both -handheld vhf and also a plb-vhf is good but don't have much luck with them when fishing behind islands etc so have the plb as a back up - always take it up bush aswell when hunting

MikeAqua
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT-7387

Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 pm

JohnnyR wrote:I carry all three
I carry all three as well. But the cellphone is mainly for convenience.

I think it would be fairly hopeless in real emergency if I'm bobbing around without my kayak.
"No good story begins with a salad"
ZMT-7387
Viking Profish 400Stolen!! Yellow/Black
'Zespri' Viking Espri
Viking 2+1 Stolen!! Orange/yellow with scratch along one side

B0ydie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:36 pm

JUMBOZ wrote:I have both -handheld vhf and also a plb-vhf is good but don't have much luck with them when fishing behind islands etc so have the plb as a back up - always take it up bush aswell when hunting
Like jumboz i use a plb for hunting and kayaking i personally think it is a must have as it has next to no limitations when the brown stuff hits the fan and it is a great bit of piece of mind for the better half

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Profish 400

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:18 pm

I carry a cellphone .... have a vhf radio and a plb. When it comes to safety I think you shouldn't skimp...get the best...when you consider how much we spend on the kayak.... getting set up and other essentials... Safety should be the first in the priority que.... Get one less flashy rod...dam I have officially become my parents :D

mikG
Kayak Make: cobra
Kayak Model: FnD

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:54 am

Id never go out on the kayak without a PLB. I have been pulled out of the water by chopper and it gave me a massive wake up. I think my life is worth the 500 hundy odd it cost to buy a PLB, hell, on a good day I reckon I'm worth twice that!

Bigfella3
VHF Call Sign: VMU4327

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:18 pm

Good call guys, been thinking of getting one myself. Any recommendations or tips on what to buy or to watch out for when buying?

Divot

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Got myself a Icom VHF and RescueME PLB today. All I need now is a waterproof bag for the phone.

yak64

Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Good brands....good investment....hopefully you will never have to test in reality...but great investment in safety and peace of mind :y:

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:38 am

I too carry all three but it's time for a new battery on the PLB, it's either return the McMurdo FastFind for a $280 replacement or just buy a new one, looking at the RescueMe one, anyone had one for a while? Wondering how they have stood up to kayaking/saltwater/etc?
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:29 am

Mental wrote:I too carry all three but it's time for a new battery on the PLB, it's either return the McMurdo FastFind for a $280 replacement or just buy a new one, looking at the RescueMe one, anyone had one for a while? Wondering how they have stood up to kayaking/saltwater/etc?
Hi Mental, I've not had any reports but have had a play with a demo version with cold wet hands (mimicking winter kayaking and being in the water). I found it too small and fiddly to operate and was constantly at risk of dropping it (unfortunately I'm getting arthritis in both my hands). I really like the compact size and light weight, but question whether I personally could operate it in all conditions. Would be worth having a play with a demo unit before purchasing.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:38 am

Limitless wrote:
Mental wrote:I too carry all three but it's time for a new battery on the PLB, it's either return the McMurdo FastFind for a $280 replacement or just buy a new one, looking at the RescueMe one, anyone had one for a while? Wondering how they have stood up to kayaking/saltwater/etc?
Hi Mental, I've not had any reports but have had a play with a demo version with cold wet hands (mimicking winter kayaking and being in the water). I found it too small and fiddly to operate and was constantly at risk of dropping it (unfortunately I'm getting arthritis in both my hands). I really like the compact size and light weight, but question whether I personally could operate it in all conditions. Would be worth having a play with a demo unit before purchasing.
Thanks Stephen that same thought had crossed my mind about being "too small" just for the sake of being small :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

B0ydie
VHF Call Sign: ZMW7673

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 am

I have a kti plb and i find the use of it quitegood with cold fingers the process is very simple and the activate button and test buttons are large enough to easily find them in the dark.
i wear it on my upper arm

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Profish 400

yak64

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:14 pm

I also have a kti branded one and while not the smallest it's still I nice compact size and seems easy to use. It was reasonably priced, bought in Aussie but NZ coded and now NZ registered. I checked with NZ coastguard re specs and coding prior to buying. Longer battery life too I seem to remember.

AndrewRawlingson

Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:24 pm

After a "lost at sea" incident a few years ago, not kayak/fishing-related incidentally, I bought a PLB straight away. You don't want to be floating in a big sea wishing you'd spent $500.

PeterNZ
Kayak Model: Profish 400 Lite
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9865

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:02 am

AndrewRawlingson wrote:You don't want to be floating in a big sea wishing you'd spent $500.
:y: :y: :y:

This sentence alone should be answer enough to the question. A PLB is top of my list.

Cheers

Peter

Divot

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I now need a bag for my iPhone 6s. It is in a hard case and won't fit any of the bags that I have seen. Any one help?

dedant
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:43 am

Divot wrote:Thanks guys for the info. I now need a bag for my iPhone 6s. It is in a hard case and won't fit any of the bags that I have seen. Any one help?

Lifeproof case. $100 or so, I'm on my second one. Due to my work and rough handling, clumbsy me, it has saved my phone several times. And no need for a dry bag, they don't float though, ;)

Glass is Class.. dedant

• Information