Corrosion on gas cartridges -

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Just a wee heads up after seeing a fellow camper with one of those gas cartridge camping stoves have a major conflagration (F#@kin big fire :sweat: ) erupt next to their tent and family.
As we often combine camping with our Fishing and hunting and gathering or just carry those handy Jetboil Burners for a quick brew or cook up and frequent salty marine environment ,so thought I'd share.

Basically these things are brilliant handy easy to use -but - the storage of them after usually in a shed or such can allow rust to set in and this can either make them leak out if left long enough or bleve (erupt into a rapidly expanding Fireball) when used at a later date .

Was going over my extensive stock of partly used Butane gas cartridges for various gas lamps etc and noticed a fair few were on there way out so a sort out and remedial action taken.

I've got Penetrol liquid that you treat corrosion with so gave the bottom seams and joins a lick of this and that should stave off the ravages of "Rust never Sleeps "
gas cartridges.jpg
Thought I'd thank Awondering for his making me smile after reading his aversion to that camping thing :)in a trip report someone posted .
This made me do a quick check of my own camping gear -Cheers and get out there .
Last edited by paddlesnap on Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:30 pm

How far is to far with them PS? I have some older ones as well and they have surface rust on them and a it of pitting, better to just turf and buy new ones?
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Hainesy
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Good reminder PS...

I did hear that there was a major camp ground fire at Ruakaka a few years back that was caused by one of those cylinders exploding
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:55 pm

I cycle mine frequently, buying new for every other trip and using in the garage or whatever afterwards.
Let's face it, they're only a few bucks.
Not quite the same, but I have personally witnessed the Keystone Cops hilarity (but potential for injury) of an MSR Whisperlite doing a Saturn V impersonation.
Which is why I prefer conventional fire in winter when stealth camping (a proper cooking fire, not a "White Mans Blaze" ) You know where you are with a pile of burning twigs :wasntme:

Hainesy, I think the incident you're referring to was a 9kg that went off due to a faulty connection.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:02 pm

And, a bit belated, but good to see you back Gary :beer:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

paddlesnap
Kayak Make: QK/Ron Augustin
Kayak Model: Torres/Seabear/ Albatross etc.

Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:35 pm

8) Thanks HLD , and yeah MM mine had just a bit of minor corrosion and it dosn't take much, so better to vent outside and get rid of dodgy ones . But the seams on them are prone to rust .
Bottom of them and seams on side on Screw downs where they sit in the wet and anywhere the paint coating is scratched .
Even the big 450 grm ones that go on a Magma Boat BBQ ( got it on trademe cheaper than normal- they're expensive as but nice unit for Tailgate camping & BBQ's ) are susceptible which is not desirable for something stored on a boat .
So they all got the preventative , these are worth more like $20 a pop.
The bayonet aerosol type cartridges are common , cheap as but also are the easiest to F- out and these cause frequent grief in those enclosed cartridge cookers-
camping-stove-gas-cartridge-camp-cooker-stove.jpg
camping-stove-gas-cartridge-camp-cooker-stove.jpg (141.85 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
These are often used indoors and in Bedsits type accomodation so bit of a concern.
Younger teenagers Huff the gas too so we often see not so funny incidents resulting from cartridges.
This is the type that caused the incident I saw , and mate has seen similar another time.

Also worthy noting is the warnings etc labelling on these is oft overlooked (Fine print or foreign lingo etc)
but the only use outdoors is a biggy and if in doubt or as a regular check spray a bit of soapy water on the connections to check .
Worse case scenario is what you start thinking after being in the Fire service for a while and seeing the results !

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:And, a bit belated, but good to see you back Gary :beer:
X2
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:11 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:
Hairy Little Dwarf wrote:And, a bit belated, but good to see you back Gary :beer:
X2
X3. :beer:
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

• Information