Re Entry Tips

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Hairy_Snappa
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:18 pm

Hey everybody, looking to take the plunge (literally) soon and practice reentry on my yak (hopefully this weekend if this weather plays ball).
However, being at the larger end of things, I was wondering if there are any particular tricks or tips for those of the more insulated variety. (I have a PFD which is a nice firm fit).

Thanks

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:50 am

Jason Milne aka Paddle Guy has some good video on YouTube. There are more on there, get your legs straight out behind you level with the surface before sliding/pulling yourself back on, have fun :)

Glass is Class.. dedant

Paddle
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Trident Ultra 4.3

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:32 pm

For me, it's much easier to reach under the yak and grab a handle to right it when flipped, had trouble climbing over it to flip it from the top side. From there it's mostly a matter of practising to find where you can grab on and put your weight without rolling it again. Give some thought to where you'll have stuff hanging off with a full set up... mostly right in the way!
--
Gone Phishing - ZMU8078
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.3

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 pm

A little light reading for you.

Just a suggestion is to make it as realistic as possible i.e some broomsticks and clutter on the yak so as you can farmiliarise yourself with a real life situation.
Expect the shock of cold water to slow you down and hinder efforts.... It might pay to have something nearby should you get too cold to function. For the first time in 6 years I experienced this just last weekend, not a nice feeling!

Start off in a depth that you can touch the ground in case you struggle at first..... Work your way out to a depth that you can't.

.......and below a couple of links that may be helpful

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 0&p=101921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 52&t=12470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

• Information