Tips for a Newbie

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Hairy_Snappa
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Hey guys, just purchased a Prowler 13 yak this week (finally) and looking to get into some serious fish at last :D Was hoping you guys could spare a few tips for someone who is just starting out in this exciting endeavor!

I own the basics, such as the pfd and drybags for my phone, keys etc. With the VHF coming next on the list :D

Interested to know, well everything really, havent been on a yak since I was much younger and never fished off of one. Planning to use SB's and other artificial lures (which I own most of the gear for).

In particular I would be interested to know how you guys minimize the risk from bities and how to interpret swellmap etc to plan a trip.

Cheers in advance guys, hope to see you out there! -Hairy

P.S Sorry if this is the wrong topic to put this under.

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Fri May 01, 2015 5:51 am

There are a few heading out of Orere Pt this Sunday morning, it's not that far from Hunua, :) Getting back in before midday and hanging round for a bit if you can't make it earlier for a fish there should be some of us cleaning fish and having a chin wag for while afterwards, come and join the fun.

Glass is Class.. dedant

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 pm

Learn to paddle efficiently. Not by bending your elbows but by using your body. I suggest at the start of the day that you paddle for 1/2 - 1 minute without bending your elbows at all. The stroke will be quite short. To do it means body rotation, the push being as or more important than the pull. The lower hand actually ends up as a fulcrum though it does pull the paddle back because your body is rotating.

Now bend your elbows to get the paddle out of the water at the end of the stroke and carry on for the rest of the day, hopefully paddling a bit more efficiently.

Get the paddle in as close to the hull as possible. As you rotate your body, pushing with the upper hand the paddle will swing out and away from the hull. It isn't much, not very far but you can angle the blade a bit to make it act like a wing and this is why the Wing paddle was designed as it is. Those who use a Greenland paddle definitely do this.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Some basics and comforting experiences about bities...... Common sense stuff really.

http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... =9&t=16465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Hairy_Snappa

Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for that Mac and WY. I don't feel nervous at all now when I'm out there. I only fish artificials so no bait or berley sent. Working on a light weight bin for the fish as well.

Also Mac, when I practice that stroke, do my elbows have to be straight or at right angles?

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Hairy_Snappa wrote: Also Mac, when I practice that stroke, do my elbows have to be straight or at right angles?
Basically arms are straight out in front of you. Your shoulders are rotating due to all your body rotating. If you can see some of Lisa Carrington paddling, that's what it is. OK, she's going as fast as possible but the technique is the same, body producing the power not your biceps.

An elbow starts bending to pull the paddle out of the water.

Arms straight down and elbows at right angles so fore-arm is horizontal is supposedly an Inuit stroke which also needs body rotation, a low foredeck and a narrow kayak.

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:04 pm

Hope this helps.
Attachments
WP_20150701_001.jpg
I have a checklist that I tick off to make sure everything ready and packed. It saves me the anxiety if I forget anything.
WP_20150701_002.jpg
If you have those fancy keys that will alarm and immobilise your vehicle, get a spare key cut and take it with you. In the unlikely event you turtle and get your key wet, you can go back to your spare key to unlock your car.
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Douugie
Kayak Make: Viking Kayak
Kayak Model: Profish 400 lite

Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Also make sure you Leash everything that you don't want to end up at the bottom of the ocean, most importantly a leash for your paddle.

Snap 4T
Kayak Model: Reload

Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:18 am

Schecter wrote:Hope this helps.

File comment: I have a checklist that I tick off to make sure everything ready and packed.
It saves me the anxiety if I forget anything.
Hhmm... kayak check list.
all checked except for kayak, :?: wonder how you kayak fish :lol:

I like your key idea :y:

R.S.J

Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:41 pm

dont forget paddle :?: . And a wetsuit if you plan on diving :wasntme: :lol: the list goes on........

Schecter
Kayak Model: Profish EVO IV
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8098

Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Snap 4T wrote:
Schecter wrote:Hope this helps.

File comment: I have a checklist that I tick off to make sure everything ready and packed.
It saves me the anxiety if I forget anything.
Hhmm... kayak check list.
all checked except for kayak, :?: wonder how you kayak fish :lol:

I like your key idea :y:

Doh!! :$

Kayak and Brain - check :clap: :)
Viking Tempo
Viking Profish 440

PB: Snapper=79cm. Rogers Road, 26/10/14

PB: Gurnard=34cm. Orere Point, 17/06/15

PB: Kingfish=75cm. Omaio, 13/02/16

Manurewa Marlins RLFC. The Home of Joe Galuvao, Henry Fa'afili, Greg Eastwood, Daniel O'Regan, Jesse Bromwich,
Kenny Bromwich, Peter Hiku, Ligi Sao, Siliva Havili.

Hairy_Snappa

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:42 pm

Sweet. Thanks for the all the advice guys. Might start using that form Schecter!

• Information