Anyone use the KTI SA2G PLB?

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Rob
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Aqua 2/Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMU6741

Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:16 am

http://www.skippersmate.com.au/kti-safe ... or-beacon/

NZ Coded, slightly larger than a Rescue Me...

Sounds like it has some good features at a nicer price than local shops can offer... even if GST is added to it.

Has anyone bought one of these?

gadgetm
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:09 pm

I have one. The advantages over the RescueMe are that it floats, has a 10 year battery life and price. The lanyard is a mess with three clips and a useless whistle built into it, might swap that for one from the cheap mall shops. Very pleased with it at about NZ$300. Cruise around the site a bit and you'll be offered a 5% discount code.

yak64
Kayak Make: Ocean kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZME2628

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:33 pm

Hi

I have been looking at this unit on line and got confused re its suitability for use in a marine environment.... all its specs seem to indicate it is ideal. However some reviews and even the KTI site is confusing. The KTI site states...

"the new KTI Safety-Alert is compact, fast and reliable. Ideal for bushwalkers, four wheel drivers, cross country skiers and small aircraft pilots, the KTI Safety-Alert PLB is the ultimate global rescue link for people who want peace of mind in the outdoors."

As it does not mention marine... i thought i would ask and got the following reply...

"Our PLB is rated waterproof to a depth of 3 metres for one hour. Provided the beacon remains above the water and the antenna is set upright, the radiated signals are fully compatible with the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite based Search and Rescue system as certified by COSPAS-SARSAT.

Please note that our SA2G PLB is not self-righting in water and is not an EPIRB. However it is the only PLB currently on the market that is compatible with a life vest - other PLBs do not have a swivel antenna and therefore their antenna cannot be set upright when the beacon is attached to a life vest. We are also unaware of any other PLB that can provide GPS position updates every 5 minutes which could be critical to search and rescue operations under adverse conditions.

Australian made PFDs are available with a PLB pocket. If your PFD does not provide a PLB pocket you may need to determine a suitable method of shoulder mounting such as a velcro strap.
If keeping a PLB above the water is not an option then you may need to consider an EPIRB instead of a PLB."

Hope that may be helpful... Cheers Bruce

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 pm

This topic comes up quite a bit...

One question to also consider is where is any signal that is transmitted received ???.. I know that we all read stories of people travelling in NZ with a "foreign"PLB thats activated and they end up having the signal received in the US / UK / somewhere and then the details are relayed to NZ Search & Rescue and they all live happily every after...

Not sure that for the sake of a couple of hundy I'd want to potentially compromise my safety / life because of a delay in NZ S&R getting information relayed to them....and of course, it may not work anyway !!
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

yak64

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Hi Hainesy

One question to also consider is where is any signal that is transmitted received ???.. I know that we all read stories of people travelling in NZ with a "foreign"PLB thats activated and they end up having the signal received in the US / UK / somewhere and then the details are relayed to NZ Search & Rescue and they all live happily every after...

Not sure that for the sake of a couple of hundy I'd want to potentially compromise my safety / life because of a delay in NZ S&R getting information relayed to them....and of course, it may not work anyway !!
Thanks for your reply.... yes for a few hundred its not worth taking risks..... i had sent an emai to the Rescue coordination centre in NZ earlier and received the following reply when i asked if it was suitable for use in NZ...

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your response.
As long as the beacon is New Zealand coded, then it meets all our requirements and guidelines.
The only issue you may have with importing from Australia is having to pay customs fees/tax when it comes into the country.

Regards,

Talia Rei | 406 Beacons Administrator
Maritime New Zealand | Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ)
Nō te rere moana Aotearoa

T +64 4 577 8047 | F +64 4 5778041 | E 406registry@maritimenz.govt.nz

So i am assuming it is just as reliable and safe... however happy to be put wrong and steered away from this if that is not correct.

Regards Bruce

Hainesy

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:16 pm

bgreen wrote:Hi Hainesy

Thanks for your reply.... yes for a few hundred its not worth taking risks..... i had sent an emai to the Rescue coordination centre in NZ earlier and received the following reply when i asked if it was suitable for use in NZ...

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for your response.
As long as the beacon is New Zealand coded, then it meets all our requirements and guidelines.
The only issue you may have with importing from Australia is having to pay customs fees/tax when it comes into the country.

Regards,

Talia Rei | 406 Beacons Administrator
Maritime New Zealand | Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (RCCNZ)
Nō te rere moana Aotearoa

T +64 4 577 8047 | F +64 4 5778041 | E 406registry@maritimenz.govt.nz

So i am assuming it is just as reliable and safe... however happy to be put wrong and steered away from this if that is not correct.

Regards Bruce
Yep, the key to the question is the comment is "as long as its NZ coded"..... If not then you're relying on the signal being picked up "outside" NZ and the info relayed back....so...thats the question that needs to be asked...

Will be interested to hear the response.....

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

yak64

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi Hainsey

Yes should have clarified the web site clearly states it is NZ coded.

This is the link http://www.skippersmate.com.au/kti-safe ... or-beacon/

Cheers
Last edited by yak64 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hainesy

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:21 pm

bgreen wrote:Hi Hainsey

Yes should have clarified the web site clearly states it is NZ coded
yep....just found it myself !...Dont they call that Team Work ! :lol: :lol:

http://www.skippersmate.com.au/kti-safe ... or-beacon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

yak64

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:25 pm

I think they do indeed... so am guessing if it can escape the soon to be introduced new GST rules... would be a good and safe buy

Cheers

Hainesy

Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:36 pm

bgreen wrote:<null>
At the moment the threshold is $400 NZD which is the purchase price plus freight etcetera . If you are under that you'll escape GST... If it's over, them GST is collectable

Rob

Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:39 pm

Yep, I'm keen on getting one...

I hope to be able to order one in the next week or so.
That should round out the safety equipment side of things for me...
PFD, VHF radio, flares, first aid kit.

Maybe I'll look at a new PFD to replace the 10 year old one?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hi Bruce,

I used to live at Haumoana.
Do you fish of the beach there or go to Te Awanga/Napier to launch?

Rob.

yak64

Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi Rob .... try to fish TA or clifton when waves allow. ..port is the backup...yes I intend getting one of these too!

Rob

Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:48 pm

Ordered last Thursday...
Fri 10 Apr 2015 15:57 Shipping information received by Australia Post
Fri 10 Apr 2015 18:39 Accepted by Australia Post DANDENONG SOUTH VIC
Sat 11 Apr 2015 00:48 Arrived at facility MELBOURNE VIC
Sat 11 Apr 2015 01:53 Processed through facility MELBOURNE VIC
Mon 13 Apr 2015 11:00 Arrived at facility in destination country AUCKLAND (NZ)
Tue 14 Apr 2015 10:15 Attempted Delivery at my home.

That's better than shipping something to the South island!

:) Picked up from the local Courier Post this afternoon.

First impressions?
Bigger that I thought it would be... about the size of a cigarette packet. That's not a bad thing, as it fits nicely in my hand without being too large or too small to grip properly.

Hope I never get myself into trouble that requires it, or find someone else in need for that matter also.

Rob.

Rob

Sat May 02, 2015 7:10 pm

just a few pic's...

• Information