Missing Yakker in Island Bay???

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Jules67
Kayak Make: Feelfree
Kayak Model: Moken 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMW4536

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Been looking out the window and noticed Westpac chopper flying low and slow wondering what they are doing and then noticed this...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/ne ... island-bay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know why anyone would want to go out in this weather, blowing 30Knots plus and raining etc, just shitttt weather.
If they did go out hope they told someone otherwise it could be a bad night.

Limitless
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:39 am

This is an interesting situation, here's an excerpt from the link above:

"...The search was called off due to darkness prior to the man calling police to advise he had not been in any difficulties and returned home safely..."

I enjoy paddling in the rough stuff, but it's critical to notify the likes of the Coastguard when doing so to let them know what you're up to. No issue with the person raising the alarm - good on them for being observant and having the gumption to make the call - they get a big thank you from me :clap: . Huge respect for the volunteers and staff of organisations such as the Coastguard and our emergency services - all too often these guys are putting their own lives on the line for us :y:

The ones I have issue with are those not filing TR's with Coastguard or letting others know what they're up to so that any alarms can be followed up rapidly and identities confirmed. If you trip plan is logged you can be found sooner (even if fit and well in the conditions and there's no problem), and everyone isn't left wondering if some poor soul is trying to stay afloat all night. I'm not saying this is what happened in this instance, but it does serve as a classic reminder of how important logging TR's can be when pushing the boundaries (or at any time).

OK, I'll get off my soap box now :$

Cheers,

Stephen Tapp.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:00 am

Spot on Limitless :y:

I know of two instances where I have been reported as being in trouble. Both times I've been larking about in real snotty water, when I've had a call from Marine Radio asking if it was me, and if all was OK (Had advised them prior that I was likely to spark a call).

It's also reassuring when I'm fishing remote areas and a boat potters over to ask if any assistance is needed. :inlove:
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

• Information