Time for a new PFD

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
technical
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish 400
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6484

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm

pdf.jpg
I've got one of the original NRS Chinnooks. It's served me well but it's got a few holes now so time for a new one.
I'm happy with the Chinnook but I'll take a look at the cvest as well. Any other makes/models people can recommend?

Cheers,
tech.
Warning: Contents may contain traces of nuts.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:09 pm

Did it shrink mate? :beer: :lol:

Welcome back Tech.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

technical

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:04 pm

WaikatoYakka wrote:Did it shrink mate? :beer: :lol:

Welcome back Tech.
Yeah, like most of stuff I wear. Must be the washing powder. |(

YakFisho Snapps
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 495,BFS..
VHF Call Sign: Yakfisho Snapps

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:42 pm

Hay mate where you been! i had the same Pfd for a few years and mine ended up looking like yours..i had a Yak Xipe 55n for a while was a very nice Pfd which can hold a bladder for drinking as well...Then i got a Astral Ronny Fisher Pfd have found this one of the best Pfds i have had to date has a heap of room in the pockets for cameras, Vhf and cellphone in a waterproof case easy attachment points for vid remotes and comes with a hood you can pull out if you are useing a paddle jacket without a hood incase it rains..Give the ole boy Madmike a hola at Top Catch Whangarei he will sort you out with both of these Pfds options :y:...
Attachments
rsz_p1020132.jpg
Astral Ronny Fisher...
WP_20140511_004[1]%20(2).jpg
Astral Ronny Fisher...
WP_20140511_004[1]%20(2).jpg (77.74 KiB) Viewed 3492 times

Worsley

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:45 pm

I tried a number of PFDs a few months ago and in the end I bought the new chinook.

Stick with what works!

Hawk
Kayak Make: Pinnacle
Kayak Model: Elite
VHF Call Sign: Hawk ZMU3995

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:02 pm

technical wrote:Any other makes/models people can recommend?
I have had a Yak Kurve for a couple of years now, and aside from limited storage, has been a great jacket. Very comfy, as I prefer the non-zipped styles.

Had a new Extrasport Osprey for a few weeks a while back, but never ended up using it, as it just felt insecure and loose. Sold that.

The other day, I tried on a friend's Astral (possibly Greenjacket or Sea Wolf, can't remember), and what a difference in comfort! They separate the rib cage band from the top half of the jacket at the front, and it makes a huge difference to bending over, even when you have done it up very tight. Very good storage too, with pockets all over it. I'd be very interested in the Ronny Fisher as well, although its a more conventional design.

Kayak Adventures
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: To many models to name
VHF Call Sign: ZMS6165

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:36 am

Our biggest seller is the BladePro from BLA.
Multiple side, front and shoulder adjusters for the ultimate fit and security.
Integrated expanding back hydration and cargo pocket. Multi front pocket for the ultimate storage of personal effects.
Reflective tape and trims and reasonably priced.
For more info see this link: http://kayakadventures.co.nz/shopping/p ... id=12&=SID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers
Janet
All the best from the team

Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coromande ... 33?sk=wall

Stockists of the worlds best brands! Fishing Kayaks, Accessories, Watersport Clothing, Spearfishing Gear and Fishing Tackle

awondering
Kayak Model: Viking PF400 Custom Black
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8884

Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:45 am

A couple of months ago I decided to get a new PFD as mine looked much like yours, and after a heap of procrastinating I opted for the Palm Kaikoura,I got it sent out from the UK as it only seems you can get them here about two models ago, here is a review dizzyfish from the UK did sometime ago, which is very good, what I do like about the Kaikoura is the detailing in it, its hands down the best I have seen for a long time :y:

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/palm-kaikoura ... 13-update/

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/blog ... pfd-review

http://www.palmequipmenteurope.com/product/kaikoura
BA326_Kaikoura_PFD_Blue_front_940x940_0.jpg

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:07 pm

I'm using the NRS CVest and really like it. The fabric on the new garments is a massive improvement on the old material, and mine is lasting very well. I find the pocket configuration works for me, especially the VHF pocket, but it's the way the foam is configured in the back that I really like - the design gives clearance for the typical SOT kayak seats.

I find for me this delivers two benefits:

1 - there's no ride-up habit i.e. many PFD's I've used in the past will rid up on the seat back as I paddle along. I tend to sit slightly forward and only lightly leaning on the seat back - this allows me to rotate better in my paddle stroke.

2- when not paddling and I'm actually leaning back in the seat I find I get better lumbar support (I find the foam on the back of many traditional PFD's pushes me off the seat slightly, leaving a gap between the seat and my lower back I can slide my hand into).

There is one final aspect, I like the way the CVest floats me in the water - again I believe the way the foam is configured at the back works for me, positioning me better in the water to sort kayak and gear before executing a re-entry. Arguably this is something we should all try before purchasing PFD's as we want proper stress-free support when in the water, not something that makes the task more difficult.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

MadMike
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak, Stealth
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.7, Stealth EVO 495

Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Theres also the astral Green Jacket. although a white water Jacket it has most excellent buoyancy fit and comfort with lots and lots of safety pieces
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Http://www.northlandangler.co.nz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

technical

Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:23 am

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys.
That's given me a short list of 3 or 4 to check out.
Lost my braid scissors on Friday when they fell out the hole in my top PFD pocket and bounced over the side. |(

destin
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9308

Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:26 pm

I have had an MTI Calcutta for the entire time I have been kayak fishing. It was looking a bit like your one Technical.
Decided to replace it today with the NRS CVest. Thanks for the comments Limitless. I agree the web backing should work much better on the kayak.

My old one has been handed down to my son who is also the proud owner of a secondhand standup paddle board ;)
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3 ZMW9308

gadgetm
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:54 pm

Interesting reading as I'll likely be in the market for a new jacket soon too. Want something I can have a drink bladder in and a few pockets for snacks, plb, etc. Since I don't bend very well in the middle I want the stuff I'll need to access frequently on me.

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:36 pm

Still lovin my Xipe from YAK, a bit on the smaller size for sizing but a bloody good PFD so far, many hours worn and through the washing machine most times and still looking good :y:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

MadMike

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:55 pm

Agreed Mental, the Xipe is a nice PFD, pity it doesn't go big enough to fit me :(
Face book : http://www.facebook.com/TopCatchWhangarei" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stockist of, Ocean Kayaks, Old Town Kayaks, Phoenix Kayaks , Humminbird, Scotty, Rob Fort ACC and much much more!

Hainesy
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW 2196

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:26 pm

MadMike wrote:Agreed Mental, the Xipe is a nice PFD, pity it doesn't go big enough to fit me :(
x3...but mine fits ! :lol:
"The trouble with common sense is that it's not too common !"

Viking ReLoad
Ocean Kayak Trident 4.3
Phoenix Hornet - "Retired"
Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.3 - "Retired"
Viking Profish 440 - "Retired"
Scrambler XT - "Retired"

ZMW 2196

MadMike

Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:43 pm

Hainesy wrote:
MadMike wrote:Agreed Mental, the Xipe is a nice PFD, pity it doesn't go big enough to fit me :(
x3...but mine fits ! :lol:
:P

• Information