Safety First

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
battznz

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi all,

As a newbie to anything outdoors, I often look at the fun of things after a swift risk assessment. I'd rather be tight on OSH (or OHS) rather than Oh Sh*t Happened.

As I'm new to kayaking any further than 50mtrs off the shore, I find myself picking at safety aspects associated with venturing beyond that. I am making a list of things that I should have or think I should before the enjoyment of the experience of getting out there and catching stuff for the puku.

This is the list off the top of my head (or common sense):

PFD
VHF Radio
First Aid kit
Navigation Device
Navigation Chart
Registered Call Sign
Intent Check Sheet (where, when, how long, what on, who with, who knows, call sign, returning when, vhf channel etc.)

Anyone care to add anything to that list. I've got fishing gear sorted, but for the kayak I've got next to nothing (only pfd).
Also in regards to Navigation.....what's out there for the poor mans budget? Obviously having a hard copy paper backup and a compass is a must, but I'm talking apps and gps on smartphones etc. anything as such? I have a tablet that sits there not doing much.....wouldn't mind utilising it for something :geek:

Cheers

GreenMamba
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:01 pm

For navigation on a smart phone you can't beat the navionics app. Well worth the $20 or so.

Some other safely items: a drogue, a flag, and a buddy :-)

dwmonty
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler 13
VHF Call Sign: ZMU3862

Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:57 pm

If you get to the point of needing a chart on a kayak you are probably screwed. Much better to stay in close where you can use landmarks as reference. A GPS would be much quicker and more accurate for locating your position if calling for help. The chart is better used at home for planning the trip and perhaps even marking where you are launching and fishing as part of your logged intentions so that your shore based person can inform authorities if you don't show up.
Cheers
Dale

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:12 pm

battznz wrote: PFD
VHF Radio
First Aid kit
Navigation Device
Navigation Chart
Registered Call Sign
Intent Check Sheet (where, when, how long, what on, who with, who knows, call sign, returning when, vhf channel etc.)
I wonder how we did multiday trips the length of Abel Tasman, round D'Urville Island, through out the Marlborough Sounds, all will very little equipment.

PFD - yes
First Aid - a sticking plaster and asprin
Navigation Device - ??? what? A Sextant (no)? A compass possibly but never used.
Chart - possibly a photocopied laminated map for some trips.
Registered call sign - ??? Never had VHF until recently and that is used now for weather forecasts instead of a broadcast radio.
Spare paddle - at least one per group
Towline - if paddling in a group.
Paddlefloat - for self rescue (SIK).
Food, water, tent, spare clothes - multiday trips.

Experience, Skill, Risk Management (called "What if the mast fell down?" from years of sailing), aware of wind and tide and their effects, keeping eyes open, knowing what the weather is likely to do next as far as wind goes. Probably these are the most important things.

WaikatoYakka
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8783

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:29 pm

The only thing that springs to mind will cost you half a day and I'm sure you will enjoy it.........

Start at waist or shoulder depth. Keep PFD on and throw yourself out of the kayak then find your way back into the drivers seat then go out further so as you cannot touch the bottom and repeat at least several times more than it takes for you to be confident and tired.

Then do the same if you can adding some clutter on your kayak. Broomstick or similar where you would put a fishing rod etc.

At the end of the day the first person to save you as such is yourself.
Cobra Fish N Dive
Cobra Marauder
Ocean Kayak 4.3
Viking 400
TETRA12
Ocean Kayak4.3

RELOAD
........Such a whore

ZMT8783
Still turtle free since September '09 March 2011 :doh:

Addict since Sept '09

Celebre
Kayak Make: Barracuda
Kayak Model: Beachcomber
VHF Call Sign: ZMT6867

Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 am

PFD
Flag
Drouge
Buddy (until you get some confidence)
Learning to self rescue - consider a kayak course
leashes for all of the gear you do not want to lose. (Murphy's law really comes into play here)
Drybag (especially if you have a 'bleeper' for the car)
2 means of calling for help. Cell phone in the dry bag and a whistle are good.
VHF Radio - very handy, but not essential. Don't get an el-cheapo (there are a few posts about radios around here)
First Aid kit - I don't take one fishing. I'll improvise and call for help if that bad.
Navigation Device - I don't take one. If I lose sight of shore then I'm in more trouble that a nav device can help
Navigation Chart - as above
Registered Call Sign - not essential
Intent Check Sheet (where, when, how long, what on, who with, who knows, call sign, returning when, vhf channel etc.) haven't used one, a text message to partner normally suffices.

I think you can now adapt your tablet to be a fish finder.

Where are you fishing from?

blair
Kayak Model: Profish 400

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 am

a knife. there are lots of threads on here regarding the best rescue knives

Yaktofish
Kayak Model: Reload
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9666

Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:55 am

Add sunblock to your list and headlamp or light if your around before or after daylight.
Viking Reload
Ocean Ultra 4.3

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:24 am

I find it very reassuring having land around me at all times when the weather is less than ideal.
Find a place (Kawakawa bay for me) where you are surrounded by islands at all times. It means I can venture past that 50m mark and still have a safety net on the other side.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Limitless
Kayak Model: Profish, Espri, 2+1
VHF Call Sign: Limitless

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:53 pm

There's lots of good stuff in the posts above, but possibly a bit of a lack on emphasis on navigation aids (a small $15 compass is often all that's required). As an angler I've often fished late into the evening, and on the odd occasion this has combined with either fog or rain to make it difficult to know in which direction I needed to paddle to return to base. If darkness falls, then unless your destination is lit it can be very difficult making correct land fall.

GPS, especially GPS plotters with a chart on board is also useful in high winds, heavy seas, and strong currents to correct for their influences on your paddling direction. IMHO not as essential as having a small compass on your person, but still very useful if the proverbial brown stuff hits the fan.
ZMS8574 LIMA INDIA MIKE INDIA TANGO LIMA ECHO SIERRA SIERRA - practised your phonetic alphabet yet?
The current fleet: Profish Reload, Profish GT, Profish 400 Lite
The historic fleet: too many to mention... the adventures since 1974 have seen lots of kayak carnage
Find me at Viking Kayaks in Matamata... you gotta love our sport!

kea999
Kayak Make: ocean kayak
Kayak Model: 4.5- 4.3 -465 - 480

Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:42 pm

Would probably add drinking water to a safety list especially this time of year

gadgetm
Kayak Model: Espri
VHF Call Sign: ZMW8300

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:04 pm

Limitless wrote:There's lots of good stuff in the posts above, but possibly a bit of a lack on emphasis on navigation aids (a small $15 compass is often all that's required). As an angler I've often fished late into the evening, and on the odd occasion this has combined with either fog or rain to make it difficult to know in which direction I needed to paddle to return to base. If darkness falls, then unless your destination is lit it can be very difficult making correct land fall.

GPS, especially GPS plotters with a chart on board is also useful in high winds, heavy seas, and strong currents to correct for their influences on your paddling direction. IMHO not as essential as having a small compass on your person, but still very useful if the proverbial brown stuff hits the fan.
+1 to this. When things get clagged in and you get disorientated navigation devices are pretty highly sought after kit. I'll be adding a PLB to my kit before I get the yak, it should arrive tomorrow for NZ$300 from Aus.

• Information