Leave it in the car and Murphy's law will bite you.

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Raptor
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload
VHF Call Sign: Raptor ZMQ2349

Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:29 pm

Went for a little paddle on Sunday from Okahu bay out to Bean rock to toss around a couple of softbaits but it was more a paddle day than a fishing day.
It was such a fantastic day on the water I then decided to keep going across to Rangi.
I was just about to channel marker 14 and had to do a quick brace as the wake hit from two of the big ferries passing either side of me.
It was nothing dramatic at all but just as I put the weight on there was a loud crack and my Kevlar paddle parted right in the middle.
I normally carry every bit of safety gear you can think of but as it was such a fantastic day and as I hadn't intended to go far I had left my spare paddle in the car (yes I did still have all the rest including the vhf etc.)
Thankfully it was only 3km back to Mission bay (not helped by an outgoing tide) but not a lot of fun using half a paddle.
It has been 20 something years since I last broke a paddle at sea but Murphy made sure it happened the one time I didn't carry the spare.
Lesson learned.
Raptor ZMQ2349

Mad keen kayaker... or perhaps just mad.
- Viking Profish Reload (the rock proof fishing boat)
- Southern Skua (the distance cruiser)
- Squall (Its hers)
- Breaksea Double (doin it together)

FatherOfMany
Kayak Make: Old Town
Kayak Model: Predator XL Petrol
VHF Call Sign: ZMW9858

Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:24 pm

Glad you didn't get into serious trouble...

Are the Kevlar paddles more likely to break, Raptor? I never thought of carrying a second paddle with me, but I do have a lot of space inside the Predator... Might be worth keeping a spare paddle in there, maybe I can find one that breaks apart into 2 pieces for storage.
----------------------------------------------------
Old Town Predator XL
OK Tetra 12
Old Town Predator 13
OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #1, OK Prowler Elite 4.5 #2

PB: Snapper=66cm, J.D.=39cm, Gurnard=38cm

VHF Callsign: ZMW 9858

Kayak Fishing Auckland

Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:02 pm

.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Raptor

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:02 pm

Glass and Kevlar paddles are generally pretty strong and will take some serious knocks but if they are damaged it can be in such a way that you can't see it until it suddenly fails as mine did.
The ali shaft plastic blade paddles are pretty much indestructible but they weigh a ton which makes a difference when you are covering a bit of distance.
You can break or lose any paddle so as a sea kayaker I have always carried a spare split paddle strapped to the rear deck, particularly when going out wide, its just part of my standard safety kit.
If you do want to carry a spare all you need is a cheap two piece (split) paddle which hopefully you won't ever need to use. The one I have is still unused unfortunately ;)
Raptor ZMQ2349

- Squall (Its hers)

Raptor

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:08 pm

Bit more drama than I had Hairy Little Dwarf, at least I wasn't hanging upside down trying to catch fish in my teeth at the time.
Raptor ZMQ2349

- Squall (Its hers)

dedant
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 500
VHF Call Sign: ZMU5052

Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:06 pm

Yea, been there! I lost a blade off North Head. Paddling a barge one bladed against the tide was no fun, but I know now I can do it! :)

Glass is Class.. dedant

BOBCAT
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra 4.1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT 6538

Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Recently picked up a split paddle on Trade me for $40 - good value -several to choose from.-worth a look

• Information