knife placement options

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

I'm trying to limit what's in my PFD front pockets to make it easier to get back into the kayak with tired arms and on a potentially stormy sea.

Does anyone strap a knife to their lower leg? I tried but the straps on the cheap one I bought were, frankly, crap.

Made a split second call to cut a shark free this weekend after it dragged me close to surf and a set was coming in. Only just got going and the bow pointing into the waves in time. Was an instinct/muscle memory action to pull knife out of its sheath in the front PFD pocket without even looking at it. I have just learned it's there. Hoping to find another location for it that can become as natural to access when the shtf.
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

I carry two knives.
My main utility fish-stabber sits in the sheath mounted on the utility lid.

My "get out of jail free" knife is on my PFD strap in fron of the shoulder so can be reached with both hands quickly (rather than in pocket), is never used and always sharp.
Also high enough that it's out of the way (PLB on other shoulder)
For muscle memory, at least once each trip I grab and release the rescue knife.

I'm not a fan of the "Rambo mount" on the calf as it can be difficult to reach
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
AndrewRawlingson

Plus any experience diver will tell you the leg mounted knife is a (rope) entanglement hazard.
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Fisha 460

Thanks fellas. It feels a bit like that movie the castle, but I'll move the PLB off the PFD shoulder strap, put it on my arm, so I can get a knife on the shoulder strap. So much serenity.