Kayak fatality off Waikowhai Beach

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
kingiFiddler
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Short on details but all I got at this stage :
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300427 ... -by-police
Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

The Herald says it is, or might be, a waka. Is that the Herald simply not knowing what it is talking about or what?

Admittedly a SOT could be classed as a canoe (waka) being "on top" and "open" but... paddled with a double bladed paddle not a single bladed.

I had this question of what type of vessel asked of me yesterday.
Hairy Little Dwarf
VHF Call Sign: Red Dwarf

Waka ama.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300428 ... ling-coach

Condolences to his friends and family.
Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.
Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Thank you, that seems to confirm that the news media (except the Herald) don't know the types of vessels in New Zealand waters. It appears it was most definitely not a kayak. Basically they can't write English correctly.

It is the same when they go on about Social Distancing, something that does not have a metric value. Physical distance is measured in metric units.
kingiFiddler

Thanks HLD.
------
Latu was canoeing in Waikowhai Beach on Auckland’s Manukau Harbour on Saturday afternoon. Police received a report at 2.40pm that he was having “difficulty” with his vessel.

Richard Cooper, who was one of the first on the scene, said the outrigger Latu was operating failed – meaning his craft became unstable. Latu was paddling
------

FTR, I'm hoping to learn, to avoid anything that may have contributed to his demise. No disrespect towards family and friends intended.

So, the outrigger failed. I wonder if we'll get any further detail in time. Such as floatation (personal and craft), trip report lodged with someone, VHF, any other medical conditions meaning he couldn't stay with the craft, sea and wind state, etc. I guess that's what a coroner is for.