PLB saves Northland kayaker

To discuss safety issues and their direct affects on kayaks and kayak fishing. Do it but do it safely!
Hairy Little Dwarf
Kayak Make: Phoenix
Kayak Model: Hornet

Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:49 pm

.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Marc N
Kayak Make: FishMaster
Kayak Model: Elite4
VHF Call Sign: none

Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:24 pm

looks like he's trying to kayak around NZ in a home made pedal powered vessel, he was off the west coast, near Kaipara Harbour

Another article here

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=12018237
VALKOHAI

Fishmaster Elite4 'yak
Fishing for every thing from Trout to Kingfish

kingiFiddler

Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:15 pm

I wonder how many times he has been able to get back on after being turfed out. Ever? If not, I think there's a wee problem with his endeavours.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:44 pm

Kayaker rescued for a second time
https://www.odt.co.nz/news/national/kay ... econd-time

"It is not the first time he has called on rescue services in the pursuit of his dream to kayak around New Zealand."

"In August last year, police helped him ashore after he was unable to get back in his kayak when it capsized off Opotiki in the Bay of Plenty."

This time it was "remote location of Ripiro Beach, 20km north of the North Head entrance to Kaipara Harbour."
"It seemed the kayaker was unable to make it through the waves to the beach"

Using pedal power he has no paddle to brace with. How you'd get in through surf I don't know and if you read of those who have circumnavigated NZ by kayak, surf is what has to be handled - often.

Decades ago I designed a trimaran that could be righted after a capsize. A 39' sailing trimaran for world circumnavigation - if you really wanted to.

JohnnyR
Kayak Make: Prowler
Kayak Model: 13

Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:58 pm

It's asking for trouble doing a trip like this by yourself.

Hairy Little Dwarf

Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:30 pm

JohnnyR wrote:It's asking for trouble doing a trip like this by yourself.
It's been done many times, a few have had to take two, or even three bites to complete it.
There is always an element of risk, even when we head out for a fish, but having the gear and skillset makes a big difference.

End of the day, he's safe - whether he takes a life lesson from it remains to be seen, he's pretty much missed the weather window for this summer anyway.
.................... "Flying Mango".......... [Up for sale, $1400]

Phoenix Hornet - Specialty Assault Craft

Dad! Dad! Look at his fish! It's way bigger than anything you've EVER caught! - Nosey 7-8yo boy on opening my icebox to father strapping down his $XXX Stabicraft 759(?) - Gold. Pure Gold.

Mac50L
Kayak Make: SeaLand
Kayak Model: Mac50L

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:19 pm

JohnnyR wrote:
Tell that to Paul Caffyn, North and South Islands and then he did Japan, Australia, Alaska, all solo. Tell that to that young kid Tara Mulvany who did most of the South Island solo (in winter) and the North Island all solo. A lot of people have done the South Island solo and a few the North Island too.

Just use the right craft and have the right skills.

kingiFiddler

Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Mac50L wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:19 pm
JohnnyR wrote:
Tell that to Paul Caffyn, North and South Islands and then he did Japan, Australia, Alaska, all solo. Tell that to that young kid Tara Mulvany who did most of the South Island solo (in winter) and the North Island all solo. A lot of people have done the South Island solo and a few the North Island too.

Just use the right craft and have the right skills.
At the back end of my first Summer in a yak, I am starting to appreciate that some paddlers must have mad skills and experience and be supremely confident in themselves and their craft. A day I'd never go out is just a neat training paddle for them. I still get twitchy if the shoreline starts looking real thin. Just can't back myself out wide yet but will push those limits towards the end of next Summer.

• Information