Beginers luck

Go on, show us what you caught from your Kayak! Where, when, and how are optional
richardantony
Kayak Make: viking
Kayak Model: espri

Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Not bad for a new to the kayak fishing and soft bait sport even if I say so myself. Caught at Bland Bay in the Bay itself, straight out from the camp site. Great spot by the way. I think I must have got a bit more than just a little lucky, judging by the way the locals nearly fell over when I came back with it. Big thanks to the cool as Maori guy that came out of his camper with the ex fisheries knife and filleted it for me. My effort would have resembled a scene from “Saw 3”.
Attachments
Easter holiday 2010 011.jpg
Easter holiday 2010 007.jpg

itsallablur
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: Profish Reload

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:19 am

Great effort!! You'l have the kayak fishing bug now. Look forward to more pictures of future trips. :)
Viking Reload
Viking GT
Taranaki Kayak Fishing Club link: http://www.oskfc.net

Mental
Site Admin
Kayak Make: Stealth
Kayak Model: Evolution 465
VHF Call Sign: ZMS4156

Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:49 am

Nice fish and photos! Did someone say forum trip to Bland Bay? :lol:
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465
Ramco - Fishmaster 580 My BIG kayak!
...and the countless other kayaks I've owned

YakM@
Kayak Make: Viking
Kayak Model: 2plus1
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8934

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 am

Hmmm, Bland Bay. That's one trip that's not too far from me. Google maps says 74.6km....

Matt
M@

PB Fish = 41cm KY | 8lb4oz Snapper | 2lb Gurnard | 31cm Leather Jacket | 50cm Trevally | 65cm Kingfish

Mental
Site Admin

Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 am

:lol: better than the 227km it's telling me...
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

richardantony

Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:31 pm

Yeah it is a way up, but not a hard drive. Although I was towing a caracvan for the first time and started to get the old red light flashing on the dash as soon as I turned off the main drag.Turned out to be a dodgy alternmator wire which landed me stuck at the side of the road. Good times, You can just imagine how funny my wife find tyhe whole ordeal! How she laughed :@

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:11 pm

Yeah nice fish mate , I see you caught it out of a snapper slaying viking espri :y:

kaiyakfisher
Kayak Make: Qkayaks
Kayak Model: escapade

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:05 pm

Thats a nice snapper :clap: I Love snapper like that they are just the meanest fun! The view looks Orsum! how far is that from aucks?
The sea is dead flat down here, Im getting up for a 4am fish tomorrow, Theres been some large snaps in close lately.
My addvice would be to hook up with Your local yak fishos for a good chin wag and a fish! We lost an inexperianced yak fisho here not long ago.lone maiden trip. done Right yak fishing is safer than crossing the road! And far far more fun than sleeping!
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: He he he and another ones got the bug!
You could follow king fisher down here in the kingie season If you feel you've been biten hard enough.

richardantony

Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:14 am

Bland Bay is about 3 1/2 Hrs from Helensville so another 1/2 Hr from Auckland.Although depends on the traffic, I go the back way SH16 which is a great run. Yeah Im really happy with the Espri although no idea how you are supposed to reach and unscrew all the covers while you are out on the water without going tits up. I must get together with some locals like you mentioned and pick their brains. Talking about that, as you can see I have the anchor system which can be a bit scarry at times, what are these drouges (is that what its called) like and which one to get???

Kingfish killer
Kayak Make: Ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Ultra Prowler 4.3
VHF Call Sign: kingfish killer

Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Drogues are sea anchors , you use them when you want to drift slowly while fishing .
Ive had expensive ones but now use the the cheap youvella brand which the warehouse sell for between $20 and $40 . Buy the large one .

kayak chris
Kayak Make: ocean Kayak
Kayak Model: Prowler Ultra
VHF Call Sign: ZMT8810

Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Up I can vouch for the good old wharehouse youvella ones too.
Well worth the $30 or so.
I haven't used a real anchor (other than when spearfishing) for a couple of years.
Basic idea of a drogue is it's like a parachute that you deploy to slow your drift down.

Kayaks-
Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.7, Ocean Kayak Prowler Ultra 4.3, Tahe Greenlander T, Mission Eco Bezhig, Perception Expedition, Bliss-Stick Flip Stick

Jigheads Paddling and Fishing team member,
Come visit us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

richardantony

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Cheers guys sounds like you saved me a bob or too there, so its off to the warehouse to get myself a bargin. ;) Next question,have you come across some good hooks to hang the kayak in the garage.

Mental
Site Admin

Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:19 am

richardantony wrote:Next question,have you come across some good hooks to hang the kayak in the garage
Check out this thread - http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... ley#p14265

And this one - http://www.kayakfishingnz.com/forum/vie ... 1&start=10

Cheers, Mental
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

richardantony

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:09 am

Back to the Drouge question, I asked the trouble and strife to pick up the largest one they had at the warehouse, it was $60 and a wopping 42", before i open it up i notice tis not the "youvella" thow speakest of. It is made by "anglersmate". Did everyone get a bargin except me? what you think all good or too big
ps good weather coming chaps

Mental
Site Admin

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 am

Youvella / Anglers mate = same thing

The 42" is probably a touch too big unless you have something over 4.5m, the next size down 36" is a very popular kayak size...

Others probably picked theirs up during a "30% off Fishing" sale at the Warehouse which seems to come around every few weeks ;)
Phoenix Kayaks - Hornet
Stealth - Evolution 465

sk8e8
Kayak Make: Profish
Kayak Model: 400

Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 am

I'm sure it will be fine :)
Jigheads Paddling and Fishing Team Member
http://www.facebook.com/Jigheadspaddlingandfishing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yak PBs. Snapper: 18lb 12oz @ Cuvier * John Dory: 4lb 6oz @ Cuvier * Kingfish: 10kg @ Mayor Island * Blue Nose: 22.7kg @ White Island * Hapuka: 8kg @ White Island * Skipjack Tuna: 5lb @ Auckland

Yamaha FXHO
Viking Profish 400 * Pinnacle Elite * Viking Profish 440 * Mission Catch 420

• Information